Default Re: Home Inspector Shakeup

What changes?

This is nothing short of what ASHI did with ICE who certified ASHI as meeting a criteria for certifying its members.

It will not change the industry, because at this point in time its a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). It is not carved in stone and will not affect those provinces with licencing or will not affect non aligned or aligned inspectors with other associations.

Besides who can really trust announcements with Bill Mullen as spokesperson given the history of his embellishments and other misnomers he has propagated over the years.

Here is what Mr. Mullen had to say on the OAHI site.

August 10, 2012 ---

“The CSA and the NHICC have today signed an MOU to outline the general terms of discussion between Canadian Standards Association, operating as CSA Group (“CSA”), and National Home Inspector Certification Council (“NHICC”) to permit them to explore potential opportunities for the future continuation and delivery of the NHICC National Home Inspector Personnel Certification Program for the mutual benefit of both CSA’s and NHICC’s clients and other stakeholders. CSA and NHICC have agreed to discuss business models by which the NHICC’s National Home Inspector Personnel Certification Program would be offered by CSA.“

We all know about the CSA and its stature. The NHICC has been recognized and accredited by the CSA recently and we have been successful in signing an MOU with them. This loudly validates the work of the NHICC to salvage and independently, objectively and inclusively administer the National Certification Program after CAHPI foolishly abandoned it. The exclusive agreement will see the two organizations develop a CSA version of the NHICC National Certification. (Same program, just stronger branding) This provides the NHICC with a level of credibility and recognition that has never been available to any home inspection certification program. Unquestionably, this development makes it logical for all of us to look at how this can benefit and perhaps even help unify the home inspection industry. Additionally, consumers and other stakeholders such as government agencies will have a strong cadre of inspectors to hire and recommend.

Inspectors can either be 'CSA Approved National Home Inspectors' or not. I want to be one........and I will.

If the OAHI CAFE police don't like this message, they can go away and cry because they and their BOD partners have no idea how to run an organization.

The NHICC has grabbed the Brass Ring because they have done things right and did not cave in to the rot and fraud of the Sutherland/Guihan/Swan adninsitrations.

Apply to the NHICC now while it is simple.

Bill Mullen

Claude

Perhaps you and Mr. Mullen should not be touting this program as a fete di compli as it is being promoted in your organizations news release.

CSA considering whether to take over training, regulation of home inspectors - thestar.com

The two groups are in “very preliminary discussions” to see if they can build “a strong, credible, consistent and sustainable” national home inspector certification program that would provide better protections for homebuyers, said Anthony Toderian, manager of corporate affairs for CSA Group.
    Accuracy in announcements to the press from your group has always been a problem, so its not surprising to see misleading press releases.

I think I will have to seek clarification from Anthony Toderian, manager of corporate affairs for CSA Group to get the real story, because its evident no one can trust the other info in the news releases.

Does CSA know about the misleading news releases?

Raymond. how many HI associations are there in Ontario now?
    In my mind, CSA approval might be a good marketing spin, but until something is made mandatory in your province, HI's will continue to do what they do now, go with whatever group suits their purpose best.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John

Last count 5 associations.

And still the consumer does not really know about the various associations. Even OAHI and the supposed coveted RHI is not readily known outside Toronto.

Even OAHI has found it necessary to suspend Mr. Mullen the NHICC spokesperson once again for persistently posting false information on the OAHI site.

Its regrettable a so called national body once again has been caught fudging facts in press releases, not the first time and it won't be the last.

It's interesting...they say NHICC is not an association, and it has no members. They are a third party even though it's directors, officers and representatives / spoke persons either teach courses and or supply inspection support services, get paid for TIPR's or whatever with respect to NHICC programs.

Most amazingly, they seem to think they know what's best for inspectors and feel they represent the best interests of all Canadian inspectors! Now that's independent? No agenda pushing whatsoever? NHICC took the program from CAHPI and CMHC/CSC that me and others paid for, along with CMHC (close to a million dollars)...they paid nothing for it, and are profiting from it.

