Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Default Rust/corrosion angle stops, escutcheons under bath sinks

Hey Guys here is a puzzle. Maybe you can shed somelight on it. The Home is located in Temecula, just above San Diego County line. Adessert like climate, mostly dry year around. House is 5 years old. Onlybathrooms have corrosion. None in the kitchen. Even bathrooms with no showerhave rust problem. House is on well water. Water is stored in tanks. Notice SSclamp rusted...must not be stainless or it is stainless with a lot of iron init. Could be the clamp is chrome plated. Note the escutcheons are all totally rusted. I realize that the chrome platingon escutcheons are very thin chrome and this is not to unusual but theseare really rusted. Note the copper tubing for the faucet that goes through thecabinet is green. Again I have seen copper turn green over time and sometimes caused by not cleaning the flux off with water and rag.

I am thinking that perhaps the cabinets have formaldehydethat might cause this corrosion/rust. Angel stops can show corrosion after awhile, but this is more serious, I think. Remember it is not in the kitchen. Perhapskitchen cabinets are of a better grade and without formaldehyde.

The hinges may be really cheap look-a-likes (not SS) for the Europeanhinges that are in cabinets these days.

I recommended that they have the water tested for acidity.Also the home may be so weather tight that it does not get enough fresh aircirculating.

Any clue as to what is causing this rust and corrosion inSouthern California?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Rust/corrosion angle stops, escutcheons under bath sinks

What common household cleaner is corrosive to metal and frequently stored in bathroom vanities?

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Ammonia comes to mind.
    But another culprit could be causing the corrosion and rust. Some ladies use small sponges to wipe down the sink to remove water spots. If they store a wet sponge under the cabinet where no air is moving to dry out the sponge, this could cause rust and or corrosion.

Chlorine bleach cleanser stored in open shaker cans. Maybe they kept a can in each bath but none in the kitchen.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Excellent answer Jim. I will pass it along. Thanks for posting

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Three questions:

Is this a manufactured home?

No other corrosion elsewhere, such as when encountering the dreaded "chinese drywall" in the market at that time period?

Last photo seems to depict condensation present on the lesser degraged angle stop on the left, is that the case?

There's always the wild pondering such as "backpack" type meth production having been kept under the cabinet, and other pollutants, oxidizing cleaners, acids, farming contaminants, etc.

In the cab is a poor ventillation environment within a bath a moisture prone one.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-28-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Thanks H. G. Watson, The home is a custom home 5 years of age. It is strange because the kitchen exhibits none of the corrosion, just the baths. I believe what appears to be condensation on the angle stops is really flakeing of the thinly coated chrome. I am leaning toward a chemical stored under the cabinet, but have not yet confirmed this with the owner of the home.

One problem that continues is the quality of products made in Mexico, China, and else where... I don't see a change coming until we are willing to pay more for products that are made in America. I am not holding my breath. One more thing to mention. Homeowners should from time to time open up the cabinets in their homes and inspect for signs of water leakage and correct it before it causes greater problems, i.e. mold. Thanks again for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sanders Sr. View Post
    Thanks H. G. Watson, The home is a custom home 5 years of age. It is strange because the kitchen exhibits none of the corrosion, just the baths. I believe what appears to be condensation on the angle stops is really flakeing of the thinly coated chrome. I am leaning toward a chemical stored under the cabinet, but have not yet confirmed this with the owner of the home.

One problem that continues is the quality of products made in Mexico, China, and else where... I don't see a change coming until we are willing to pay more for products that are made in America. I am not holding my breath. One more thing to mention. Homeowners should from time to time open up the cabinets in their homes and inspect for signs of water leakage and correct it before it causes greater problems, i.e. mold. Thanks again for posting.
    Did you by chance notice anything unusual with the copper at the a/c coil or electrical panel?.....

Might want to rule out Chineese drywall as a possiblity. Being in such a dry area it would not be uncommon to find corrosion only in the bathrooms, like you found. Problematic drywall needs moisture(humidity) to activate it. The age of the house is just about right.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Loren Sanders Sr. Guest

Thanks Scott for the reply. I didn't mean to imply that Temecula was that dry. It certainly isn't as dry as the high dessert near Hesperia... but your words will be evaluated by the owner of the home. Thanks again.

SrLoren

Noticed lack of corrosion on the area of the euro hinges that would be covered when the door is closed. Leaning toward the stored chemicals.