Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Need book reviewers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    Ken- you must be confusing yourself with the owner of BPG. If you were the owner of BPG, then maybe you could take credit for all of that, which I was perfectly aware of by the way. How's your career with BPG going, Ken?
    The owner of BPG is Stephens Group, a private investment company. I never claimed to be an owner, just a lowly area manager. My area only did about a million a year, so not one of the bigger areas. We parted ways a few years back. I didn't like giving them half of my income. By the way, I did the same job for another national firm. Try to guess that one.

I knew your response would be ridiculous,
    Please enlighten me on how my response is "ridiculous". I thought I was being honest and sincere.

I couldnt promote both the Inspections and the warranties and get where I wanted to be.
    Now you're confusing me. According to your previous statement marketing warranties was the same as marketing inspections. But now you state you couldn't do them both.

While you're figuring out how to explain that, how about you post the name of the inspection company you brought from 5,000 to 7,000 inspection per year. That way you can show you're an expert on the topic. It shouldn't be this hard to pull this information out of you.

It was an incredible experience working with true business people- and what laid the foundation for the rest of my career- which is longer than yours in real estate and involves exponentially more transactions.
    Really? You're sure about that? You know I wasn't a Realtor, mortgage broker, or warranty rep for 15 years prior to becoming an inspector? You assume too much.

BPG was doing about 40,000 inspections a year when I left. Selling about 30,000 home warranties and answering 150,000 calls at the call center a year. Does that mean I could claim I was involved in 220,000 transactions a year? Nope. Even if I was the owner of the company I could not claim I was directly involved in those transactions. See the difference is you count the number of transactions even remotely connected to companies you've worked with. I only count the ones I've been directly involved in.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 09-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Member Benefits1
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

See what I mean guys? Nothing would satisfy Ken, even knowing my sales dwarfed his. The hypocrisy of his comments is staggering, as he Is argumentative only to discredit me...for why? To show he has more expertise, by virtue of splitting his income with BPG he has the same credibility as if he had come up with the whole thing himself? I never read his book but...oh, wait, no book from him just a bunch of hot air on forums.

I hesitated to post anything about volume, because maybe you would think my book or anything I do wasn't for you- but I promise it is. I work with over 3400 home inspection companies and I know what it takes to go from 100 to 200, 400 to 800, or more for you Multi-inspector guys.

If you would like to review the book, I'll pay your shipping as stated in the first post and you'll get all the stuff that comes with it. If not, no big deal- you don't have to take advantage of the offer. Talk to one of your favorite vendors that have bought copies for their users or pick it up at a convention.

And then come back here, post your review, and watch Ken squirm! Lol

And then there are people like you, who take my bio and experience, and question it without any knowledge at all. Not only is it in poor taste, you're off base- and you should know that my experience in marketing to real estate agents is pretty good. I say that because I've had a booth at four of the last six Middle Tennessee Realtor Conventions hosted by GNAR, you'll find one or two of my marketing reps in your area at that booth, talking to hundreds of agents that use my home warranty exclusively in the greater Nashville area. I don't know if you had a booth there, but I'd highly suggest it. 500+ agents in one room...and you missed it? And you question my marketing abilities?

If you had done any substantial marketing in the offices in your own home town, you would find that almost all of them have warranty brochures from Residential Warranty Services, Inc., brochures for our SIMPLE warranty and the Advantage Plan, as well as inspectors in almost every office there being promoted with RecallChek and our 90-Day Warranties.

You'd also find that we have a relationship with the largest region of EXIT Realty, EXIT Mid-South, and I've personally flown down on several occasions, landed at the Murfreesboro Municipal Airport, and had full hour sessions training real estate agents on using social media and promoting their business with unique offerings and been back to my office in Indy before lunch.

In August ALONE my reps hit 134 offices a total of 157 times-

Here's a map for you I just pulled.

View image: BAM Dashboard Mozilla Firefox 2012 09 09 22 49

You of all people should be asking me, considering I did over 1500 transactions within 50 miles of your home in the last twelve months alone, "How do I get more agent referrals?"
    Nathan, good for you I'm tickled pink that you are doing this. But, it might surprise you that this is not a market segment I care to work in. 75% of my business is driven by past client referrals, the Internet and Angie's List. I do not market directly to agents in their offices; I know that this goes against your thinking process but I do not like begging for business. The agents that do use me on a regular basis have discovered me through their past clients who used me. I also deal a great deal in a higher end market segment that many inspectors in the area do not want to work in due to the time involved and the higher price range of the homes. This is another reason I do not do more than one sometime two inspections a day.

I run a solo shop ( I have gone the multiple inspector route. At one time I had 3 inspectors working for me and I learned I did not like that type of business). I'm happy with my 6+ basic home inspections a week, a few consulting jobs per week and several ongoing litigation cases in the works pretty much year round. It keeps me as busy as I want to be, not to mention I make as much income as I need to support my lifestyle. In other words what I'm doing works for me.

I seldom work in the Murfreesboro market, most of the homes I inspect are in Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin, Thompson's Station, Leipers Fork areas) and parts of Davidson County(Belle Meade, Green Hills).

Next time you are in the Nashville area please contact me I will make time in my schedule for you. I would love to meet you face to face over lunch or dinner. I will also be at the October COA conference in Vegas and at InspectionWorld in January in Vegas.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 09-10-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Nathan, good for you I'm tickled pink that you are doing this. But, it might surprise you that this is not a market segment I care to work in. 75% of my business is driven by past client referrals, the Internet and Angie's List. I do not market to agents in their offices; I know that this goes against your thinking process but I do not like begging for business.