To me, it wreaks of a class action. I am surprised that CAPHI is not suing them and the three individuals mentioned by Mr. Mullen as rot and fraud.

Where are they getting the money from to have CSA certify the standard? When will they be asking for more money to pay for that? What cut will CSA be paying NHICC for the courses and training CSA put on? Oh yeah...NHICC is private and doesn't have to cough up financials...but they speak for all Canadian inspectors!

Claude as CEO of NHICC, once again you are not ensuring the accuracy of the information being released and you permit your chief spokesperson to speculate and promote false information?

Claude

When are you going to address the matter of the misleading PR releases and statements made by your spokesperson? This seems to be an ongoing problem as Rudolf points out.

I think it would behoove NHICC to ensure accuracy in its press releases, after all you claim NHICC is a professional body.

Bill Mullen Has Done It Again! - InterNACHI Inspection Forum

Exclamation Re: Home Inspector Shakeup

As Chair of the NHICC its apparent Mr. Lawrenson sees nothing wrong with misleading press releases, has the audacity to explain the purposely worded oversite as puffery!

Claude Lawrenson wrote:
    Puffery is a self-evident exaggeration of the properties of the thing being advertised or reported. It is not intended to be taken literally. In fairness "puffery" is a well known in the art of marketing - regardless of association. So if one wants to dig deep enough - there's plenty to go around.

The opinions of the reporter are just that - the reporters words! Do you believe everything you read?

If we all had to spend our time correcting misquotes from the media, or even confusion in the readers "interpretation" than we would be spending a lot of time and resources.

Puffery has always been used in marketing and more to the point - association building - and will most likely continue. I see a lot of it here almost every day. As I stated before just look around on some of the "stuff" posted on this MB over the years.

Just my observations as a wannabe .....maintenance engineer!
    Given that you sir extoll your virtues as a college professor I am sure you would be quick to correct any materials in your course or would not knowingly make false statements to your students. And as a home inspection supply company owner and course provider at Humber College I am most certain you would see to it that all aspects of your report forms and courses are accurate and wouldn't offer excuses as you have here in your quoted posts!

I won't even get into your pontificating about ethics and professionalism.

I also understand why you have chosen not to debate this matter because its apparent all you have to offer is excuses.

Toronto Sun
    Toronto SUN

The Whig Standard
    EXCLUSIVE: Home inspector shakeup | Local | News | The Kingston Whig-Standard

CSA considering whether to take over training, regulation of home inspectors - thestar.com

The two groups are in “very preliminary discussions” to see if they can build “a strong, credible, consistent and sustainable” national home inspector certification program that would provide better protections for homebuyers, said Anthony Toderian, manager of corporate affairs for CSA Group.

It was even necessary that your own spokesperson for NHICC had to explain to some of your other members the following...

"ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!

First of all, CSA does not yet even have a home inspection category.

Second, the CSA and NHICC have a lot of work to do to determine the best way to integrate the NHICC certification model into their system.

I expect we will be a few months before all the details are in place, so there will be no CSA Certified inspectors for a while.

Also, only NHICC NHI certificants will qualify, such as you, Doug. Those who were certified under the old CAHPI system do not qualify unless they transfer to the NHICC.

This project will take a while but it is worth it. Be patient, my friend.

Bill Mullen
    "

Further Claude as chair of the NHICC you may also want to instruct your spokesperson Mr. Mullen to apologize to the three gentleman of CAHPI an apology for calling them thieves.

I guess that is part and parcel why Mr. Mullen was suspended from the OAHI forum for making remarks his mouth can't back up.

Claude I want to thank you and your group for once again stooping so low, keep up the good misdeeds.

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 08-22-2012 at 04:07 AM.

