Thread: Purlin missing

Kelly williams Guest

Default Purlin missing

We just had an inspection report done on a home we are buying. The owner is offering us a lump sum to fix what is on our list- one item was 3 missing purlins and one improper repair.
    My husband is somewhat handy- is this easily fixable? If we contracted it out can any one suggest what it may cost?

Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Kelly williams Guest

Default Re: Purlin missing

Here is a picture

Attached Files Attached Files

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Not a purlin. A support. And why is it wrong? Might be, but framing is a math formula and there isn't enough information. Loads and spans are calculated. Costs are too local to be determined here but if you wanted to make the changes it can't be much.

JLMathis

Framers put these braces in the roof mainly to prevent deflection ( sag ) of the rafters beyond the allowable limits. If the rafter is oversized like if they used 2x8s instead of 2x6s then the sag might be negligible. Not a big deal generally and not hard to fix.

It depends. Are the rafters sized to span the distance without additional bracing? Is there a bearing wall under the purlin braces, including the added brace in the lower picture? What is the going rate for a journeyman carpenter in your area?
    You need to get this evaluated by at least a licensed contractor/master carpenter. An architect or civil engineer would be better. While they are there, the "floor" joist should be looked at also to ensure they are adequate to support whatever load is intended to be placed on them (storage, HVAC equipment, etc.) Good luck.

Purlin looks to be undersized as well. Pretty common in older houses around here. The purlin should be at least the same size as the rafter.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    Not a purlin. A support.
    It would be a purlin if installed as shown on the photo. There are two basic types of purlins: 1) as shown in the photo; 2) for roofs, and there are several variations of purlins for roofs depending on the roof construction. (There may be additional types of purlins, but those are the two I can think of right now.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kelly williams Guest

Thank you all very much! I found someone who could make it out there to get me a quote. At least it will give me a idea of cost until I can get other quotes to compare it to.