Sheryl Davidson Guest

Wink Can I quit now???

OH MY GOSH!!! Okay, so I go to the home yesterday for my first inspection. Everything was good on the outside other than normal wear, tear, etc. I go inside to start the electrical part of the inspection and run into this lovely set-up.

I can tell you that I literally stood there staring at the wall for 15 seconds with my mouth to the floor. "What the heck have I gotten myself into" was the thought in my head.

Any comments about the set-up? I was fortunate that two of the panel doors would not open so I promptly filled in the "access limited, suggest further evaluation by an electrical professional".

All in all, the inspection wasn't too bad, but I definately feel that I undercharged. It took me a little over 3 1/2 hours. I know the customers and real estate agent were enjoying their time in the swing out front while I was stuck in the 3' high attic. I am ready for the next one, although I hope to have a better electric set-up in the next one.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sheryl Davidson; 09-16-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: gotta figure out how to add photos on here...
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Can I quit now???

Sheryl, when you say the panel doors would not open, are you saying the hinged cover would not open or your could not get the cover off the panel box to inspect the interior (ie - stripped screws, screws would not back out)?

It's not uncommon to get rattled by some installations when you first get started inspecting but this may be a good sign that some additional electrical training may be needed to raise your knowledge base.

Doesn't get a whole lot better than that and many MUCH worse. Nick's right, study and get those covers off. Bring a cordless until your screwdriver technique is faster. Your lucky they weren't all standing there watching. You'll feel much more confused after your first 1000 so relax. With knowledge comes expectation, with expectation comes letdowns and with letdowns, here comes the broker from the swing set in the front yard.

OH I forgot, NO you CANNOT quit now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    when you say the panel doors would not open, are you saying the hinged cover would not open
    I suspect that is what she is saying.

This would be because those typically have an internal locking mechanism which 'locks' the hinged cover closed while the switching mechanism inside is 'on'. It releases when the handle is pulled to 'off'.

A safety feature to help protect workers from working on those while energized (except for the line side).

On a side note, a recent publication I got from NFPA stated that 'hundreds of electrical workers are electrocuted each year', and another which stated that 'an average of over one per day' is electrocuted, with 'thousands other workers injured, from 'serious burn and injuries' to less serious injuries.

'Electrical shock is the greatest cause of death and injury to electrical workers'.

Q: How many HIs wear proper PPE?

A: None.

Q: How many HIs know what proper PPE is (when working around live open panels and equipment)?

A: Very few.

Q: How many electricians or electrical workers wear proper PPE?

A: Very few. That's why there are so many deaths and serious injuries each year.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You may already know this but as a reminder avoid clothing made of nylon, polyester acetate, acrylic fibers or other synthetic fabrics while working around electricity. They melt and bond to flesh causing severe if not fatal burns.

Here is a quick review of what you should know and do

Work safe and have a long and prosperous career

Untitled Document

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Davidson View Post
    OH MY GOSH!!! Okay, so I go to the home yesterday for my first inspection.

Sheryl,

What sort of property was this? Around here, anyway, it would be highly unusual to see that sort of set-up in a residence unless there was also a business (for example, a cabinet shop) there. Also, that door and its lock would by typical of light commercial, not residential.

Sheryl Davidson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Sheryl, when you say the panel doors would not open, are you saying the hinged cover would not open or your could not get the cover off the panel box to inspect the interior (ie - stripped screws, screws would not back out)?

It's not uncommon to get rattled by some installations when you first get started inspecting but this may be a good sign that some additional electrical training may be needed to raise your knowledge base.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Doesn't get a whole lot better than that and many MUCH worse. Nick's right, study and get those covers off. Bring a cordless until your screwdriver technique is faster. Your lucky they weren't all standing there watching. You'll feel much more confused after your first 1000 so relax. With knowledge comes expectation, with expectation comes letdowns and with letdowns, here comes the broker from the swing set in the front yard.
    [quote=Jerry Peck;18484]I suspect that is what she is saying.

This would be because those typically have an internal locking mechanism which 'locks' the hinged cover closed while the switching mechanism inside is 'on'. It releases when the handle is pulled to 'off'.

A safety feature to help protect workers from working on those while energized (except for the line side).

That is exactly what I am talking about, Jerry. It was the "hinged doors" to the panels that would not open. There was a missing safety hinge on each one. I tried to jimmy it but neither would budge. At that point, I showed my customer and of course noted this in my report to have it evaluated by a professional. (My customer said her son-in-law is an electrician, so he is about to have fun! ) Anyway, this is indeed a single family residence, but it is apparant that someone did some kind of welding/body shop/something in the basement where these panels are located. The door to the right is metal and has a key lock.

All in all, it wasn't too bad. Yes, I sure do need to work on my terminology. Hopefully things will get better as I go along. Thanks again for the advice.