8/21/2012 7:49:48 PM
    President's Update

In response the OAHI presidents communication to day I would like to make the following clarifications.
    There was a limited press release which went out to attract inspectors to an information meeting held in Ottawa last Wed. At the meeting was an inspector who was there in his role as a reporter for the Sun Media chain. The article he wrote got picked up by many of the Sun Newspapers. The editors had the right to edit and to choose a headline. As a result the message was not uniform across the country.

To help clarify things for inspectors and the OAHI board. The NHICC and the CSA have a signed Memorandum of Understanding to work together on the development of a standard for a CSA recognized Home Inspector. This would be consistent across Canada. It is not a done deal but preliminary discussions are very positive and it is expected to be completed by early next year. CSA did a lot of home work before they approached the NHICC and asked if it would be interested in working on such a project. They examined all the Associations and decided that the NHICC was the only independent body and that the model they were using was very close to what CSA was looking for. The NHICC model tries for close compliance to CAN P 9. The CSA follows ISO and the standards are close.

The MOU is exclusive and no other organization will be part of the discussions. The outcome will be delivered by two organizations only, CSA and the NHICC. However, it will positively impact the entire industry.
    The CSA is also looking at developing a Standard of Practice for Canada. They are talking to inspectors from many inspectors both inside and outside organizations to develop a SOP. This is not the same project that the NHICC is proceeding with.

Legal actions may be being considered but the NHICC is on very firm ground and has the written support of CSC (which owns the National Certification Program) to proceed.

The NHICC also has permission from CSC to work with CSA to develop a national inspection program. CAHPI has been promoting the idea that they own the program. They don’t

The National Occupation Standard is owned by CMHC. The revision in 2008 was done by CAHPI (and others) but it was done with government money and when that happens it is in the public domain.

Lets talk about confusion. In 2010 CAHPI cancelled the National Certification Program. They canceled the National Certification Holder. Then they extended it till June of 2011. They then gave it to people for life. I don’t know what the CAHPI designation is but it is not the National Certification program. It meets few of the criteria necessary to implement the program. For some time CAHPI has been telling people they are going to harmonize the RHI and recognize that across the country. I sat on the OAHI board for 5 years. The regions are simply never going to agree and the will never harmonize the RHI I resigned because it was clear that the OAHI board had no intention of working with the other regions and that they did not negotiate in good faith.

There is no gag order in place. The NHICC had the CSA permission to talk to the reporter and others.
    Now the work is to fulfill the project and when that is done more information will be available.
    In the message today the president makes a snide reference to politeness.

At the NHICC meeting in Ottawa the moderator Jim Robar made it very clear that there would be a time for questions at the end of the meeting and asked that people save their questions and comments till that time.
    During the presentation the President of OAHI stood up and started berating the moderator for things he had said.

When the time came for questions at the end the President was silent.
    This was unacceptable behavior for anyone but particularly from someone in authority who understands about process.

I was embarrassed and I call on the president to write a letter of apology to Jim Robar

George Webb
    "The MOU is exclusive and no other organization will be part of the discussions. The outcome will be delivered by two organizations only, CSA and the NHICC."

Translation: We're a private company, don't speak for or represent the Canadian inspection industry, are not an association, and are doing so through a non-profit so that favoured inspectors, their training agencies & support vehicles, can reap the benefits without anyone being able to complain sufficiently to make them change their ways. Oh yeah, and so CSA can make a whack of money too.

Claude, I trust you have read the following?
    http://www.nationalhomeinspector.org/H_governStruct.pdf

From the OAHI Website - Presidents Message.

Claude, looks like you stumbled into a mine field, too bad things are backfiring.
    So much for truth in so called puffery advertising.

From the OAHI Website - Presidents Message.
    OAHI Member Update - August 2012 - Ontario Association of Home Inspectors
    CSA did What ! ?

A recent NHICC press release, through the Sun Media, lead to a flurry of actions and calls concerning the CSA and NHICC. Regrettably, we have also seen a great deal of misinformation (polite understatement) on our Knowledge Café from OAHI members involved with the NHICC.

