James Newell Guest

Default Need help understanding inspector notes on panel/meter ground

Hello,

I am trying to sell a house (my new wife's house).

The inspector noted some issues which I think are easy fixes, such as one ground wire per screw on ground bar, and only one circuit per breaker, etc....easy fixes, but....

The inspector also noted the following:
    No visible ground wire attached to conduit that connects that panel board/breaker box and the meter box. A ground wire is required to be attached at conduit connecting panel board with meter-can.
    Is this internal, external, is there a special clamp/method of doing this?

I am hoping to avoid having to take the meter off to get this done (takes time to line all the people up) ....is this a possibility?

Does anyone know the method to use in making this fix?

Additional Information:
    I was hoping I would be able to do something like a "corner ground clamp" (picture below) on the meter, and one on the panel, and then run a ground wire between them.

If this is acceptable, what gauge should the wire be?

Thanks,
    Jim Newell

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by James Newell; 08-21-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add additional information
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Need help understanding inspector notes on panel/meter ground

Many home inspectors are willing to explain the findings to you.
    Give him (her) a call.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Anything is easy if you know how to do it. I suggest you contact a licensed electrician to do the work.

It sounds like he is talking about bonding the electrical panel (system). Although it may be physically possible to do this without removal of the meter (de-energizing) the system, it would be extremely dangerous and certainly not worth the risk.

I originally posted an in depth explanation of the process, but since I get the feeling that you are looking for DIY instructions, I have removed them.

If you have to ask how to do it, you shouldn't be doing it.

As far as lining people up, you only have to line up an electrician. He should be quite capable of lining everyone else up.

Whatever you believe you will save by doing it yourself is not worth the pain that you can incur. You can also do alot of costly damage. Go first class and do it right.

If you have a genuine buyer and this is all it takes to make it happen, don't let this blow the deal.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 08-21-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Further to what Steve said, an electrician will know exactly what is required, maybe nothing if the meter and panel board are indeed bonded already. Re: the work you apparently intend to take on in the panel. You would be advised to let the electrician make those simple repairs, as he will then take responsibility for any future grief, such as a short circuit, shock or fire associated with that panel, leaving you and your new wife free and clear.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Some of the inspectors information may be incorrect so a licensed eletrician should take a look to decipher if there even is an actual problem. For one thing, most equipment ground bars in panels are listed for 2 or 3 equipment grounding conductors. Also a service raceway (metallic raceway between the panel and meter enclosure requires bonding beyond that of standard locknuts. A bonding jumper may or may not be required depending on many different installation scenarios. As others have mentioned have an EC take a look you may not need to fix anything.
    Ditto.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Being handy around the house is great. Being a DIY'r is great. HOWEVER, when it comes to electrical work, do you and your wife a favor and call in an electrical contractor. You have three options when it comes to electrical. Option one, you get the job done right and all is well. Option two, the job goes wrong and the house burns down. Or option three the job goes wrong and you get electrocuted and are off to work on that DIY project in the sky. Since you loose on two out of three, do like the others suggest and get an electrical contractor to review your situation and perform any needed work. Your new wife will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson View Post
    Being handy around the house is great. Being a DIY'r is great. HOWEVER, when it comes to electrical work, do you and your wife a favor and call in an electrical contractor. You have three options when it comes to electrical. Option one, you get the job done right and all is well. Option two, the job goes wrong and the house burns down. Or option three the job goes wrong and you get electrocuted and are off to work on that DIY project in the sky. Since you loose on two out of three, do like the others suggest and get an electrical contractor to review your situation and perform any needed work. Your new wife will be glad you did.
    What many handy-persons and DIYers forget is this: When they tackle something plumbing related and it leaks, things get wet; when they tackle something ductwork related and it leaks, air leaks out; when they tackle something exterior building-wise and it leaks, things get wet; when they tackle something electrical and it leaks ... people die.

You don't want your new wife to have to find a new husband after a suitable grieving period, do you?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Newell Guest

Everyone,

Thanks for the help and comments. I hired an electrician and wound up getting:

A new breaker box for all circuits wired correctly…
    3 spare slots for the new owner…
    3 GFIs installed to protect the kitchen, garage, and bath…
    A switch replaced for an outside light…
    An outside outlet blanked (because it was powered from a leg of a 220 circuit)…
    A two year warranty that passes to the new owner…
    And, free phone consultation on the installation if anyone has questions.

All for $1,315.

I wish it would have $20, of course, but I think all of that for $1,315 is a pretty good deal.

Thanks to everyone again for helping out.
    Jim

You sold the house, and the electrical is safe, so it's a win-win. Thanks for the feedback.

Now I've got Taj Mahal on the brainbox "She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride."

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca