Thread: Boise Versa Lam

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Boise Versa Lam

Anyone know if Boise Vera Lams require hangers along a ridge beam connection or if toe nailing is acceptable. SFH built in 08

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: Boise Versa Lam

If the joint of the rafter to the ridge board had been done well in other respects, the toe nailing would have been adequate. However, the gap in the joint is excessive and the ridge board is too small for the rafter size, since it doesn't support the entire cut end of the rafter. Because of these shortcomings, this is a weak joint that needs all the help it can get.

I do not see a reference to toe nailing, and do not believe it to be allowed.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Darrel Hood Guest

If I am interpreting the OP's photo correctly, the question is about the connection of dimensional lumber rafters to a Versa Lam beam. The posted instructions are about how to attach a Versa Lam beam to other members. Apples and oranges. In the case of the OP's photo, the Versa Lam is not taking the rafter load; it is only providing a bearing surface.

I wouldn't bet my life savings on it, but I think the toe nailing would be OK if the joint was cut and fitted well.

Darrel Hood Guest

Anybody got some salt? I have to eat some crow. After enlarging the photos I was able to see the rafters are also Versa Lam. I think additional support is needed to comply with the manufacturer's instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Anybody got some salt? I have to eat some crow.
    Take it from an expert: crow is better when made into a pie with lots of sugar . .

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.