I run a solo shop ( I have gone the multiple inspector route. At one time I had 3 inspectors working for me and I learned I did not like that type of business). I'm happy with my 6+ basic home inspections a week, a few consulting jobs per week and several ongoing litigation cases in the works pretty much year round. It keeps me as busy as I want to be, not to mention I make as much income as I need to support my lifestyle. In other words what I'm doing works for me.

I seldom work in the Murfreesboro market, most of the homes I inspect are in Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin, Thompson's Station, Leipers Fork areas) and parts of Davidson County(Belle Meade, Green Hills).

Next time you are in the Nashville area please contact me I will make time in my schedule for you. I would love to meet you face to face over lunch or dinner. I will also be at the October COA conference in Vegas and at InspectionWorld in January in Vegas.
    Come see me there- I'm handing you a copy of my book personally and I can't wait to hear what you think about it. Brentwood is obviously a good area...keep it up.

Just an FYI, if you have a very personal relationship with your clients, you might consider mentioning the SIMPLE warranty- the reason is that if you don't find it, it's not a pre-existing condition. This only applies when they've had a professional home inspection, your's counts, and I imagine we're already working with some of the same clients occasionally.

Come see me there- I'm handing you a copy of my book personally and I can't wait to hear what you think about it. Brentwood is obviously a good area...keep it up.

Just an FYI, if you have a very personal relationship with your clients, you might consider mentioning the SIMPLE warranty- the reason is that if you don't find it, it's not a pre-existing condition. This only applies when they've had a professional home inspection, your's counts, and I imagine we're already working with some of the same clients occasionally.
    Works for me, I might make it to the Southeastern Conference as well but that is up air due to a possible family event that looks like will conflict with me going.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

See what I mean guys? Nothing would satisfy Ken, even knowing my sales dwarfed his. The hypocrisy of his comments is staggering, as he Is argumentative only to discredit me...for why? To show he has more expertise, by virtue of splitting his income with BPG he has the same credibility as if he had come up with the whole thing himself? I never read his book but...oh, wait, no book from him just a bunch of hot air on forums.
    l
    WTF? I simply ask for you to provide your background information regarding your expertise in the field of growing an inspection business and you've somehow turned this into a competition between the two of us?.

I'm not trying to discredit you whatsoever. I'm not trying to compare my background with yours. You've asked me questions about my background and I've answered them honestly. I've asked you about your background and you've gotten defensive and went on the attack.

You're correct, I haven't written a book and never claimed to be an expert in growing a home inspection business. But I've shared my experience with any inspectors who've asked, free of charge.

The question now is, why would the author trying to sell a book, get defensive, combative and evasive when asked about his expertise in the field the book was written?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    WTF? I simply ask for you to provide your background information regarding your expertise in the field of growing an inspection business and you've somehow turned this into a competition between the two of us?.

I'm not trying to discredit you whatsoever. I'm not trying to compare my background with yours. You've asked me questions about my background and I've answered them honestly. I've asked you about your background and you've gotten defensive and went on the attack.

You're correct, I haven't written a book and never claimed to be an expert in growing a home inspection business. But I've shared my experience with any inspectors who've asked, free of charge.

The question now is, why would the author trying to sell a book, get defensive, combative and evasive when asked about his expertise in the field the book was written?
    Oh, yeah, you were just "helping out." Right...I ignored your posts half a dozen times until I responded once and you didn't disappoint! No one can ever accuse you of not being passionate Ken, and I respect that.

Oh, yeah, you were just "helping out." Right...I ignored your posts half a dozen times until I responded once and you didn't disappoint! No one can ever accuse you of not being passionate Ken, and I respect that.
    You asked people to purchase and review the book. Don't you agree that part of reviewing a non fictional self help book would be verifying the authors credentials...expertise in the field?

Nathan if your looking for the good and bad it appears you forgot to post this one from the nacho site.

"
    Quote/// Is it one of those, "You are the captain of your own ship" self-help books? Call me crazy, but I'm a little skeptical of someone who isn't a home inspector, who appears to be about 25 years old, writing a book about the home inspection business.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

You asked people to purchase and review the book. Don't you agree that part of reviewing a non fictional self help book would be verifying the authors credentials...expertise in the field?
    I've paid as much as a thousand times or more for advice from people that don't have any experience from my particular field, and without that advice I wouldn't be where I am today.

I've yet to have someone read the book and not think it was incredibly worth while, so if you want to give it a shot do so. I think the problem with these credentials you're looking for is that the bar may very well be invisible or non-existent or higher than exists, and for others they need to hear something that relates to them- so it's a lose-lose proposition.

You may be looking for someone with multi-inspector experience- but that experience may come off as over the top to someone doing 200 inspections a year that doesn't have those aspirations.

The bottom line is that everyone will get something out of the book, and despite some of the things said on this thread there is no sales pitch for the book here. I'm losing money on it, but the effect it's already having is phenomenal and that is very fulfilling.

This business needs to be exciting again- and the old ways just aren't necessarily the good ways. Don't change a thing if you don't want to, just evolve.

