Default Dryer Outlet on back side of shower wall

Just completed a home inspection were I found dryer outlet on the same wall as the shower control valves. It didn't feel right, the outlet is less than 3 feet from a water source, in fact the outlet is 6 to 8 inches from the front of the shower and two feet above the washer valves. The washer valves and the shower valves share the same water source.
    I am inclined to have the outlet moved but wasn't sure if it was really wrong, other than the 3 feet rule.
    If you look close at the picture, you can see the outlet just about 6 to 8 inches in on the back side of the shower wall. Just doesn't feel right

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Dryer Outlet on back side of shower wall

There is no NEC issue with this installation.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Barr View Post
    Just completed a home inspection were I found dryer outlet on the same wall as the shower control valves. It didn't feel right, the outlet is less than 3 feet from a water source, in fact the outlet is 6 to 8 inches from the front of the shower and two feet above the washer valves. The washer valves and the shower valves share the same water source.
    What code reference do you have for "water source"? This is not mentioned in any code I know of.

I am inclined to have the outlet moved but wasn't sure if it was really wrong, other than the 3 feet rule.
    Also, what qualifications or jurisdiction do you have to "have it moved"???

As stated, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this installation.
    Many DIYers and home-owners use the term "water source", and many question electric being in the same wall as piping or valves, but rarely is it a problem or violation.

I was more worried about the proximity of the shower with the dryer outlet, than the pipes in the wall. The wire comes down from above while the pipes come up from below. But thanks you have all been helpful. It is good to have the opinion of others

Craig, even a 120 receptacle only needs to be outside the footprint of the tub or shower as far as location.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Craig, even a 120 receptacle only needs to be outside the footprint of the tub or shower as far as location.
    And that 240 volt receptacle is still only 120 volts to ground - just like the 120 volt receptacle.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No mention of cord cap orientation in the NEC, only that the grounding prong is to have 'first make', 'last break'.
    That is, unless the cord manufacturer instructions dictate orientation. Any takers on that?
    An AHJ could possibly site strain on the cord cap and/or receptacle but that would be a stretch IMHO.

What about safety? Assume a pipe can leak at any time, which we all know they can. I'd hate to be the guy that steps into that shower to find that a new leak had developed and was spraying on the opposite wall and contacting the electrical box of the dryer outlet. Especially if the drain lines are copper. Forget code. I want to live! I'd definitely move the outlet. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Eckert View Post
    What about safety? Assume a pipe can leak at any time, which we all know they can. I'd hate to be the guy that steps into that shower to find that a new leak had developed and was spraying on the opposite wall and contacting the electrical box of the dryer outlet. Especially if the drain lines are copper. Forget code. I want to live! I'd definitely move the outlet. Just sayin'.
    Please explain how a pipe breaking in that wall with that circuit is any different than a pipe breaking in any other wall with that circuit or any other circuit???

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

I respect your opinion and am eager to read your posts online. I have learned a lot from your posts

Thanks for responding. I realize there are a lot of other similar situations, like a disposal outlet under a sink or a sump pump outlet in a damp crawl. I wasn't trying to say I think it was wrong to have that circuit arranged that way. Only expressing my own personal opinion. If I were wiring that circuit, I would have moved it to the wall behind the dryer, away from the water service. Just my opinion. I would not have called it on an inspection.

Jerry,

I respect your opinion and am eager to read your posts online. I have learned a lot from your posts

Thanks for responding. I realize there are a lot of other similar situations, like a disposal outlet under a sink or a sump pump outlet in a damp crawl. I wasn't trying to say I think it was wrong to have that circuit arranged that way. Only expressing my own personal opinion. If I were wiring that circuit, I would have moved it to the wall behind the dryer, away from the water service. Just my opinion. I would not have called it on an inspection.
    Leaks tend to be unpredictable, by your logic receptacle would be dangerous if roof leaked above it, what if this, what if that, what if a pipe bursts and spray soaks a panel box on opposite wall 12' away. Most of the older homes around here have dangerous, obvious code violations, I would not have to create my own scenarios.

