Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Default PEX on the ground

I've researched around a bit and can't get a clear answer about running PEX on the ground. I found it in an addition to a house. No leaking, but the lines were run across the addition and under the HVAC ducts teeing off on the ground. Even had some bricks on them. I don't like it and wrote it up with the qualifier that it is more my opinion that fact. I'd include a picture but I never learned how.

JLMathis

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Re: PEX on the ground

I do not know if PEX is U/L listed for U/G use, but I saw a plumber recently use it for the water meter to house U/G service entrance, ( 1" ). He felt PEX was the best thing ever invented next to the wheel. Called it bullit proof.

Majority of the newer construction I see has PEX for the incoming underground water supply line. Usually it's blue pipe or some other type that's tougher and designed to be burried blow ground.

PEX can go underground, actually it is sunlight that is its enemy. PEX also needs proper support, as with any plumbing line it should never be laying on the ground. Common sence should tell you that if you find bricks on top of any plumbing line that it is a problem.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post

I'd include a picture but I never learned how.
    JLMathis
    Look on the left side of page in the Blue border Message Board and hover over it, select How to Post a Message, scroll down to Tip. 5 : Uploading and / or deleting Photos.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    PEX can go underground, actually it is sunlight that is its enemy. PEX also needs proper support, as with any plumbing line it should never be laying on the ground. Common sence should tell you that if you find bricks on top of any plumbing line that it is a problem.
    Agreed. I always recommend proper mounting of plumbing lines off of the ground. I came across CSST gas lines simply running from the furnace along the ground through a utility closet and wrote up that it should be properly mounted and attached to the joists.

Matt Kiefer, Columbus Advanced Inspections
    Home Inspection Columbus Ohio
    Radon Testing Columbus Ohio