I think the problem with these credentials you're looking for is that the bar may very well be invisible or non-existent or higher than exists, and for others they need to hear something that relates to them- so it's a lose-lose proposition.
    I have no expectations regarding your credentials. I'd just simply like to know what they are and how they pertain to your personal experience growing a home inspection business.

You've already stated 10 years ago you grew a home inspection business from 5,000 to 7,000 inspections a year. That's a great credential. Please name the company so it can be verified.

This business needs to be exciting again- and the old ways just aren't necessarily the good ways. Don't change a thing if you don't want to, just evolve.
    Exciting?? You will find that most of the experienced inspectors fail to see anything exciting about having the need to offer free stuff, or offer gimmicks

Evolve.. Nothing will change the fact that the best and honest way to evolve is by offering a better report and knoweldge of the home when going over the defects with the clinets.
    Your and the other marketing guys tactics are like car salesmen.. Don't worry about ethics, state Lic. laws, just sell the product .

Marketing to realtors.. My experience, it's almost usless. Sure you will have the chance to get a few to refer you one time. If you don't know how to present your findings, and recommend additional evaluation for everything, because you don't have a clue about what your selling, all of your efferts will be lost after you do the first inspection they referred you for.
    Truth is, there isn't book a outhere that can teach a person ethics, how to treat a client, or properly commuicate the defects identified in the report.

But hey, no problem, now we have Nate to add to the list of guys to tell us how to find more realtors and keep getting new realtors with gimmicks and offering free stuff.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-10-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Exciting?? You will find that most of the experienced inspectors fail to see anything exciting about having the need to offer free stuff, or offer gimmicks

Evolve.. Nothing will change the fact that the best and honest way to evolve is by offering a better report and knoweldge of the home when going over the defects with the clinets.
    Your and the other marketing guys tactics are like car salesmen.. Don't worry about ethics, state Lic. laws, just sell the product .

Marketing to realtors.. My experience, it's almost usless. Sure you will have the chance to get a few to refer you one time. If you don't know how to present your findings, and recommend additional evaluation for everything, because you don't have a clue about what your selling, all of your efferts will be lost after you do the first inspection they referred you for.
    Truth is, there isn't book a outhere that can teach a person ethics, how to treat a client, or properly commuicate the defects identified in the report.

But hey, no problem, now we have Nate to add to the list of guys to tell us how to find more realtors and keep getting new realtors with gimmicks and offering free stuff.
    Don't market to agents, just do a good inspection and hope for the best, got it! Oh, and just offer the basic home inspection only, that way we're all on a level playing field. Did I miss anything?

Don't market to agents, just do a good inspection and hope for the best, got it! Oh, and just offer the basic home inspection only, that way we're all on a level playing field.

Did I miss anything?
    Yes!!! By a long shot..
    If you have to ask your childish question. You don't have a clue how to honestly get new clients, keep them and have them as your best sales people with out giving them anything, or even asking them to refer you.

Want proof go to Angies List and view my recommendations .. Never once did I ever ask , or suggest to any of them to post a referral for me.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

Yes!!! By a long shot..If you have to ask your question. You don't have a clue how to honestly get new clients, keep them and have them as your best sales people with out giving them anything, or even asking them to refer you.

Want proof go to Angies List and view my recommendations .. Never once did I ever ask , or suggest to any of them to post a referral for me.
    That's phenomenal work, no doubt you're good with clients. Those reviews say it all!

Now just a hypothetical...if you get this kind of response the honest way you speak of, where you don't really market yourself or differentiate your service in any perceptive way, do you have any reason to believe that if you did start a sensible and reasonable marketing campaign with some well-received messages, hit the agents with it and started getting referrals, that those clients wouldn't react in much the same way thus increasing those best sales people you have now into a small army?

By the way, nothing I ever say implies doing a good, thorough inspection isn't necessary. Quite the opposite- within the first few pages of the book I hit that one hard! Nothing matters if you don't know what you're doing, and even those I might disagree with from time to time here on this MB are great inspectors without a doubt. In fact, I don't know any home inspectors personally that don't want to take excellent care of their customers and I don't know any that want problems coming up later and becoming liabilities for them.

Now just a hypothetical...if you get this kind of response the honest way you speak of, where you don't really market yourself or differentiate your service in any perceptive way, do you have any reason to believe that if you did start a sensible and reasonable marketing campaign with some well-received messages, hit the agents with it and started getting referrals, that those clients wouldn't react in much the same way thus increasing those best sales people you have now into a small army?
    The truth is anyone can build a small army with a small realtor referral base, and with out offering gimmicks and free stuff.
    Realtors should be the last, or at least an inspectors smallest referral base.

I can honestly say, and I believe most other established inspectors will agree, that when first starting out when doing a realtor referral, an inspector will question his/her reporting/ wording to some extent with the thought, if i write, or say it this way will the realtor refer me again.

Keep on a doing what your doing, I enjoy seeing newby websites focusing on what they will give the client for free, and hide their experience , and what they offer the client on the 3rd or 4th web pages

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-10-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    www.inspectaz.com

Russel Ray Guest

My afternoon inspection got postponed so I thought I'd read InspectionNews for a change. Now I remember why I usually skip it each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Ray View Post
    My afternoon inspection got postponed so I thought I'd read InspectionNews for a change. Now I remember why I usually skip it each week.