If I were wiring that circuit, I would have moved it to the wall behind the dryer, ...
    Marshall,

I also would have installed it on the wall behind the dryer - unless there was some physical reason it could not be installed there. But being near a water pipe would not affect its location.

Occasionally, someone here will post a photo of a clothes washer receptacle directly and immediately below a clothes washer connection box - right where leaking hoses and fittings to the clothes washer hose bibbs where any leak would be right into/onto the plug ... dumb and stupid? You bet. Against code? Nope.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

If you look close at the picture, you can see the outlet just about 6 to 8 inches in on the back side of the shower wall. Just doesn't feel right
    I'm looking close, I'm not seeing the outlet! Just dark indistinguishable shadow between laundry center & wall.

Are you saying the electrical equipment is installed in the same stud bay as the risers. shower arm & shower valves, or is there a stud between on the opposite side of a washed wall? Obviously the shower stall is not a tiled surface, from the perspective it is difficult to determine (tub/shower ppears set back) and unknown location of electrical equipment - as to IF the electrical equipment space is immediately behind a "washed wall" and/or if it is in a separated space (different stud-bay) than the riser, shower arm, mixing valves, etc.

Curious, as I don't see any indications otherwise (a door, etc.), is there any enclosing or partitioning between the shower with wand (see hose) and the required access space to use same (fixtures) and the laundry area? Is there any sink or lavatory present in this combined space?
    (Getting at is this an overall bathroom area with laundry area within?)

Still curious, and as I didn't look too closely, other questions come to mind, i.e. is this a 120V laundry center or 120V/240V? Is the dryer electric or fuel fired? If 125V is it GFCI protected and if so is the protective device readily accessible? Does the laundry center contain a condensing dryer? What provisions for make-up air and ventillation are provided for this combination laundry area and shower (and/or bathroom) area? Does this possible conjoined/combined space communicate directly (via other than a sealed weathertight door) to a sleeping room?

Is there an accessible laundry circuit-supplied grounded 125V occasional-use receptacle outlet present elsewhere, and if so where is it, and is it in addition to a bathroom circuit GFCI protected outlet supplied to the lavatory and/or sink if present? Is the (by me, unseen) receptacle you're asking about within a six-foot arc of a sink or lavatory? What about the lighting and ventillation for both "areas", how is this supplied?

Interestingly, one of the FIRST residential spaces required to be supplied with grounded-type 125V receptacles, was in laundry ares (40s.), long before NEMA standards adopted, or grounded type receptacles were required elsewhere in residences (60s).

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-18-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    You're seeing the dryer cord plugged into the receptacle. It has a colored label on it and it's upside down.
    No, I am not "seeing" that! I am only able to make out dark shadow-suggesting space with a hint of ambiguous color contrast within the shadowed area without planar distinction.

Look at the wall to the right of the dryer. The label on the cord can be seen just below the level of the top hinge. The description quoted below seemed to be enough for most to understand and visualize the installation.

From the first post:

I If you look close at the picture, you can see the outlet just about 6 to 8 inches in on the back side of the shower wall. Just doesn't feel right
    Would it make a difference if the receptacle was in a different stud bay than the one with plumbing in it? No.

Last edited by Jim Port; 08-19-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added quote

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I'm looking close, I'm not seeing the outlet! Just dark indistinguishable shadow between laundry center & wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    You're seeing the dryer cord plugged into the receptacle. It has a colored label on it and it's upside down.
    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    No, I am not "seeing" that! I am only able to make out dark shadow-suggesting space with a hint of ambiguous color contrast within the shadowed area without planar distinction.
    See attached, maybe you can see it now. In the second photo I adjusted the brightness and contrast to show it better, but I included the first photo so you cannot say that I doctored the photo.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com