Thread: Fireplace Snafu

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Fireplace Snafu

I took a picture looking up through the ash dump cleanout in the basement of this fireplace and here's what I got.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Fireplace Snafu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I took a picture looking up through the ash dump cleanout in the basement of this fireplace and here's what I got.
    Doesn't even look like FRP. Kindling?

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Well, dang it, man ... if'n I ain't allowed to run the floor underlayment right over the ash dump opening, how am I supposed to make sure it is even with the floor around it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

All the time and money spend to build a fireplace on site by hand and it's not even usable. Ridiculous.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Nick, I find that all the time in older homes. Thats the support for the poured hearth and firebox.
    Typically if you see a plywood support left under the hearth behind the boiler, you will find that up there.
    I must have 100 or so pics like that

I have also seen them burnt to $hit
    At this point nothing can be done that I can see.
    I notify my clients.
    Tell them to seal the ash pit hatch,
    and to be aware that failure to keep burning embers out of the pit could result in a fire.

Then I call the last inspector who left his card in the panel and ask him if he found it.
    No
    Do you use a camera?
    Yes
    OOPS
    I love digital cameras

Nick,
    Wayne had the After of Your before.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-good-one.html

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Neither does the chimney base to ash dump appear to be lined or completed, nowhere near completed. Was "fireplace" sealed above or at its face so as to not be able to possibly be used?

I see no flue lining, refractory parging, sheilding, etc as well. Is this is supposed "up shot" from C.O. below a supposed completed masonry fireplace from masonry chimney base, if so this is extremely concerning..

Picture also suggests moisture problem.

Dangerous & Hazardous mere presence as pictured and described, Occupancy concern; one for authorities fire marshall or other AHJ, seal off, immediate correction, possible "last-man out" liability; curious if you notified occupants, owners, and authorities of your discovery?.

See 2010 NFPA 211: 7.1.4 and 7.1.5.

May be viewed on-line preview mode for free at NFPA.org requiring only site registration here: Email Validation#