Nate Postrech Guest

Default Washing machine located within 6' of service panel.

hello,
    i was wondering why a washing machine would be located about 4' from the electric service panel. how can this be code? any input is greatly appreciated!

-nate-

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Washing machine located within 6' of service panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    As long as the working space (30" wide and 36" deep) is not violated it's NEC compliant.
    see link How Much Working Space Is Enough? | Don’t assume orking space applies in all situations | Code Basics content from Electrical Construction and Maintenance (EC and M) Magazine

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Nate Postrech Guest

thanks for your responses! i feel my question may need some more explanation. the NEC requires a GFCI outlet if it is located within 6' of a water source (i'm pretty sure we all know this). however, in this situation, the entire service panel is within 6' of a water source. and not just any water source, but one that has a tendency to spring a leak from time to time (i assume that's why they came out with the "no burst" supply lines for washing machines).

Nate Postrech Guest

It doesn't really matter where GFCI protection is required elsewhere in the NEC. In this instance the only requirement for the panel adjacent to the WM is working clearance. They could be right next to each other. Just for clarity, not every receptacle within 6' of a sink requires GFCI protection.
    thanks! i guess that's why i can't find any information on the subject.

That's a good article, but is it directly related to the single service panel adjacent to the washing machine in the OP or were you simply providing it for reference? Given the title of the article I'm not sure.
    see figure 1 in the link

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

This one?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It doesn't really matter where GFCI protection is required elsewhere in the NEC. In this instance the only requirement for the panel adjacent to the WM is working clearance. They could be right next to each other. Just for clarity, not every receptacle within 6' of a sink requires GFCI protection.
    Please list the exceptions to the 6' sink rule for residential installations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Richter View Post
    Please list the exceptions to the 6' sink rule for residential installations.
    210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interruption for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The
    ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

Informational Note: See 215.9 for ground-fault circuit interrupter
    protection for personnel on feeders.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.

(1) Bathrooms

(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas,
    and areas of similar use

(3) Outdoors

Exception to (3): Receptacles that are not readily accessible
    and are supplied by a branch circuit dedicated to
    electric snow-melting, deicing, or pipeline and vessel heating
    equipment shall be permitted to be installed in accordance
    with 426.28 or 427.22, as applicable.

(4) Crawl spaces — at or below grade level

(5) Unfinished basements — for purposes of this section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like

Exception to (5): A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter
    protection.

Informational Note: See 760.41(B) and 760.121(B) for power
    supply requirements for fire alarm systems.
    Receptacles installed under the exception to
    210.8(A)(5) shall not be considered as meeting the
    requirements of 210.52(G).

6) Kitchens— where the receptacles are installed to serve the counter top surfaces

(7) Sinks — located in areas other than kitchens where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

(8) Boathouses

I put the exceptions in red for you.
    You will notice I underlined a section in #6 as the way it is worded it opens the door for a receptacle to be within 6' of a Kitchen sink and NOT be GFCI protected. GFCI protection is only required if the receptacle is installed to serve the counter top.

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interruption for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The
    ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

Informational Note: See 215.9 for ground-fault circuit interrupter
    protection for personnel on feeders.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.

(1) Bathrooms

(2) Garages, and also accessory buildings that have a floor located at or below grade level not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas,
    and areas of similar use

(3) Outdoors

Exception to (3): Receptacles that are not readily accessible
    and are supplied by a branch circuit dedicated to
    electric snow-melting, deicing, or pipeline and vessel heating
    equipment shall be permitted to be installed in accordance
    with 426.28 or 427.22, as applicable.

(4) Crawl spaces — at or below grade level

(5) Unfinished basements — for purposes of this section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like

Exception to (5): A receptacle supplying only a permanently installed fire alarm or burglar alarm system shall not be required to have ground-fault circuit-interrupter
    protection.
    Informational Note: See 760.41(B) and 760.121(B) for power
    supply requirements for fire alarm systems.
    Receptacles installed under the exception to
    210.8(A)(5) shall not be considered as meeting the
    requirements of 210.52(G).

6) Kitchens— where the receptacles are installed to serve the counter top surfaces

(7) Sinks — located in areas other than kitchens where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

(8) Boathouses

I put the exceptions in red for you.
    You will notice I underlined a section in #6 as the way it is worded it opens the door for a receptacle to be within 6' of a Kitchen sink and NOT be GFCI protected. GFCI protection is only required if the receptacle is installed to serve the counter top.
    Totally false if a recep is within 6 of a sink, countertop or not.
    Edit: I guess 210.8(A)(7) is subject to interpretation. We intrepret it to include any readily accessible receptacle in a kitchen within 6' of the sink.

Last edited by Brad Richter; 08-26-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Richter View Post
    Totally false if a recep is within 6 of a sink, countertop or not.
    Edit: I guess 210.8(A)(7) is subject to interpretation. We intrepret it to include any readily accessible receptacle in a kitchen within 6' of the sink.
    If the receptacle does not serve the countertop like one behind a refrigerator next to a sink, there is no GFI protection required. Also receptacles more than 20" above a countertop do not require GFI, nor do any under the sink like for a disposal or dish washer.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    If the receptacle does not serve the countertop like one behind a refrigerator next to a sink, there is no GFI protection required. Also receptacles more than 20" above a countertop do not require GFI, nor do any under the sink like for a disposal or dish washer.
    Thanks, Jim, I am aware of those. What would you say about a recep located in a wall in the kitchen, 18" off the floor but within 6' of the kitchen sink?

Last edited by Brad Richter; 08-26-2012 at 11:09 AM.

As it is not for the countertop, no GFI protection required.

I think it might if it was within 6' of a wet bar, but not in the kitchen. This might have been an upcoming change.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.