rj ojeda Guest

Default New Homeowner - Need A/C drain advice!

Hi everyone, I'm RJ, new homeowner and need some advice on my A/C setup. Here is the breakdown:
    • 2 Units, both primary drains lead to seoperate bathroom sinks (before the p trap underneath each sink)
    • Unit 1 does have a p trap right after the pipe comes out of the unit (Unit 1 pic) There is no clean out or vent (before or after).
    • Unit 2 has no t trap where it comes out of the unit, and no vent or clean out access (Unit 2 pic)
    The drain pan on Unit 2 looks like it has filled up in the past. I just want to make sure I get this set up correctly before something drastic happens. Both units are in the attic and would cause CRAZY damage I'm sure if water leaked down throughout the house. Please give me advice on what I should do. I know only what ive been reading on threads and inetnet searches, but I would like to learn more and know how I can set up my drain systems to where I can sleep at night without constantly going up to make sure no water is backing up into drain pans (or worse). Thanks a bunch!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: New Homeowner - Need A/C drain advice!

First off, I would recommend replacing the drip pan under the unit. (The big rusty galvanized pan.
    It has rusted (and rust will continue) so much that there is rust on the outside of the pan.
    This is your last line of defense and it is only a matter of time until it begins to leak if it is not leaking already.

Periodic maintenance of the primary drain is needed to keep in from clogging.
    Stuff grows inside the drain that will eventually clog the main drain so a properly functioning pan with a drain to a conspicuous location is necessary.

I personally like to see a water sensor installed in the secondary drain port on the coil box. This is a $20 part that is easily installed.
    This shuts down the system if a clog backs up water inside the coil box.
    This will get your attention before something worse happens and then you have the drip pan that is there if something malfunctions on the primary and secondary drains.

I will leave the proper piping of the traps, vents, indirect connection to others.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

rj ojeda Guest

Is swtiching the drain pan something something a DIY'er could do alone? I was thinking maybe get two guys to lift the unit, and one person to slide out the old one (after unattaching the drain lines from the side of the pan).

Also, I have read on many sites that you could hook up a shop vac to the end of the primary drain line to remove any gunk build up. With the drain line going to the bathroom sink, and no vent in the line at the unit, does anyone know what I would have to do to perform this shop vac cleaning?

I am guessing I would undo the hose underneath the sink, attach the shop vac there....but what about not having a vent by the unit? How would that affect sucking any gunk build up?

If I am going about it the wrong way entirely, can someone let me know what the process would require (with my current setup)? Thanks.

Looks like there was a section of pipe replaced about where you'd expect the trap. I know up here I've seen traps freeze and crack the pipe, only to start leaking during A/C season.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

rj ojeda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Looks like there was a section of pipe replaced about where you'd expect the trap. I know up here I've seen traps freeze and crack the pipe, only to start leaking during A/C season.
    The only recommendation I got out of the home inspection, regarding the A/C drain pipes was this:

Recommend installing a T on the primary drain lines to provide access for a bleach water solution.

After researcing on my own and reading up on threads, I am introducted to the p-trap (which wasnt mentioned at all), and a vent after the p-trap. Advice I find online varies of course, but some people say to have a T before the p trap and after (one for a vent after the ptrap and a capped one before the ptrap to pour bleach solution).

None of this was mentioned in the report, and I didnt know about it until after researching on my own. That is where I hope to get some good advice from you all. Believe me every comment and feedback is much appreciated.

The vent goes after the trap. Use a vacuum at the drain connection below the sink and cap the vent by the trap to clean the entire line.
    You can install a tee ahead of the trap to introduce bleach but keep it capped at all other times. The attached photo shows a water sensor installed in the secondary drain.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Can you extend the lines to a floor drain somewhere? If so, you can just run the line to it and eliminate the p-traps on the A/C drain lines as you are not directly connected to the plumbing system, then there is no chance of water freezing or debris to settle in the trap. This is not a high flowing line so getting rid of traps would help, and going to a floor drain would allow you to see that water is draining.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post
    Can you extend the lines to a floor drain somewhere? If so, you can just run the line to it and eliminate the p-traps on the A/C drain lines as you are not directly connected to the plumbing system, then there is no chance of water freezing or debris to settle in the trap. This is not a high flowing line so getting rid of traps would help, and going to a floor drain would allow you to see that water is draining.
    Wrong. The unit is in an attic, not part of the conditioned space so there is no floor drain available and the lack of a trap means pressurized conditioned air is wasting to the attic.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Didn’t really consider the drain lines from the units, in unconditioned space, as the chamber would be cool in the summer and warm in the winter, kind of creating its own conditioned space, but I see your point and didn’t think about the drip pan looking back at the pictures. I was looking at getting the traps out of an area that can cause freezing, although I don’t know where he lives, and prevent the pipe from cracking and then leaking. Or, if the trap is frozen and the furnace drains any water it will run all over the place, seen it happen.

My thought was to run the lines to a floor drain in the house and you could always install a trap before the floor drain or a running trap, depending how the pipe gets there. Per WI plumbing code the drain lines from the furnace cannot connect the p-trap of the bathroom sinks, it is a code violation, and was tossing out an option. And, since it would not be part of the plumbing system you can pretty much do whatever you want on how to drain it.