Default wrong location for anti-tip bracket

I wrote this up because, as we know, the proper location for the anti-tip bracket kit is in a drawer near the range, not on top of the cabinet! It'll get dusty up there!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: wrong location for anti-tip bracket

I found one in a plastic bag like that in the oven the other day,
    This was after the oven had been on for 10 minutes or so.

My bad, I was multi-tasking.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The lack of an installed anti-tip bracket is boiler plate in my report defect list. I have to delete it as a defect so rarely that it just became easier to have it in automatically. I've taken pictures of idiots throwing it in the garbage.
    Oddly enough I just saw a stove recently that has a chain installed as a supposed 'anti-tip' bracket. Of course it was useless.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I found one in a plastic bag like that in the oven the other day,
    This was after the oven had been on for 10 minutes or so.

My bad, I was multi-tasking.
    It only takes something like that once as a mental reminder to always check the oven first.

For me, it was while I was in a condo and the over was full of bread and stuff, the real estate agent was kind enough to empty the range ('not my yob, man' ) while I was doing other things, I opened the oven door for a quick peek to make sure she had emptied it, then turned the oven on - worked okay, then turned the broiler on and ... it did not take long for smoke to start pouring out of the oven - I hear a shriek from the agent and go to see what the matter was, turn the oven off, opened the door, and there was a wooden cutting board laying on top of the broiler element ... so much for my 'quick peek' to see that it was empty, and so much for her emptying it - we both opened the doors and windows to allow the smoke to clear out, I tossed the smoldering wooden cutting board out onto the balcony for a while.

Okay, mental note: ALWAYS CHECK OVEN THOROUGHLY before turning it on.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

New construction it is in the oven, all other's, it is in one of the draws beside the oven. 95 % not installed

think 90% of the time it is in the appliance installers truck--lazy jerks--just like the sliding closet door rubber bumpers--do those guys sell them to the third world for other purposes

cvf

I was telling my story to a customer several years ago about how children could use the oven door to climb on and get scalded. He stopped me and explained that he had been with GE's R&D for many years and was involved with the case that GE lost. It was a little old lady who had used the open oven for years to get to the cabinets above the range. She had always steeped at the hinge until one time when she steeped on the door. He said it was a very bad scalding. Now GE will send an anti-tip bracket for free if you give them the serial no. of the range.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Yeah, they are usually stored in the cabinet drawer right next to the stove top. I'll tip the unit forward - before I turn it on and after checking to make sure it's empty - and show the client or agent what could happen if a little weight is put on the open oven door....then tell them where the brackets are usually stored....and voila....the brackets - right where I suspected them to be. Nice that the packaging company puts bright red bold lettering on the package so at least literate people can identify its' use. Installers obviously are not literate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Weekly View Post
    Yeah, they are usually stored in the cabinet drawer right next to the stove top. I'll tip the unit forward - before I turn it on and after checking to make sure it's empty - and show the client or agent what could happen if a little weight is put on the open oven door....then tell them where the brackets are usually stored....and voila....the brackets - right where I suspected them to be. Nice that the packaging company puts bright red bold lettering on the package so at least literate people can identify its' use. Installers obviously are not literate.
    I used to tip the unit but have found many 240 outlets that are not secured to the floor or wall since I began removing the drawer to look for the bracket. I also find many cat toys and once a lost electronic gram scale. Now that is some precise cooking

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.