Brian Harwood Guest

Default Strapping for Manufactured Homes in Florida

I have completed the InterNACHI manufactured homes course and found it is too general as far strapping requirements for manufactured homes here in Florida. I have located current requirements, but can't find a Florida resource which would spell out specific strapping requirements (distance apart, type strap, etc.) on manuafacture homes from the first issued code (1960's ?) and then subsequent code updates by year (or what ever the interval may be) up until the present codes? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Strapping for Manufactured Homes in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    I have completed the InterNACHI manufactured homes course and found it is too general as far strapping requirements for manufactured homes here in Florida. I have located current requirements, but can't find a Florida resource which would spell out specific strapping requirements (distance apart, type strap, etc.) on manuafacture homes from the first issued code (1960's ?) and then subsequent code updates by year (or what ever the interval may be) up until the present codes? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Based on the manufacturers requirements. You are, I presume, referring to 'mobile homes'.

1) Mobile homes, in Florida, may ONLY be installed by a licensed mobile home installer.

2) The anchoring will be specified by the manufacturer.

3) The mobile home is not built to the building code, it is built to the HUD code for mobile homes.

4) The only thing the building codes address are: a) the foundation - per manufacturer's installation instructions; b) electrical service - per the NEC; c) plumbing connections - per the plumbing code; d) any mechanical system installed outside (condenser units) after the mobile home is set in place - per the mechanical code.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Harwood Guest

Jerry, thank you for the clarification. So, let me change my question based on your response. Only the manufacturer of the mobile home I am inspecting can clarify strapping requirements? There has been no guidance through the years from HUD?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    Only the manufacturer of the mobile home I am inspecting can clarify strapping requirements? There has been no guidance through the years from HUD?
    The manufacturer's engineers design the hold down anchors, number, location, size, angle, etc.

That said, there may be some minimum standard in the HUD code, but if you went by that and the manufacturer required more, you could be accepting something which is not acceptable.

If you do many mobile homes, write down the manufacturer's name and the model number, contact them for the hold down requirements (they may have a web site with the information you need on it).

Also of great importance in Florida is the Wind Zone the mobile home is rated for. Florida has two wind zones: Wind Zone II and Wind Zone III.

A mobile home with a wind zone rating of Wind Zone III can be sited anywhere in the state of Florida.

A mobile home with a wind zone rating of Wind Zone II is only allowed to be sited in a Wind Zone II area of Florida.

Here is a chart of the wind zones in Florida if you do not have one:
    - Wind Zone Restrictions

Also read the top paragraph on that page.

Note that Wind Zone III is Gulf and Franklin counties in the Panhandle, and then down the coast to basically Lake Okeechobee and then everything below that.

There is a list of counties which are Wind Zone III, the rest of Florida is Wind Zone II.

Also click on the two Technical Advisories links MH04-01 and MH04-02 for additional important information.

Where you are in Lake Mary, that is a Wind Zone II area. I'm not sure where you go for inspections.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The proper terminology is HUD CODE manufactured home-the term mobile home was left behind in 1976, the watershed year of HUD code recognition/standardization. Further deliniation of manufactured home would be modulars which are built to individual state standards or the IRC.
    ...........let the terminology contest begin ......Greg

postscript..........if the unit you are inspecting was built prior to '76, it would be a mobile home

Last edited by Gregory Booth; 08-30-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    The proper terminology is HUD CODE manufactured home-the term mobile home was left behind in 1976, the watershed year of HUD code recognition/standardization. Further deliniation of manufactured home would be modulars which are built to individual state standards or the IRC.
    ...........let the terminology contest begin ......Greg

postscript..........if the unit you are inspecting was built prior to '76, it would be a mobile home
    While all of that may be true ...

... in the state of Florida THE ONLY people who are allowed to set up a mobile home ... er ... "manufactured home" are - yep, you guessed it - certified and licensed MOBILE HOME INSTALLERS. Says so in state statute.

So, if the people setting up the (whatever you want to call it) are certified and licensed MOBILE HOME INSTALLERS ... what are they certified and licensed to install and set up? Mobile homes.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry.............point taken. NY has a very active manufactured home association, as well as a well-defined installer/mechanic/retailer licensing program. Remarkably, both have moved into the 21st century and have adopted appropriate (by industry standard) terminology. As professionals, I'm a firm believer in the concept that we should always promote correct terminology within our field of expertise.

As a corollary to this topic, I would cite NY law in the field of the Developmentally Disabled. I have board service on the state and local level that spans more than 30 years. To all within the field, and most folks in general (I hope), the word "retarded", when used as a human descripter, is repugnant. Yet, it is still found in state statute! Anyway, I'll climb off my soap box and go get to work .........Greg.

I am wondering if foundation certifications are needed in your area by lenders? If so, while it is great to know what to look for, be careful what you say is a proper set. Out here anyway, a structural engineer (the only person deemed qualified per hud to determine) has the final say. Also, it seems the more it is reserched, the more vague the standards are to make it quite difficult to argue who's right or wrong. Also, if you do alot of manufactured homes, might want to look into getting the study book for the general service person from the manufactured housing div. it has been very helpful for me. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    Jerry.............point taken. NY has a very active manufactured home association, as well as a well-defined installer/mechanic/retailer licensing program. Remarkably, both have moved into the 21st century and have adopted appropriate (by industry standard) terminology. As professionals, I'm a firm believer in the concept that we should always promote correct terminology within our field of expertise.
    Gregory,

"I'm a firm believer in the concept that we should always promote correct terminology within our field of expertise."

I agree.

But the licensed Certified Mobile Home Installer in Florida puts a little twist in that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Harwood Guest

Thanks to all for your advice and greatfully appreciate your time.