Hey Russel .. Yea I agree it's starting to look like another HI chat board loaded with venders selling stuff

www.inspectaz.com

Thornberry should run for elective office somewhere. He has a real knack for ignoring direct questions, fluffing up his credentials and dodging the issues. All while deftly dancing around the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Thornberry should run for elective office somewhere. He has a real knack for ignoring direct questions, fluffing up his credentials and dodging the issues. All while deftly dancing around the truth.
    Yes, dancing around a bunch of lies for my own entertainment, working on signatures to run for the mayor of your town as we speak! LOL. If selling a ton of product, serving a ton of clients, and then coming here and telling you that I serve a ton of clients when I'm asked is "fluffing up credentials", I guess I'm guilty. You caught me in a whole career of making up this 200+ page book, printing thousands of copies, going on a tour of the country talking to home inspection professionals, tricking literally thousands of inspectors into using products and services that don't help them a bit so I have to trick them once again into continually using them, hiring nearly three dozen people and putting them in a 8000+ square foot facility, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on travel, booth and sponsorship expenses for ASHI, InterNACHI, and NAHI events amongst others, convincing the organizers of events and leadership of all the major Inspection organizations in North America that they should invite me to speak at their event, and then come to this message board here for the grand finale.

Congratulations, BridgeMan, you got me! Your worst conspiracy theory of the evil vendor milking inspectors dry of one day's lunch money has come true!

For you personally I'm going to make you a very special offer...just to find out how deep these thoughts run for you. If you go to RecallChek.com, click "Sign Up" and register- don't even use anything, just go there and register- I'm going to send you the book for free as long as you commit to at least reading the first two chapters and making one solitary post right here on this thread.

Nathan, are you going to name the inspection company you claimed to have increase inspections for 10 years ago?

Congratulations, BridgeMan, you got me! Your worst conspiracy theory of the evil vendor milking inspectors dry of one day's lunch money has come true!

For you personally I'm going to make you a very special offer...just to find out how deep these thoughts run for you. If you go to RecallChek.com, click "Sign Up" and register- don't even use anything, just go there and register- I'm going to send you the book for free as long as you commit to at least reading the first two chapters and making one solitary post right here on this thread.
    Sorry, Bud, but I'm not quite ready to take that plunge (registering for something I have absolutely no intention of ever using, or giving you my email address for you to hack or sell to others for a profit). But if you PM me, I'll give you my snail-mail address, and you can just send the freebie book. I'll do my best to give it an honest review, here on this site. Curious why only the first two chapters, though--are the remaining ones a guaranteed cure for insomnia? But I have to warn you that I can be a harsh critic, especially if your writing is devoid of facts while being heavy on fluff (like most of your postings here).

And BTW, how about answering some of Ken's questions? With specifics, please, and not more generalities.

Mike Rosato Guest

This is embarrassing. You guys truly don''t realize what is really going on and are not looking at the big picture. Instead of trying to discredit someone in order to raise yourself, read between the lines and understand the business theory going on here. You guys are introducing this red herring at an attempt to divert attention and discredit Nathan acting like a bunch of right fighters, and for what--to keep things stagnant. The blue collar/hammer and nail mentality is really oozing out guys.

Guys like Nathan are advancing this industry to the next level and I understand it scares you. You are just kicking and screaming because it is making it harder for you to succeed and grow-- Others are doing it, so inadvertently he is forcing you to rethink your business process and the value you offer in order to move to the next level. He is merely getting the blame because he is the catalyst. The theories in his book are sound and meant to take you to the next level and expand. It is also presented in simple terms. Guess what? If you don't expand and grow, you are going backwards because of inflation and the CODB increases each year. If you stay the same you will net less each year. In today's market customers want to see the value in doing business with you and how differentiate--not just how many inspections you have completed, how experienced you are and how well you present your findings. Most of us offer the latter--don't underestimate the value and the differentiation.

Last edited by Mike Rosato; 09-10-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rosato View Post
    This is embarrassing. You guys truly don''t realize what is really going on and are not looking at the big picture. Instead of trying to discredit someone in order to raise yourself, read between the lines and understand the business theory going on here. You guys are introducing this red herring at an attempt to divert attention and discredit Nathan acting like a bunch of right fighters, and for what--to keep things stagnant. The blue collar/hammer and nail mentality is really oozing out guys.

Guys like Nathan are advancing this industry to the next level and I understand it scares you. You are just kicking and screaming because it is making it harder for you to succeed and grow-- Others are doing it, so inadvertently he is forcing you to rethink your business process and the value you offer in order to move to the next level. He is merely getting the blame because he is the catalyst. The theories in his book are sound and meant to take you to the next level and expand. It is also presented in simple terms. Guess what? If you don't expand and grow, you are going backwards because of inflation and the CODB increases each year. If you stay the same you will net less each year. In today's market customers want to see the value in doing business with you--not just how many inspections you have completed or how experienced you are.

Mike take a chill pill.
    embarrassing??? You have only been a member here for a week, and the only posts that you replied to, are defending sales of another marketing gimmick.

I see your one of those new inspectors that think the only way to sell your services is by listing all of the free stuf on your front web page you can, to get a phone call.
    Home Inspections in Riverside, Temecula, Murrieta and Surrounding Areas | **(951) 217-5605**

Hang in there for a few years and you 2 will realize providing a professional inspection will surpass any type of marketing and giving freebys to get someone to call you.
    You too can then be really embarrassed that other inspectors will stoop that low to get a call

www.inspectaz.com

No, Mike's right. It's embarrassing for the industry the way some of us approach things.

