Matthew Liang Guest

Default Hole in crawlspace questions

This is a crawlspace in Vancouver BC, one mile north of US-Canada boarder. Inspected recently, there is no rain in the dry summer.

- Evidence of water flood at the base and corner. Not sure it was water during construction or past flood.

- There is a hole under mechanical room. The pipe is the condensation line from recently installed high efficiency gas furnace. Why there is a hole here?

How do I comment about there findings?

Appreciate any comment.

See also this thread:
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-new-post.html

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Hole in crawlspace questions

This makes at least the third discussion topic you've started on the same mechanical/utility room and crawl space immediately below.

It becomes disjointed when you cross post pictures, especially when the conjoined critical defects aren't connected.

Stick with one topic discussion and follow up with ALL the pictures on one series of posts.

It is abundantly obvious that a LOT of DIY/HACK work has taken place.

It is abundantly obvious that the moisture barrier under the rat slab has been compromised.

Sub-standard, non-professional plumbing, HVAC, gas-fitter, venting, and failure to maintain. Movement of and replacement of mechanicals by non-professional, non-qualified work, obviously without authority inspection.

No provisions to protect plumbing (including special drainage) from freezing, improper materials, improper execution, contmination of footing with corrosive discharge, et cetera, etc.

Negative slope of unterminated overly long clothes dryer vent, not properly supported, leaking into crawl, horrific work in utility/mechanical/laundry area, the list goes on.

Please do not create multiple discussion threads on the same areas and force us to review the cross-posted, (none complete) photos.

Potable plumbing, distribution systems (H & C) WH installation (placement, venting system configuration & sizing, combustion air, clearances, gas supply, no provision for safe pan - drainage, and TPRV discharge to high above floor - no provisions to convert to DRAINGE and no system for same), entire furnace installation, questionable combustion & make-up air regarding clothes dryer, and dryer vent system in crawl space, and plumbing to outside spigot configuration & are questionable. Non-support of DWV, non-provision for expansion & contraction, failure to protect from freezing, Clear flex tube NOT for corrosive or special drainage, improper tap of PVC to same; electrical unsupported, not protected/separated, exposed bare not along running boards/upon building surface (diag. from staple underside joist), IIRC from the multiple posts, multiple pictures. of the same two areas (mech/utility/laundry room & crawl space) and the exterior view of wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Liang View Post
    This is a crawlspace in Vancouver BC, one mile north of US-Canada boarder. Inspected recently, there is no rain in the dry summer.

- Evidence of water flood at the base and corner. Not sure it was water during construction or past flood.

- There is a hole under mechanical room. The pipe is the condensation line from recently installed high efficiency gas furnace. Why there is a hole here?

How do I comment about there findings?

Appreciate any comment.

See also this thread:
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-new-post.html
    Well, I think you know what to say about the water stain. Say exactly what you wrote in this post.. You found a stain, the area was dry and you have on idea when or what it is from.

As for the hole in the concrete? My SWAG is that the HVAC contractor decided it was the easiest way to dispose of the condensate. I would bet that if you pulled that clear plastic line that you would find that it is stuck a foot or so into that hole and the condensate is draining under that crawlspace slab. Did you find the end of the condensation line?

The hole and what the HVAC contractor has done is completely wrong. I would report it as such and say that whoever made the hole has damaged the moisture barrier and that the condensate line can not go under the slab like it is now doing.

Keep it simple, do not give any repair advice. Report what you see, report that an action needs to take place and I would also add what might happen if it is not corrected. You do not need to design the repair, this is one of the largest mistakes home inspectors make....

Sometimes trying to impress folks with your knowledge only shows them how little you really know!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Matthew Liang Guest

[QUOTE=H.G. Watson, Sr.;206178]This makes at least the third discussion topic you've started on the same mechanical/utility room and crawl space immediately below.

Hi H.G. Watson,
    Thank you for your comment. I posted here because I thought the 'hole' is a crawlspace and structure issue and needs to be discuss in this thread.

Matthew Liang Guest

[QUOTE=Scott Patterson;206254]... Did you find the end of the condensation line?

Thanks Scott. I did find the end of the condensation line. It simply rests in the sand, not to anywhere deeper.

Matthew Liang Guest

The furnace(and the condensation line) was installed a year ago. The house is 25 year old. I am not sure when the hole existed there. It does not look like a new hole dug recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Liang View Post
    The furnace(and the condensation line) was installed a year ago. The house is 25 year old. I am not sure when the hole existed there. It does not look like a new hole dug recently.
    And no condensate water is allowed to be discharged into the crawlspace, and no water of any kind should really be discharged into the crawlspace as the intent is to keep the crawlspace dry, not make it wet.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com