Researching and responding to these bush fires was time consuming and a waste of personal and organizational resources. The confusion in the sector requires a response. Legal actions are being considered by Associations related to the behaviour and claims of the NHICC. CSA are receiving letters and phone calls as it would appear they did not do all their homework before associating with NHICC.

As an example, a question for participants preparing for a meeting through CSA asks "Would your organization participate in the development of a national home inspection standard?" As the saying goes "Been there - Done That" Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI) completed the National Occupational Standards for Canada through all of the Provincial and Regional representatives. It was an expensive and thorough project. It is owned by CAHPI.

Associations are very angry at the confusion generated by NHICC and the media. There is a gag order in place so, if you see any additional mis-information from NHICC be sure to let CSA know about it.

Ted Menelly Guest

This whole thing is sounding just a bit european, I mean Canadian to me. I was shocked when europe agreed upon the whole euro thing. Imagine that, they all agreed at the same time, europe?

Canada may be a country but it is still every city, I mean Province I mean man for himself.

“In seeking truth you have to get both sides of a story.” Walter Cronkite

As such and because “we” are dealing with a “confidentiality” agreement – mums the word! You will get the other side of the story – when the privacy part is lifted.

On the issue of the OAHI release - CSC owns the NCP - period, we have the documents to validate that! Are you going to ask CAHPI and OAHI to correct their "misleading" information?

The NHICC has never claimed ownership, so who is misleading whom?

What a tangled web they weave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Canada may be a country but it is still every city, I mean Province I mean man for himself.
    What is amazing is that there are only said to be about 1500 HI's in the whole country. So it may be possible to consolidate the whole bunch, but ... it won't happen anytime soon. (here's more bait to get a response from Claude, who appears to be ignoring his nemesis, RW).

It will only happen if it is passed into federal law. What's the incentive to do that? Realtors don't want it, and that's where the $$$ lies.

The province of BC has licensing, so at least here, it is not every man for himself. Here, we toe the line, carry insurance, take training, follow SOP's and pay the exorbitant fees or we don't work. As I said elsewhere, we don't need another level of government enforcing yet another list of criteria and fees. It would all be redundant.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John - things change....and people change....and no need to bait. I can talk about some things and not some "other" things.

You may be surprised what Realtors want, than again there are some that follow a different beat too!

My figures there's over 6000 home inspectors in Canada. Of that over 50% are non-aligned with any association. INACHI seems to be making big strides, or at least claim to be doing so.

On another note BC CP has a committee of the associations reviewing (considering) one uniform SOP, amongst a few other details considered for re-tweaking.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Lawrenson View Post
    “In seeking truth you have to get both sides of a story.” Walter Cronkite

As such and because “we” are dealing with a “confidentiality” agreement – mums the word! You will get the other side of the story – when the privacy part is lifted.

On the issue of the OAHI release - CSC owns the NCP - period, we have the documents to validate that! Are you going to ask CAHPI and OAHI to correct their "misleading" information?

The NHICC has never claimed ownership, so who is misleading whom?

What a tangled web they weave.
    Yes Claude the only tangled web being spun is by you and your group who have a history of misleading statements, knowingly releasing info to the press, and then when it comes to light the info is very misleading you and your spokesperson do nothing. Then make excuses, just as you are doing here!

A couple of years ago the Nat. Cert. people held a Licencing symposium wherein they invited inspectors.

Well what turned into a informational session turned into a love-in between CREA (Cdn Real Estate Assoc) and CAHPI Nat. Cert.

The CREA executive director stood up and announced that in conjunction with CAPHI CREA would have its members lobby the government for licencing of home inspectors.

Then Mr. Mullen stated to the London papers that all 5000 home inspectors would be licenced by December of that year. FALSE, and those comments in the press were never corrected.

Now the news release not approved by CSA, and knowing there is tremendous fallout shrug it off as puffery!

Nat. Cert. is nothing but your cronies certifying each other, and an executive appointed by YOU. It is nothing but a private company setting up house and claiming its a non association with obvious conflicts. And its apparent your appointees on the NHICC council haven't got a clue what is being done.

There is also the matter of the collapse of the first efforts of Nat. Cert. wherein you and your friends were part of the problem.

It appears the only thing you and Mullen have accomplished is a fire storm of anti NHICC feelings and CSA is in damage control because of it.

Lets not forget about the past statements that Nat. Cert. was compliant wtih CAN P9 which it is not because it has not been audited.

Lets not forget about the bragging that Nat. Cert. would be recognized by ICE (Institute for Credentialing Excellence)

If you don't want controversy in the future ensure the accuracy of the message and get rid of Mr. Mullen as spokesperson because he creates more controversies than you can extinguish.

And now you are contradicting what G. Webb said above, THERE IS NO GAG ORDER. Now you say there is. You guys can't even get your stories strait.

And while Mr. Webb is suggesting a letter of apology to Mr. Robar, you may want to direct Mr. Mullen to write a letter of apology for libeling Mr. Guihan, Mr. Swan, and Mr. Sutherland.

Lastly, the claim there was a Sun Media reporter in the Ottawa meeting who got it all wrong is a misnomer, otherwise the Kingston Whig Standard which was reported by Mr. Allen would not of got it wrong too.

Take a training course on how to extinguish fires, you will need it.

Attached Files Attached Files

The mis-information is the result of those not directly involved with advances within this industry who surmise what they hear to suit the party lines.

One example - CAHPI claims ownership of the NCP (National Certification Program), and OAHI has used that premise to "punish" and "threaten" NHICC directors. The "truth" of the ownership is - its "public domain". CSC (Construction Sector Council) has a MOU which CLEARLY states ownership is held by CSC for the "industry".

Counterpoint: The NHICC has written documents indicating that it is licensed and has the approval of CSC to use the NCP.

Comment: So CAHPI & OAHI can spin it how ever they want, but they certainly are not owners, and have acted unfairly and with bias towards the NHICC.

The NHICC has never claimed ownership of the NCP, however it has the "right" to use it as it was always rightfully intended.

Comment: This leads to questions about CAHPI's sudden interest to resurrect it (NCP)? Why give NCH's a free life-time use, with no obligation to uphold the original standards of maintenance and re-testing. What have they done in the last 2 years to remain even close to CAN-P-9 compliant?

That in itself puts CAHPI in non-compliance with ISO standards, a condition of maintaining the "program".

This ultimately leads me to the comment about the GAG ORDER. For clarification "I" nor any other director of the NHICC" have received a GAG ORDER, other than the threat by OAHI, in their news release as legally challengeable rhetoric. To date, at best, I have been removed from the OAHI forum for posting about the NCP. Seems real facts upset people!

Reality check for OAHI & CAHPI - Why would the NHICC use the NCP unless they (NHICC) legally have the right and documents to do so?

On the other point of clarification the only agreement signed was the MOU between CSA-NHICC for the "project" of exploring the common benefits of mutual interest for the NCP. With that the NHICC has agreed on upholding a "confidentiality agreement" to avoid releasing project specific work details.

So misinformation comes in many shapes and forms. It can be readily posted by people that think they know what exactly "we" are really doing!

The mis-information is the result of those not directly involved with advances within this industry who surmise what they hear to suit the party lines.
    1. This is not about what is heard and read, it is about the continual abandonment of a standard of honest dissemination of information of which your party has a history of doing.

One example - CAHPI claims ownership of the NCP (National Certification Program), and OAHI has used that premise to "punish" and "threaten" NHICC directors. The "truth" of the ownership is - its "public domain". CSC (Construction Sector Council) has a MOU which CLEARLY states ownership is held by CSC for the "industry".

2. There is no argument who owns the document, the fact is anyone with an agenda can use the CSC document , which is exactly why it’s a public domain document, not to mention taxpayer money was used in the creation of the report.

Counterpoint: The NHICC has written documents indicating that it is licensed and has the approval of CSC to use the NCP.
    3. Never argued that it was not licenced.

Again its irrelevant in the conversation, ownership can be obtain by anyone who wishes to use the program.
    4. Yes that correct as I pointed out above in item 2, above.

Comment: So CAHPI & OAHI can spin it however they want, but they certainly are not owners, and have acted unfairly and with bias towards the NHICC.
    5. That is a two way street, and frankly OAHI is not the most honest organization given the internal rot and accountability particularly with the financial issues and dropping membership numbers.

The NHICC has never claimed ownership of the NCP, however it has the "right" to use it, as it was always rightfully intended.
    6. Here we go again, earlier in the program when CAHPI managed the program you were repeatedly asked about ownership to which the reply was that CAHPI owned the program only for us who bothered to check turned out to be another erroneous statement. Only after repeated questions and letter writing did your party admit it was owned by CSC. Then to further muddy the waters it was found out that CAHPI lent the NC body $50K in seed money. Then we find out that there was financial accountability issues, missing monies collected from applicants when the first NC collapased. Then threats of lawsuits and complaints to the RCMP.

Comment: This leads to questions about CAHPI's sudden interest to resurrect it (NCP)? Why give NCH's a free life-time use, with no obligation to uphold the original standards of maintenance and re-testing. What have they done in the last 2 years to remain even close to CAN-P-9 compliant?
    7. I have no idea why CAHPI chose the route it has, but I do know turf wars, personality conflicts, and association domination play into the matter and most certainly the use of or control of the program is in the end about money and domination.

As to compliance with CAN P9 again this issue is moot until such time as stated in CAN P9 that one is only in compliance WHEN the Nat. Cert. program has been audited for compliance to the P9 standard. Until such time as that happens the repeated refrain from your group that you closely comply is irrelevant and a court would have a hard time being convinced that there is compliance based on someones say so.

That in itself puts CAHPI in non-compliance with ISO standards, a condition of maintaining the "program".
    8. If that is the case take the matter up with CAHPI.

This ultimately leads me to the comment about the GAG ORDER. For clarification "I" nor any other director of the NHICC" have received a GAG ORDER, other than the threat by OAHI, in their news release as legally challengeable rhetoric. To date, at best, I have been removed from the OAHI forum for posting about the NCP. Seems real facts upset people!
    9. I am very familiar with the manner in which OAHI operates, the fact they removed you from the forum is another issue, which frankly is an discipline matter wherein your rights have been breached with out the legal aspect of having a hearing.

As a provincial body recognized by the government OAHI appears to be in breach of Charter guarantees as per your rights to freedom of association and thought. But OAHI has always had and used discriminatory actions.

Even more concerning is the fact the discipline action also including removal of your name and others from Find the Inspector function is contrary to the by-laws and the policy manual of OAHI. Simply put: placing comments/discussion on a forum which are association related is not conduct unbecoming which is for all technical purposes is what you have been pegged.

That is a discriminatory action, and not surprising given the timidness of the board of directors and ignorance given the new President of OAHI has a Honours degree in Education. So much for being educated in proper procedure and the law.

Secondly OAHI is in financial straits, with declining membership, their threat of legal action is moot. They don’t have any money to get into a pissing match of which they may lose.

Reality check for OAHI & CAHPI - Why would the NHICC use the NCP unless they (NHICC) legally have the right and documents to do so?

10. Because any body (association or private body) so inclined can use the program as alluded by you above, it’s a public document and CSC will grant use to anyone who applies as I have been told.

On the other point of clarification the only agreement signed was the MOU between CSA-NHICC for the "project" of exploring the common benefits of mutual interest for the NCP. With that the NHICC has agreed on upholding a "confidentiality agreement" to avoid releasing project specific work details.

11. Yes MOU which is not a contract, is in preliminary discussions. However this goes right back to the press releases of which embellishments seem to be the intent along with scare mongering once again by Mr. Mullen to drive members your way in order to keep the numbers up which is required to financially run the NC program.

So misinformation comes in many shapes and forms. It can be readily posted by people that think they know what exactly "we" are really doing! Yesterday
    12. Yes misinformation comes in many shapes and forms and history has shown that misinformation, premature statements, facts which upon further investigation turn out to be un-true by those who know exactly what they are doing.

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 08-26-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Claude

It is totally unacceptable for you and your cohorts to be promoting false info through a press release in The Whig Standard as factual and with no mention whatsoever in that press release that it's a MOU.Did you really think promoting misinformation on ASHI was professional without full disclosure of the facts?

The Toronto Star article which got the story right has been purposely omitted in all of this.

It's very apparent that NHICC will go to any lengths to disseminate false information in order to feather the nest of NHICC, very professional indeed, and its not the first time.

Daniel Leung Guest

The MOU between CSA & NHICC is over - no National Certification Program now. The following is the NHICC announcement on September 26:

The NHICC has from its inception sought to have the National Certification Program formally recognized by a third party accrediting agency. This is why our organization became a member of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE) and is in the final stages of full accreditation with them.

Some time ago the NHICC was approached by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). CSA expressed an interest in absorbing the NHICC and our version of the NCP under the CSA umbrella. The goal was to work together to develop a strong, independent and inclusive certification program for Home Inspectors in Canada. To that end we entered into negotiations that resulted in an MOU between the NHICC and CSA.

Following a NHICC information session in Ottawa, newspaper articles were published by several newspapers across the Canada. The message was inconsistent as only one paper was represented at this session and other editors have chosen to focus on different interpretations of hearsay. During the weeks that followed the CSA phone lines and e-mails were busy as a small group of people discussed what the CSA - NHICC Certification project was and what it would mean to them. As a result of the fallout it became clear that any efforts to continue with the NHICC / CSA project would be difficult and counterproductive. CSA asked to terminate the MOU, and the NHICC agreed in the interest of harmony and for the good of the industry.

CSA will continue to work with the entire industry, including the NHICC, on another project to develop a common set of Standards of Practice, but the Certification project will not move forward for now.

Our detractors have since resorted to public displays of misinformation as they try to pillory the NHICC. The need for independent third party certification is now even more obvious and urgent, since the industry backlash and misdirected anger have clearly shown that home inspectors cannot and will not ever unify on our own.

The NHICC will continue to seek expansion of our certification program and will pursue our ongoing ICE application as well as maintaining working relationships with several other stakeholders. Be assured that even with everything transpiring now within the industry, the NHICC registrant members who are qualified with the NHI designation will not be affected - the current qualification and designation will be preserved.

The NHICC continues in its commitment to work with the industry, stakeholders and consumers to promote the value of a truly independent ISO certified home inspection certification process. We will continue to be a voice for the profession on opportunities to collaborate with the industry and other like-minded professional associations.

Thank you Daniel!

I guess I am one of the ones who pilloried the news releases and the NHICC is at fault for intentionally and purposely releasing false information which was misleading. Only one paper got the story straight and that was the Toronto Star.

Nor did NHICC attempt to salvage their purposely desired intent to use "puffery" in an attempt to gain members for its own self serving purposes - money to keep the organization alive.

Our detractors have since resorted to public displays of misinformation as they try to pillory the NHICC
    Really! Hypocrisy alive and well.

No one to blame but management of NHICC for writing their own epitaph!

Further the national inspection standards being proposed and researched further by CSA will also have to look at the manner in which two associations conduct their internal disciplinary processes which frankly have been proven to be less than ethical and to a standard befitting so called self regulating bodies.

You can't have national standards without a discipline process and I will pursue that matter with the CSA.

CSA asked to terminate the MOU, and the NHICC agreed in the interest of harmony and for the good of the industry.
    Just summarizing it for you. LOL

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Ya harmony. In this case its a oxymoron.