There was actually a post in this thread quoting a question as a review, with no intention but discrediting. Just so you know, your competition is reading the book- so fold your arms and snarl if you like- it will only serve to show you have no business sense whatsoever.

No, I won't be sending anyone an "e-book", as I printed 5,000 copies of a real book and if you would like that you know how to get it. We've packed up more than 1500 thus far and shipped them all over the country. I don't need to give you any more biographical information, it's all available and public knowledge at this point, perfectly itemized in the book, which you can get for free when you remove your head from your backside and go to one of about 70 inspection events this season! The reviews will keep coming in, and you'll still be posting ignorant statements over $15.

Wow. Business must be going well!

Nathan,

Even if you've penned the best book in the world, your written responses in this thread cast you in a negative light.

You made your offer in the first post. No need to use hyperbole and sarcasm to counter anyone's questions.

Certainly you could have anticipated a spirited discussion when you offered a discount for a book review.

Dom.

The amount of ignorance and sarcasm on this thread points out why many avoid the forum here.

Nathan has promised me a copy and I withhold all comments on the book till it is read plus have personally met Nathan because unlike many of the Jackels here I actually Inspect and attend association meetings combined with seminars including the the ASHI meeting where Nathan attended this summer .

I am a NACHI member but attended a ASHI meeting (go figure).

Read the damn book,talk to Nathan,examine his services and what he has to offer before making idiots of yourselves.
    When clients call do they microscope everything in your past in this manner ?

Nathans ideas are just that...ideas.I doubt any of the goofball commentators here have a clue what his services are.

Certain forum regulars here pull down the entire industry and are an embarrassment to us all.
    I do not 100% agree with everything Nathan thinks but certainly am not poking in the dark with a dumb stick either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    The amount of ignorance and sarcasm on this thread points out why many avoid the forum here.
    You could say that about any and every BB, Bob. They all have regulars and some folks don't like them.

Nathan has promised me a copy...
    He offered a partial discount on the shipping charges in exchange for a review. That opened up the obvious questions that followed.

unlike many of the Jackels here I actually Inspect
    An unnecessary insult, as you yourself have posted here over 800 times.

Certain forum regulars here pull down the entire industry and are an embarrassment to us all.
    Again, You could say that about any and every BB.

It always takes two sides to have a conflict, and both sides are guilty is this thread.

Dom.

This is embarrassing. You guys truly don''t realize what is really going on and are not looking at the big picture. Instead of trying to discredit someone in order to raise yourself.
    Actually, we're trying to give Nathan credit. We want to know his background and expertise on the subject. If he would simply answer the question we could move on. However, Nathan has chosen to discredit himself by claiming to be an expert but not giving any verifiable information.

Mike, for those of you who know Nathan and personally met him, please tell us the name of the inspection company he worked for 10 years ago and grew its business from 5,000 to 7,000 inspections in a year so we can verify his credentials and move on.

Mike Rosato Guest

This sounds like political rhetoric, "show me your tax return", "show me your birth certificate", "I built my business with no help from anyone", nor will my ego let me accept advice or apply what works. Go ahead and keep trying to reinvent the wheel, or shall I say the wagon wheel. I'd rather apply theories many businesses have historically used to expand and saturate and what I was taught in business school--That and add my own experience. (I'm talking about theory successful business outside of the inspection industry have used by the way). I'm going to clue you in on something guys, Nathan didn't invent the idea of offering value added services, differentiation and USP's. He is just a smart enough businessman to apply it and tap into an industry and guys where it is needed. Why are you so hell bent on his credentials and resume? Besides, he talks about it in the book. Buy it and read it.. Do your own research if you wish to keep sustainability within your business.

Signed, Newbie

Ken, I have never met Nathan or any of the other guys by the way, I can just recognize progress.

BTW, this is all said in love for the industry and business

I've been following this thread to see where it went, and it went where one would expect it to go when it starts off with:

1) Buy my book.
    2) Review my book ... (wait a dang minute here, usually one is PAID to "review" something, one does not have to PAY for the privilege of "reviewing" something ...)
    3) If you review my book, then I will send you some of your money back ... (go back to 2) above)

If you really wanted some people to "review" your book, you would have sent them copies, hard, printed, copies which are easier to read and review, and then you would await their reviews with eagerness ... instead of trying to *sell* your book with the prospect of getting some of the money back for a review.

I think I just saw the ground move where P. T. Barnum just sat up in his grave and said "Dang! Why didn't I ever think of that!' ... followed by ... 'Oh, wait, I remember, I DID think of that, but I knew I had to get the people in the gate FIRST ... THEN I sucker their money from them ... '

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Buy it and read it.. Do your own research if you wish to keep sustainability within your business.

Signed, Newbie

Ken, I have never met Nathan or any of the other guys by the way, I can just recognize progress.

Mike... If you search this site you will find several detailed posts from different inspectors providing FREE information on how a certain type of marketing helped their business grow.
    With the exception of this post, all of the other posts state what the inspector did, how they did it, and what the results were.

