Jon Scott Guest

Default Plastic tube in concrete wall

Buddy asked me what something was and I was unable to answer. Perhaps one of you could.

In his basement on one of the walls there are several plastic tubes sticking out of his concrete wall. From about an inch off the ground to about an inch from the top plate. He doesn't have means of getting me a picture, he said the tubes are clear and about the size of a quarter and stick out about three inches.

Again I haven't a clue what this is, so if anyone could shine some light on this.

Thank You.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Plastic tube in concrete wall

Jon,

From your description it is likely the wall which was cracked was repaired using polyurethane/epoxy injection.

The tubes are the injection ports. But I have only seen tubes the diameter of a pencil used, never the size of a quarter.

Crack Injection - Basement Technologies

Possibility?
    Used to create uniform sized holes for use after wall was pored and forms removed rather than coming back and drilling holes.

The sticking out 3 inches is a conundrum.

Do the holes go through the foundation to the exterior?
    How far do they go into the wall?

Jon Scott Guest

Raymond - Thanks, that is what I was leaning towards but just like you said, the size is a bit big. I told him to keep an eye on it.

Garry - He doesn't know if it goes through the wall, it's the foundation wall and there is dirt on the other side and he doesn't want to dig up unless need be. If the tubes were used during pouring the concrete, wouldn't the builder cut the tubes?

I've never seen this, all materials I've studied and inspections I've been on. It's something I've never seen. He said his Home Inspector didn't know and would get back to him, still no answer from the inspector.

Thanks for you help.

Jon,
    Insert a probe into tube to determine depth of tube.
    No mater what was done you would think they would pull tube out or cut it off flush.

Could they be conduits for running wires etc. in future?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

I agree with Raymond. I have done several crack repairs working with my mold remediation company and that is the exact description of a foundation wall crack repair. The ports we use are only about the size of maybe a dime though. I would NOT poke anything through to see how far it goes. If those ports were filled with polyurethane and capped off one by one going up the wall theres a chance water finds its way back in. Although, it is ok to cut them off flush with the wall but not necessary