Dave Gilstrap Guest

Default Vermiculite Insulation

I ran across a home today that was built in the 20's that had vermiculite insulation. I have heard of it but have never seen it before. I have heard it is a no no but do not know why. The home also had live knob and tube wiring covered with the vermiculite. Sorry the photos I took did not turn out. Why is vermiculite bad?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Vermiculite Insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gilstrap View Post
    I ran across a home today that was built in the 20's that had vermiculite insulation. I have heard of it but have never seen it before. I have heard it is a no no but do not know why. The home also had live knob and tube wiring covered with the vermiculite. Sorry the photos I took did not turn out. Why is vermiculite bad?
    Vermiculite | Asbestos | US EPA

K&T should not be covered ( known fraying of wire covering is a Fire Hazard. )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Dave Gilstrap Guest

Thanks for the link Billy.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Vermiculite covering K&T. A double whammy!

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Vermiculite covering K&T. A double whammy!
    But at least the asbestos will help keep the heat contained to the knob and tube and not let it spread to the rest of the house. (Just kidding! )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The problem with vermiculite is that, while most samples do not show asbestos (I know a tester who took samples from 15 homes and none showed evidence of asbestos) the next sample could have it. It was widely scattered (and supposedly in just one of the two mines in Libby Montana.
    While I think I will broach the removal option more, I'm still of the opinion that IF the material is an area where it will never be disturbed AND IF can be covered with more insulatiion (usually needed) then removal may not be warranted. Actually, maybe I'll just refer the client to the EPA web site and let them proceed from there.
    By the way, I poured bags of the Zonolite (vermiculite) insulation into the attic of my first home. Maybe that's why my lungs are shot.

As an added note: I just a client who owns a lot of commercial and multi-family real estate. His comment was that the next 'shoe to fall' on environmental hazards will be fiberglass. This probably needs it own discussion topic...

For attics I advise the client to leave it alone. In fireplaces I recommend that it be removed according to EPA guidelines and skip the testing.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

So what do you do with a whole sack of the stuff?
    I know. Take it to the lab!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    So what do you do with a whole sack of the stuff?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.