Out of of the recommendations, on this site, and the nacho site, I have yet see one explaining how the information in this book affected YOUR/their business's.
    All iv'e seen is hype on how great the "book" is , and nothing beyond you gotta get with the times and buy this book.
    Did you go from 1-2 inspections, 5-10 inspection a week, 50-1000 per year???
    When you put all of the stuff to work from the book did you have to hire someone to answer your phones, and hire inspectors to keep up with the sudden amount of new realtors begging you to do their clients inspections.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    www.inspectaz.com

This sounds like political rhetoric, "show me your tax return", "show me your birth certificate", "I built my business with no help from anyone", nor will my ego let me accept advice or apply what works. Go ahead and keep trying to reinvent the wheel, or shall I say the wagon wheel. I'd rather apply theories many businesses have historically used to expand and saturate and what I was taught in business school--That and add my own experience. (I'm talking about theory successful business outside of the inspection industry have used by the way). I'm going to clue you in on something guys, Nathan didn't invent the idea of offering value added services, differentiation and USP's. He is just a smart enough businessman to apply it and tap into an industry and guys where it is needed. Why are you so hell bent on his credentials and resume?
    So you're saying we're just supposed to blindly believe what he says without any evidence to back up his theories?

Besides, he talks about it in the book. Buy it and read it.. Do your own research if you wish to keep sustainability within your business.
    I'm trying to do my own research, but it seems the author is refusing to verify his credentials. Since he "talks about it in the book" you can tell us the name of the inspection company he worked for.

(I'm talking about theory successful business outside of the inspection industry have used by the way). I'm going to clue you in on something guys, Nathan didn't invent the idea of offering value added services, differentiation and USP's. He is just a smart enough businessman to apply it and tap into an industry and guys where it is needed.
    Signed, Newbie

Mike .. Are you are aware that there are legal restrictions in some states on inspectors providing value added services.
    In AZ an inspector can be fined up to $2000 per illegal action, and even loose his Lic.

Do you know the one's in your state?

Are those restrictions disclosed in this book?

Can you be charged with a felony for helping promote possible illegal actions?

Sine you claimed to not know Nathan and just happened to pop up on this site after this post,
    Are you being paid, via cash, or recieve a discount on Nathans products to recommend this "book" ?

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-11-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

Mike Rosato Guest

Unbelievable...I'm not even going to entertain most of the responses, but I will address some. Dan regarding questioning my ethics and integrity. No, there is nothing unethical happening in my business or in the book. No one has suggested making agents your alignment over the client, or giving agents a kick back, or watering down reports, or not following SOP's and ethics. That would be as unethical as what's going on with your slander. Step down from the high horse dude and please enlighten me as to what is going on that is unethical. Please don't just give me your opinion, give me something that is sanctionable by the governing bodies in this industry. Show me where it is written or the governing bodies and ethics committees are saying don't use and offer the services mentioned in the book. Offering value added services, TO YOUR CLIENT, the home buyer is not unethical. I suggest you look up the theory value added service, in a business book because it seems you have it synonymous with the word unethical or gimmick. By the way, I'm almost done with the book and it is great and has good things to offer if you are willing to see it..

100% truth, I have never met Nathan and I subscribed to his services before I bought the book. I bought the book because I am a business professional and for research purposes--fifteen dollars does not break the bank and I will not refuse progress and cut off my nose to spite my face under the guise of screaming he is not credible and experienced enough.

You better believe I'm going to introduce myself to him in Vegas this year though because he offers a great product to offer my clients. I would offer to buy him a drink, but I will probably get accused of being unethical.

Mike Rosato
    Beacon Property Inspections
    Home Inspections in Riverside, Temecula, Murrieta, Moreno Valley and San Diego

Last edited by Mike Rosato; 09-11-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add signature

I've been following this thread to see where it went, and it went where one would expect it to go when it starts off with:

1) Buy my book.
    2) Review my book ... (wait a dang minute here, usually one is PAID to "review" something, one does not have to PAY for the privilege of "reviewing" something ...)
    3) If you review my book, then I will send you some of your money back ... (go back to 2) above)
    Jerry, normally you don't miss a thing, normally.

for a limited time only

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Skalski View Post
    Jerry, normally you don't miss a thing, normally.
    for a limited time only
    Then what?

Wait! If you call within the next TEN MINUTES you will send ANOTHER BOOK ABSOLUTELY FREE! A $399 value FREE! (Just pay separate shipping and handling.)

Wait! That is not all! We will DOUBLE the above special if you call within the next ten minutes! (Just pay separate shipping and handling.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

BTW, S & H on that additional book will be just $59.95!

Guys.. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this book.
    After reading the reviews from this site
    The Hungry Home Inspector - Page 5 - InterNACHI Inspection Forum

and hearing what Mike R has to say about the book on this site. He strongly recommends buying it , even though he hasn't finished reading the book yet.

I don't know and cannot say for sure but we might be missing out on the most important book that's ever been offered that can change our lives , our ways of doing business and make us millions.

www.inspectaz.com

So the real question remains--why has Mr. Thornberry (or his boosters on this site) refused to answer a few simple questions regarding his background and credentials?

And he also hasn't responded to my request for him to mail me the book so I can do a review for him.

So the real question remains--why has Mr. Thornberry (or his boosters on this site) refused to answer a few simple questions regarding his background and credentials?

And he also hasn't responded to my request for him to mail me the book so I can do a review for him.
    Spoken by someone truly concerned about others "Hiding" behind their own background....

"Bridgeman" ...

LOL

Well, that's one cheerleader for Thornberry--better than nothing, I guess.

But still no responses/answers to the questions asked of the book peddler.

And FWIW, if knowing my name is that important enough for anyone, all it takes is a quick glance at my introductory post, available from my profile. I'm not currently active in performing home inspections, and didn't think using it (or not) was such a big deal. Sorry for clouding up your thought processes, Hagarty.

Trust me, if I had authored and was trying to sell a book, I would jump at the chance to answer any/all legitimate questions regarding my experience and background. Wouldn't anyone (at least those who have nothing to hide)? Makes absolutely no sense not to--unless the truth is too damaging.

Well, that's one cheerleader for Thornberry--better than nothing, I guess.

But still no responses/answers to the questions asked of the book peddler.

And FWIW, if knowing my name is that important enough for anyone, all it takes is a quick glance at my introductory post, available from my profile. I'm not currently active in performing home inspections, and didn't think using it (or not) was such a big deal. Sorry for clouding up your thought processes, Hagarty.

Trust me, if I had authored and was trying to sell a book, I would jump at the chance to answer any/all legitimate questions regarding my experience and background. Wouldn't anyone (at least those who have nothing to hide)? Makes absolutely no sense not to--unless the truth is too damaging.

You know who I am...
    If you are willing to make accusations of others...
    Let them know who you are...
    and not where you are hiding (under a bridge)...

All right, Hagarty's goading has gotten to me. My name is Michael Kober, semi-retired professional engineer (licensed in 7 states), and former home inspector.

Let me spin my credentials a bit, like Thornberry does. I've actively inspected only 3500+ bridges and buildings in 12 states during my 40+ year career, working privately and for 2 state DOTs. However, because I've worked as a bridge inspection instructor for the National Highway Institute on multiple occasions, under the auspices of the National Bridge Inspection Standards, which is responsible for the inspection of the nation's 605,000+ bridges, I'll pull a Thornberry--"I've been actively involved in inspecting more than 605,000 structures in the last 40 years."

Now, if you'll send me some money, I'd like you to review my book (when I get around to writing it).

Just another shoveleena (Texas talk for shovel-leaner) from the HI pick and shovel brigade with a sad, sordid story to tell. Dime a dozen.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    Just another shoveleena (Texas talk for shovel-leaner) from the HI pick and shovel brigade with a sad, sordid story to tell. Dime a dozen.
    Now... that was funny!

Bless your sweet little heart, Aaron! You are so clever!

John Remark Guest

Bless you sweet heart :-) Now that is too funny-- Tell us what you really think of him :-)

Tell us what you really think of him
    I assure you that the feeling is mutual all around.

Texas Inspector

Rick said in another thread that the 12 persons that contributed amount to about a page per person out of a 150 page book. Which is informative.

Thanks to Rick C. at least it is known that he book is 150 pages. He had other things to say about the book but you can read them for your selves.

Like Jerry said :
    "1) Buy my book.
    3) If you review my book, then I will send you some of your money back ... (go back to 2) above)"

Why is there a problem with a more technical description of the book?

Nathan,
    Ken is not asking for your birth cert. just a simple delineation of the background that went into the writing of the book.. He wants to be able to connect with you. You do not have to be so defensive just answer his simple questions. He is just trying to understand exactly where you are coming from. You seem to take the same tact as Lisa E. and work so hard at not answering a direct question. Hey you may be another Zig Ziglar, met him 1st back in the 70s and have his books also. He hyped himself but he also would not hesitate to answer any question put to him. He had a philosophy that was translated into method. Some usable some not, you used and adapted to your own situation. So, why not answer Ken's questions ? Really think it would have taken less time and effort on your part.

We do not want Ken to go home and kick his cat. (from a Ziglar story)

I assure you that the feeling is mutual all around.
    Yes, I'm sure it is Aaron.

The book is a first of it's kind frankly, and if you read it right, it should feel like a conversation with you about your home inspection business. Unfortunately I couldn't write one specifically for every home inspector out there, but I think it covers them pretty good and the reviews seem to back me up there.

But let's have a conversation with Aaron for a moment. An important one Aaron, and you don't even have to buy the book to get this...

Let me tell you a couple of things that you might have picked up had you joined myself and Dominic Maricic for instance at any one of the events we presented to inspectors at....or one of these events I'm doing with the "evil" Nick Gromicko...or if you had read the book instead of criticizing something you've never read and a person you've never met.

1. Your website is awesome! For me! Why? Because a number of my clients are advertising on it. You are allowing this to happen, you've made a poor business decision to be advertising my clients, for the pennies a month those ads might drive to you or worse yet just support a free website or something. I want to personally thank you for driving business to the more savvy inspectors (excuse me, the dummies who listen to me and other contributors to the book) who are advertising to your clients on most pages of your website!

2. You obviously don't have Google Analytics installed on your site. If you did, you'd know that you're losing 60%+ of the visitors on your pricing page. You really don't want to be publishing your pricing out there anyway because you want them to CALL YOU, but to put that novel of a pricing methodology out really shows you have been avoiding these "evil salespeople" a lot!

Aaron- Do NOT buy my book. I beg you not to. If you do, my clients won't be able to poach your potential clients off your pricing page and you'd probably fix the other couple dozen things that are wrong with your site too that are costing you money every single day.

You have a lot going for you, just a few changes could make a huge difference for you. And when I say A LOT- I mean it. You have a great logo, a lot of experience, you accept American Express (most won't do that), and you're in a huge market.

If we could only pry that closed mind open just enough...

Aaron- Do NOT buy my book. I beg you not to.
    Nathan, get off your knees. I promise not to buy your book; really I do.

Your lackluster attempt at an assessment (d.b.a. assassination) of my business savvy is indicative of your nature. You make money by sniping others and then selling them bandages and ointments to mend their wounds. Like your comrades in the HI pick and shovel brigade, and in all other old-school American businesses, you first create the symptoms, then the disease, the cure, and finally the cures for the contraindications which present themselves following the cure. And, did I mention, all for an exorbitant fee?

There is a word for that sort of person. But, hey, we're all friends here, right?

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 09-17-2012 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Elucidation.
    Texas Inspector

And the answer is ???

Not for lack of time from the number and length of the postings.
    There has to be another reason..........What could it be ????

Nathan, get off your knees. I promise not to buy your book; really I do.

Your lackluster attempt at an assessment (d.b.a. assassination) of my business savvy is indicative of your nature. You make money by sniping others and then selling them bandages and ointments to mend their wounds. Like your comrades in the HI pick and shovel brigade, and in all other old-school American businesses, you first create the symptoms, then the disease, the cure, and finally the cures for the contraindications which present themselves following the cure. And, did I mention, all for an exorbitant fee?

There is a word for that sort of person. But, hey, we're all friends here, right?
    Alright, so please let me know what I created and name one thing I do for an "exorbitant" fee. Last time I checked, the most expensive thing I sell to home inspectors was $15 if they chose to pay for it...of course most of our clients get a lot of our stuff for free. I don't offer consulting, I don't sell air, what is it exactly that you think I do?

Nathan, are you going to name the inspection company you claimed to have increase inspections for 10 years ago?
    Security Home Inspections, Carmel, IN

I was receptive to getting my hands on some new inspection related material so I went ahead and ordered one. It came with 3 audio CD's which was a nice surprise. Listened to the final yesterday afternoon on the way home from an inspection.

I think Nathan did a good job in the writing and reading. He provides a variety of food for thought, debunking a few myths and providing anecdotes. There were some plugs interspersed for his own list of services as well as vendors with products and services such as software and coaching. I think Nathan spends a a noticeable amount of time trying to build credibility for himself and others, while the listener just has to listen. That's the thing about books from "experts" in a given field. It's a one-way conversation. I thought to myself sometimes, "Hey, what about my experiences and the differences in my approach based on my market?"

In my opinion, he does make some generalizations about the inspection business as a whole, including the mindset of inspectors operating as "technicians" instead of business owners. All I can say is that you have to wear a lot of hats to be successful. I enjoyed the story about Carleton Sheets. I probably still have the cassettes somewhere. LOL. Either way, it's definitely worth the read and I have the CD's to listen to whenever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    Security Home Inspections, Carmel, IN
    Thank you. Why couldn't Nathan have answered this days ago. Would have prevented some negative posts I think.

Thank you. Why couldn't Nathan have answered this days ago. Would have prevented some negative posts I think.
    You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?

You knew the answer, but how else were we supposed to get this thread over 1,000 views?
    LOL.. 114 posts, You did good, straight from ole nickies aka lisa hand book. Create a post with little information, act like the victom, slam a couple posters to keep it going, all to create more free advertizing..
    I did notice you used "we" instead of I , another misleading word you suggest to help it look like you are more than one person..

www.inspectaz.com

LOL.. 114 posts, You did good, straight from ole nickies aka lisa hand book. Create a post with little information, act like the victom, slam a couple posters to keep it going, all to create more free advertizing..
    I did notice you used "we" instead of I , another misleading word you suggest to help it look like you are more than one person..
    In our case, "We're" 35 people and growing...but there's nothing wrong with small either. In 2002 my warranty company was one person- and "we" were on our way! lol

what is it exactly that you think I do?
    @ Nathan: Snake oil comes to mind.

Texas Inspector

@ Nathan: Snake oil comes to mind.
    Yes, we get that, everyone knows what you think of vendors in general, but once again what problem is it that I created and what do I sell for an exorbitant amount of money?

In our case, "We're" 35 people and growing...but there's nothing wrong with small either. In 2002 my warranty company was one person- and "we" were on our way! lol
    From the comment by Steven T on the review post on this topic, it looks like maybe you should make it 36 people so you can reply to your private emails in a timely manner from poential customers, instead of making excuses that your too busy to reply

Free Marketing tip, for the others, [ I'm sure the expert book writing/ marketing geru Nathan knows this ]
    NEVER tell a poential client that you've been too busy, or make excuses explaining why you didn't reply to their email .

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-17-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    www.inspectaz.com

what do I sell for an exorbitant amount of money?
    @ Nathan: The expression is, in this case, applied metaphorically to products and services with questionable and/or unverifiable quality or benefit. That seems to cover all that you have offered here, e.g. insurance, non-existent credentials, self-help books, . . . did I miss something?

Texas Inspector

I didn't know the answer until it was posted in the forum. But your response shows what type of person you are.

There seems to be dissenting reviews and opinions at the InterHachi message forum also.

Why not turn the thread into examples of how to embellish a experience ?
    Or how to market yourself in a better light.

Such as:

Embellished:
    Marketing and Direct Sales Director for Sylvania light bulbs.
    or
    Fund raiser for Boy Scouts of America.

Actual:
    Sold Sylvania light bulbs door to door to raise money for Boy Scout troop in the 60's, at age of 12.

Anyone else have a story to embellish ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast