Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need book reviewers!

I've written a book for home inspectors entitled "The Hungry Home Inspector." We've sold over 1500 copies thus far, and it is getting some great reviews...but I'm looking for some active posters to read it and post their thoughts here. Message me if you're interested in reviewing the book- and you can check it out here:

www.TheHungryHomeInspector.com

I'm offering a refund on the shipping and handling fees of $10 to those who review the book and post here, for a limited time only.

Thanks!

Here's my last review:

Michael Meeker's review of the book:

THE HUNGRY HOME INSPECTOR

"I found the book to be well written and very easy to understand. Nathan used real life examples of why he recommends the things he does and why they work. His life experiences that he shares with us also helps establish why he is qualified to write about the things he does. He just does not think these things are good ideas he has tried them out or seen others use them firsthand. I actually felt as if he were speaking to me personally because of many of the beliefs or feelings I have had since I entered this business. If you are willing to listen to someone else and not just keep doing the things you have always done I believe there is much to be learned. If you are hardheaded and not open to change then do not bother with it. When you combine his generous offer to all those who review it and the Resources Section I think it would be great for all those who want some changes in their business model. The thing that sticks most in my mind was something he said. I looked for it real quickly but could not find it with a quick scan before I began this review. He said basically that when some home inspectors retire they just unplug the phone when others retire they sell their business and get something out of all the hard work they put into it. Sure Nathan has something to gain if you use some of his suggestions but that does not mean they are not good suggestions. It is likely the reason he was willing to write the book and put all this good info in one place for us. It has made me look at things a little differently than I have in the past and I will very likely follow quite a few of his suggestions. I personally have as most of you know never really enjoyed the written standard home inspections I perform. I have been thinking of a few different ideas over the years and have even reached out to a few different inspectors who are doing full home inspections a little differently than myself and have never really gotten any response. This book has really gotten me to consider becoming a multi inspector firm because although I do not enjoy the work in the field I do enjoy providing folks with a service that they love and are very happy with. I have learned that it may not be in my best interests to do absolutely everything myself. If I implement some of the new ideas in my head I just may enjoy the Home Inspection Industry a little more. Even after all the time I spend on these message boards I was not aware of most of the things in the Resources Section. Sure I have heard of a few but to have all that info with names and contact info as well. That stuff alone would save you many hours searching for them on the internet even if you had kind of heard of a few of them. All and all I must say get your order in as I was impressed with the book. I would talk more about specifics but I believe that Nathan has put all the info and work into the book and it is his story to tell or sell. I hope my competition does not implement his ideas because I believe many of them would work."

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Need book reviewers!

Book cost = $ 15.94
    30% sale = $ 11.16
    Ship & Hand= $ 14.00

So much for the math.....

If you would like to have some reviews you should contact some members directly ( PM) and ask if they would review your book. Send them a copy to review (no cost). Frankly just sounds like a marketing ploy to move some books. The reviews/comments that I have seen (except for Meeker)are just some fluff, similar to an info-commercial that really says nothing.

Review: Background of author, experience and credentials, number of chapters, number of pages, topic areas, type of content and so on would be nice. Since I think you are selling/offering something other than a narrative of your 12 years since high school. But was not able to determine actually what is in the book at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Book cost = $ 15.94
    30% sale = $ 11.16
    Ship & Hand= $ 14.00

If you would like to have some reviews you should contact some members directly ( PM) and ask if they would review your book. Send them a copy to review (no cost). Frankly just sounds like a marketing ploy to move some books. The reviews/comments that I have seen (except for Meeker)are just some fluff, similar to an info-commercial that really says nothing.

Review: Background of author, experience and credentials, number of chapters, number of pages, topic areas, type of content and so on would be nice. Since I think you are selling/offering something other than a narrative of your 12 years since high school. But was not able to determine actually what is in the book at this point.
    Now that is an honest review!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Nathan, send (email a PDF) me a copy of your book and I read and review it. This cost only a click and a send. Thanks

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ramirez View Post
    Nathan, send (email a PDF) me a copy of your book and I read and review it. This cost only a click and a send. Thanks

Rick
    I tell you what- if you promise to read the book, and any one of the two posters above agree to buy a copy if your review is a positive one, I'll mail it out Monday. But I also want you to post a review, right here on this thread, even if you think it totally sucked, deal?

Guys, either one of you game?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Book cost = $ 15.94
    30% sale = $ 11.16
    Ship & Hand= $ 14.00

I've never seen so much math done over $15! You're a thorough guy...

I wouldn't know what info-mercial reviews you're referring to, they've all been unsolicited and outside of Meeker, from people who bought the book.

The book is basically a how-to for inspectors who actually want to make money...it's all non-technical, in fact I would go so far as to say it is sarcastically non-technical. I don't make enough money off a book to play those games you allude to either...wouldn't even be worth the time to post once frankly.

Wow--that says it all, a home inspector's manual that's "non-technical," that Mr. Thornberry expects people to buy under the guise of performing a review. Wonder if he sold used cars in a previous life?

I guess Thornberry thinks P.T. Barnum was right when he said there's a sucker born every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Wow--that says it all, a home inspector's manual that's "non-technical," that Mr. Thornberry expects people to buy under the guise of performing a review. Wonder if he sold used cars in a previous life?

I guess Thornberry thinks P.T. Barnum was right when he said there's a sucker born every minute.
    Ya gotta give the guy credit for trying it kinda looks like he's been hanging around that gromekoo guy, between the 2 of them they should be able to scam a few thousand $s from newbys that haven't figured out they can get all of the information they need , for free, from the members on this site

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I believe the current world birth rate has been reported to be projected as exceeding 4 births per second. When adjusted by the world death rate of slightly less than 2 per second, the resulting projected population increase for this year is est. at over 76 million

The topic and contribution of the OP has a familiar Ben G. aroma (stink?!?) of 2 years past.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-07-2012 at 09:08 PM.

I think you guys are being to hard on him (and others like him).

He has a service he thinks would be of interest and benefit to us.
    Maybe he could have presented it differently, but I think he would have received the same cold response.

Chasing away advertisers is not in our, or our host interest.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I have not read the book, yet I get that the concept of marketing and business techniques aren't "technical" to our profession. No reason to think all business related books/guides need to be technical in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Thornberry View Post
    I've never seen so much math done over $15! You're a thorough guy...

I wouldn't know what info-mercial reviews you're referring to, they've all been unsolicited and outside of Meeker, from people who bought the book.

The book is basically a how-to for inspectors who actually want to make money...it's all non-technical, in fact I would go so far as to say it is sarcastically non-technical. I don't make enough money off a book to play those games you allude to either...wouldn't even be worth the time to post once frankly.

Nat,
    The $15 is something of a side issue. When an offer is made I look at the bottom line to determine what is actually being offered and the underlying requirements of the offer. I always take pause when shipping and handling is more than the product offered.

To many people have read that a quick way to make money is to make up a product that costs the developer a minimal amount and then place advertisements all over the place in the hope of making an fortune. The trick is to have a lot of products Either I hit the mental mute button or they have decreased, not sure.

My original post to you had two basic purposes. One was to get your ball rolling in the forum. The second was to make some helpful suggestions on your desire to develop some honest industry supported reviews.

Many look at a review to actually inform the reader about the subject not a feel good warm fuzzy opinion. Nothing really bad with warm and fuzzy, but objective insightful works better for me. A car may look and sound good but I want to know exactly what is under the hood.

Take nothing I say as anything other than constructive criticism and positive suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ramirez View Post

Rick
    I tell you what- if you promise to read the book, and any one of the two posters above agree to buy a copy if your review is a positive one, I'll mail it out Monday. But I also want you to post a review, right here on this thread, even if you think it totally sucked, deal?

Nat,
    Positive or negative review that doesn't offer insight into what is being review means nothing. I have seen to many movies and bought to many things that had bad reviews but that I liked the design and specifications. Thought the idea of you directly contacting those members who's opinion you think would be of value was good. This forum has many members that can offer you an honest and critical review of your offering. That may mean you will have to provide a copy to them without any strings attached. Which may go against you business model. The forum does have a lot of skeptical members that do not take things at face value. Which is not bad, just a byproduct of Home Inspection process.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I think you guys are being to hard on him (and others like him).

He has a service he thinks would be of interest and benefit to us.
    Maybe he could have presented it differently, but I think he would have received the same cold response.

Chasing away advertisers is not in our, or our host interest.
    They're not being hard on me, they're being themselves and if they never open their minds to anything other than what they know already they will remain low-volume "home inspectors for hire with a website" rather than business owners...it's all good with me, there's always going to be some on either side of that fence separating the green grass from the swamp of despair where a $15 book is way too much to invest in yourself and must be analyzed and Nathan must be the "evil profit seeking vendor." It's laughable. Luckily, every time one of these guys posts something like this I sell another book

Look at my offer above and the corresponding response. 'nuff said.

And I know I have good stuff to offer- over 3500 home inspection companies doing an average of over 400 inspection inspections per year and as high as 15,000 per year (yes, that's one company) swear by RecallChek and the 90-Day Warranty. I just wasn't here to sell it, nor is the book book a sales pitch for it, I'm simply looking for a review and I'm willing to pay for it essentially. If you want to look into my services see ads below and on every other page of this site, if you want to waste your own time posting your brilliant conspiracies about how a vendor is scamming everyone when you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about, go find something more productive to do!

There are a couple companies doing over 40,000 inspections a year. These are multi inspector "companies", not sole proprietorships like the majority of home inspectors across the nation.

If it's true that "every time one of these guys posts something like this I sell another book " then why would you offer free shipping? Or, is it that you're simply using this website as free marketing?

If it's true that you're simply looking for reviews I would think you'd send them out free of charge to established home inspectors. You can get a list of chapter presidents from ASHI.org.

Looking at your "Author" page on you book website I don't see where you provide any information as to how many inspections you've done, how you've grown your own inspection business, or any of your inspection certifications or memberships.

One would think the author of a book on how to grow your inspection business would actually have first hand knowledge of the subject. So, by all means, tell us your personal experience growing your own inspection business.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 09-08-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Well, I guess I'm one of those two posters.... Sorry, I have no intent on buying your book. I have nothing against you but from what I have seen of your postings I do not share the same idealism's and business logic that you do. IMVHO, it seems that you need home inspectors more than they need you, your book or your service companies.

I wish you all the best with your book, but I will not be buying a copy.

Nathan, is the warranty company and Recall Check a family business or did you start it on your own?

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 09-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Well, I guess I'm one of those two posters.... Sorry, I have no intent on buying your book. I have nothing against you but from what I have seen of your postings I do not share the same idealisms and business logic that you do. IMVHO, it seems that you need home inspectors more than they need you, your book or your service companies.

I wish you all the best with your book, but I will not be buying a copy.
    Fair enough, though I think you're understating not having anything against me

Here's a couple links I thought some of you might find fascinating;

The Hungry Home Inspector by P Nathan Thornberry

(reviews we've posted)

Marketing

(a statement from an inspector currently reading the book)

InterNACHI Inspection Forum

(several reviews and statements on the book from your fellow inspectors)

Great news guys! One of you bought the book and agreed to review it...I'll be rebating the entire charge as soon as the review is posted regardless of whether it is good or bad.

In the meantime there's one more place to get the book free of charge...

Inspector Marketing Tour

Join Nick Gromicko and I for the Inspection World Marketing Tour and you get a copy...

OR...

Get a free copy when you see me speak at ASHI Inspection World

www.InspectionWorld.com

(My bio and the course can be found at IW Phoenix Education Sessions )

OR...

Get it for free when you come to the Marketing Day at NAHI's annual conference in Myrtle Beach...

NAHI.org

If an ASHI, InterNACHI, and NAHI giving me the stage isn't good enough for you...let me know which other organization I should associate myself with!

Nat,
    Now you are starting to sound like Lisa E.

If you can not take a suggestion offered how will you handle a review that is not what you want. A writer has to be able to accept suggestions and criticism. Else they become paranoid.

I have invested in a lot of door stops over the years. Despite your contention about the dollar amount and its value applied to ourselves. I can only respond that if the book was such a value, would it not be reasonable to get some practical reviews of it. Why not select 12, no 8, how about 5 members of the forum and send them a copy for an informative review. If the value is there then you have nothing to loose. Go out on that proverbial branch and have HG Watson to write a review, it may be longer than your book. Oh, just occurred to me, how about the 12 contributors offering their review of the book. Just another thought.

You came here looking for reviews, why not get a few? Even if you have to work for them.

Poor Nathan--he lacks the ability to properly compose a simple sentence in the English language (see the first line after his mug shot in his "biography" link, or his own recent statement in Post 18 asking us to "join Nick Gromicko and I"--correct pronoun should be the objective case, "me"), making his self-proclaimed "writer" status questionable. And yet he grumbles because people are seeing him for what he really is--someone trying to avoid paying for legitimate advertising on the site, but rather using a gimmick to make a sale.

Last edited by BridgeMan; 09-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Poor Nathan--he lacks the ability to properly compose a simple sentence in the English language (see the first line after his mug shot in his "biography" link, or his own recent statement in Post 18 asking us to "join Nick Gromicko and I"--correct pronoun should be the objective case, "me"), making his self-proclaimed "writer" status questionable. And yet he grumbles because people are seeing him for what he really is--someone trying to avoid paying for legitimate advertising on the site, but rather using a gimmick to make a sale.
    The small mindedness never ceases! Do you see my ads all over this site? How exactly am I getting free advertising out of this?

You'll be happy to know I had a good editor for the book, though I can't really take credit for ASHI's site- you're correct about the pronoun usage but you'd be surprised how many would call it the other way albeit incorrectly.

[QUOTE=Nathan Thornberry;207816]The small mindedness never ceases! Do you see my ads all over this site? How exactly am I getting free advertising out of this?
    QUOTE]

Nathan, I don't know for sure what bridge man was referring to.
    Myself , I see 20 plus advertizers with great products, including you that bring this site to us for no charge, by the way of ads that we can click on to see if the products meet our needs.

The difference is there are only you and one other advertizer that plaster this site/ try to shove your product down our throughts with advertizing beyond what the other 18 or so do.

Most of us come to this site to share and learn from our experiences, not to see non stop self promoting / advertizing

Marketing suggestion.. If your click on ads are not getting you enough responses, it may be worthwhile to check with the other advertizers, [ not nick ] to see what they do, instead of no-stop advertizing , that do not add anything to the purpose of this site..

Last edited by Dan Harris; 09-08-2012 at 08:36 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Ken wrote:

There are a couple companies doing over 40,000 inspections a year. These are multi inspector "companies", not sole proprietorships like the majority of home inspectors across the nation.
    Is that a typo? 40,000 inspections per year given the state of the economy?

Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Ken wrote:

Is that a typo? 40,000 inspections per year given the state of the economy?

Just asking.
    I'm not sure where he got that, the largest single location company in the country does around 15,000 per year with 35 inspectors.

(Unless we're talking wind mits I suppose, but I wasn't counting those)

I'm not sure where he got that, the largest single location company in the country does around 15,000 per year with 35 inspectors.

(Unless we're talking wind mits I suppose, but I wasn't counting those)
    I never said anything about single location companies. When a company has 200 inspectors it's not very difficult to get 40,000 inspections per year.

I'm still waiting for your personal experience as an inspector growing your business Nathan.

Just because you're a vender for home inspectors doesn't mean you have any clue as to how the business operates or how to grow an inspection company. Sort of like if I, as a vendor to real estate agents. offered to share my knowledge (for a fee) for them to grow their business. It probably wouldn't go over so well.

Nathan,

Knowing the caliber of regular posters here...
    You may be Wasting your time.....

maybe your advertising dollars also...

you will have to decide.....

In my opinion, one does not have to be a home inspector to be able to teach marketing skills.

My bet is many home inspectors don't know anything about marketing concepts, even though they are great inspectors.

Marketing is marketing, its about how to sell a product, what works, what doesn't, your target audience, methods used to achieve goals.

Why would a marketing person have to know how to inspect furnaces or plumbing in order to market a product?

Just look at the number of web sites of inspectors who can't even figure out how to place their name on their website. I wonder how they get any work, but they blab on about all their experience and how great they are.

I have to agree with the majority. You can get any information from this site that you may need, or others like it. If this was a site for building confidence in venture your book might be welcome. Good Luck in your personal venture."Dont go to bed with a bird on your head, you get crappy ideas."

In my opinion, one does not have to be a home inspector to be able to teach marketing skills.

My bet is many home inspectors don't know anything about marketing concepts, even though they are great inspectors.

Marketing is marketing, its about how to sell a product, what works, what doesn't, your target audience, methods used to achieve goals.

Why would a marketing person have to know how to inspect furnaces or plumbing in order to market a product?

Just look at the number of web sites of inspectors who can't even figure out how to place their name on their website. I wonder how they get any work, but they blab on about all their experience and how great they are.
    I noticed the Yo-Yo String finally broke....
    Not seeing you as a NACHI Member anymore...
    I guess you finally learned enough to make it on your own....
    Congrats.....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Skalski View Post
    I have to agree with the majority. You can get any information from this site that you may need, or others like it. If this was a site for building confidence in venture your book might be welcome. Good Luck in your personal venture."Dont go to bed with a bird on your head, you get crappy ideas."
    AAaawww
    and a Confirmation posting....
    Nice...

Hi Joseph

I am fortunate I have not had to rely on any association to make it.

If I did I would be starving and I am already thin enough.

Cheers,

Hi Joseph

I am fortunate I have not had to rely on any association to make it.

If I did I would be starving and I am already thin enough.

Cheers,
    Not fortunate....
    just unwilling to pay for it...

have a great weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    Nathan,

Knowing the caliber of regular posters here...
    You may be Wasting your time.....

maybe your advertising dollars also...

you will have to decide.....
    Hi Joe.. good to see you posting here again.
    Should we "quote' your posts before you come back and erase them ?

www.inspectaz.com

Nathan, If you are trying to sell your book to established home inspectors, you are doomed. At best, you will sell 1000 copies. Any book that has done well sells to PROSPECTIVE home inspectors, of which there are 10's of thousands. You would do well to offer a free copy (in PDF as Rick suggested, maybe self destructing as that is possible) to give you honest reviews. Better yet, publish on Kindle for a buck and sell a hundred thousand copies.
    Or tell us why we need to read this book!

END GLOBAL WHINING

Raymond, Keep in mind Nathan is not teaching marketing skills. According to his website:

The Hungry Home Inspector is a how-to for home inspectors looking to not only deliver a phnomenal service, but also make a profit in the process! The strategies in this book work equally well for single-man operations as they do for multi-inspector firms. Every topic is explained in detail:
    • When should you deliver the report?
    • How do you get a client to choose you?
    • What's the best way to handle relationshipss with real estate agents?
    • Should you market to them?
    Sure, marketing is marketing but unless he's ever done an inspection and delivered a report or worked with real estate agents in the past how would he know what works best?

It's just another attempt to package and sell information which can already be obtained for free, just like checking recalls.

Great news guys! One of you bought the book and agreed to review it...I'll be rebating the entire charge as soon as the review is posted regardless of whether it is good or bad.

In the meantime there's one more place to get the book free of charge...

Inspector Marketing Tour

Join Nick Gromicko and I for the Inspection World Marketing Tour and you get a copy...

OR...

Get a free copy when you see me speak at ASHI Inspection World

www.InspectionWorld.com

(My bio and the course can be found at IW Phoenix Education Sessions )

OR...

Get it for free when you come to the Marketing Day at NAHI's annual conference in Myrtle Beach...

NAHI.org

If an ASHI, InterNACHI, and NAHI giving me the stage isn't good enough for you...let me know which other organization I should associate myself with!
    I found the bio.... It looks a tad overinflated..
    P. Nathan Thornberry is the president of The Inspector Services Group has been involved in more than 500,000 inspections. He has spoken to thousands of inspectors on marketing topics, and was responsible for marketing campaigns that ultimately resulted in a $2 million single-location inspection company with 15 full-time inspectors. Presently, he runs the largest 90-Day Warranty program for home inspectors and a call center. Also, his company is the exclusive marketer of RecallChek- the #1 product in the home inspection industry

Why not say your company has been associated with over 500,000 inspections? You make it sound like you are a home inspector..

Is the inspection company you speak of the one that Patty owns?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

P. Nathan Thornberry is the president of The Inspector Services Group has been involved in more than 500,000 inspections.
    So as president of our local association chapter with 35 members does that mean I can claim I've been involved in all of my chapter member's inspections? It's got to be around 500,000.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I believe the current world birth rate has been reported to be projected as exceeding 4 births per second. When adjusted by the world death rate of slightly less than 2 per second, the resulting projected population increase for this year is est. at over 76 million

So, adjusting Mr. Barnum's well used maxim for the new demographics you've provided - How many suckers are born a minute?

Bob Kenney
    www.IndependentHomeInspectionMD.com
    Call or TEXT : 410-504-3751 rkenney74@comcast.net

Reading the posts in this thread is very frustrating. I've read Nathans book and thought it contained some great info any Inspector could use to benefit his business (well, those that don't already know it all). I've personally known Nathan for several years now and his integrity and willingness to help other inspectors build their business is to be applauded. I've know about his background in the business but gained much more insight from stories in the book. I have chosen several years ago to utilize many of the products that he provides because they provide benefits to my company, the realtors I work with, and my inspection clients. To those of you who want to belittle this offering and have not taken the time to actually read The Hungry Home Inspector I also applaud you and just wish you were a competitor in my market. I just love my competition who insist that someone else can't teach them anything about growing their business. Nathan, Bravo for some great info and keep up the good work.

Ron Poteet
    Southwest Home Inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Poteet View Post

To those of you who want to belittle this offering and have not taken the time to actually read The Hungry Home Inspector I also applaud you and just wish you were a competitor in my market. I just love my competition who insist that someone else can't teach them anything about growing their business. Nathan, Bravo for some great info and keep up the good work.

Ron Poteet
    Excellent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Poteet View Post
    Reading the posts in this thread is very frustrating. I've read Nathans book and thought it contained some great info any Inspector could use to benefit his business (well, those that don't already know it all). I've personally known Nathan for several years now and his integrity and willingness to help other inspectors build their business is to be applauded. I've know about his background in the business but gained much more insight from stories in the book. I have chosen several years ago to utilize many of the products that he provides because they provide benefits to my company, the realtors I work with, and my inspection clients. To those of you who want to belittle this offering and have not taken the time to actually read The Hungry Home Inspector I also applaud you and just wish you were a competitor in my market. I just love my competition who insist that someone else can't teach them anything about growing their business. Nathan, Bravo for some great info and keep up the good work.

Ron Poteet
    Having a website will help grow your business Ron. That'll be $15 please.

Mike Rosato Guest

On one hand I am flabbergasted with how close minded, unprofessional and egotistical many home inspectors that are posting here are--There is a lot of ego and arrogance spewing out here. On the other hand, I see it as a positive for growth and opportunity for a real progressive, not regressive business professional in this industry. I reluctantly say this loosely because I am not only a home inspector and business professional, but also a humanist and I would bend over backwards to help anyone--even a competitor in my market area any way that I can. I want to see everyone succeed and the old school thinking of competitors and progressives being your enemy is bad business, will hold you back and should not be part of your business strategy.

Many of the above remarks really stem from fear of competition and probably lack of marketing ability... Competition is good, it keeps you on your toes and at the top of your game, unless you are an old dog not willing to learn new tricks or fear change of any kind. I see Nathan and the others aligning themselves and partnering to advance the industry for the better of all of us and the profession as a whole. Sure, they have motives for their own business advancement and growth, but rightfully so. They are true professional business men and women who want to get ahead and realize the main way to do so is to offer value. They recognize that if the industry and home inspection businesses advance beyond their comfort zone, so will their businesses. Some of you old schoolers would be wise and should understand that many of us want to move forward and learn new things--this industry was very much in need of an overhaul before they came along regarding advancement and professionalism. Businesses need to stay ahead in the game, or get left behind. I am a new business owner in this industry, but have done my research--This industry has historically been very blue collar at most levels and if you want the real estate profession, home buyers and others to consider us true professionals, we need to conduct ourselves professionally. The I know everything "construction mentality", puffed ego and refusal of constructive criticism and advice needs to go. Don't get me wrong, I'm 45 and most of my life have been blue collar and I still am at some levels of my business. There is nothing wrong with that, but when you let it hold your business back and mask the real elephant in the room--fear and unwillingness to market and continually grow, it becomes a problem for your advancement. You can remain in denial about it, that is your choice as the leader of you business, but it will hold back your true potential. To advance beyond your box, you need to think white collar at the administration level unless you want to just close the door and turn off the lights when you retire--if you ever can retire comfortably. Either that, or pass the business on to your kid who you have destined to blue collar micro business thinking because they are watching your example. You have heard the term "generations on welfare"--I call this phenomenon "generations of blue collar" thinking. Those of you haters with multi-inspector firms who are very successful already, just think how much further you could go if you opened up your mind a little and make that leap?

Even though the HI industry has been around for quite a while now, it was lacking tremendously professionally from a business standpoint. Please don't take this as an insult guys, many of you are great and I admire and respect some of you as I have been watching most of you from the background staying silent researching, thinking and developing my business plan and marketing strategy. Most of us want to grow and the pioneers of new thought are very much needed for our profession to advance to the next level professionally.

This is my first post here on this blog. For the record, I am a new business owner, not new to inspection, but a new business owner. Businesses and Guys like Nathan, Dom, the boys at COA, ISN, Mike Crow and Nick and other professionals are helping our profession advance which is easy to see unless you are living in a box and are driven by your ego, emotions and fear. I know who these guys are from my own research and evaluation of the industry. Most of them have no idea who I am. I only know of them from extensive research of this industry. Sure I have signed up for a few of their services but solely from a business value standpoint. Yes, I have purchased the book, but just received it Friday. I started to read it, but only a few chapters so far--I can clearly see it's a phenomenal book already. I will read and finish it this afternoon and post a review. I have to say, by seeing your fear, ruffled feathers and hearing the majority of you here down talking the book, without even reading it is comical. Come on guys, think outside the box, why would you not want to know what the competition may be reading or what the leaders of our industry are thinking about the advancement of our industry. I think you guys just hate marketing, sales and change which is counterproductive thinking and regressive for your business in the long run.

I have a dual Bachelors degree in social work and business administration. While I was working on it come registration time each term, some student peers would tell me "don't take that instructor, he or she sucks or is a nightmare". I received the message that this advice is probably coming from a person who wants to do the minimum and that the instructor is probably challenging and I will really learn something from that instructor. I always would enroll in the classes taught by these professors that received bad ratings from my peers and always learned more from them because they challenge us to do better... I see nothing different here from professors like Nathan.

Adding a set of steak knives may sweeten the offer a bit.

Well thats a new one... someone actually calling Nick Gromicko a professional.

1. You must be new
    2. Naive
    3. Haven't really done your research

Mike Rosato Guest

Raymond, instead of propaganda about Nick or others with no examples or even reading the book, speak some truth with examples of how they are not professionals. Fear and diversion of attention cause people to make blanket statements without substantiation. Humor my alleged newbie, naive thinking. I think it more has to do with him and others producing competition for you making you work for your market share.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rosato View Post
    I am not only a home inspector and business professional, but also a humanist and I would bend over backwards to help anyone-.
    Great Send Me The Money.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Mike

No propaganda...

1. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...cky-again.html

2. Case for Licensing

3. New NACHI information - Home Inspection & Home Inspector Services For Inspections and Inspectors

4. What about this? - The Inspector's Journal Forums

I won't even get into how the ESOP works under Nicks direction or how anything go's.

Nachi is not the professional body it thinks it is and wants to be because its a privately held company, no votes, no financials, no accurate membership count, members have no say in the direction or operation.

Nick would sell his own mother if he thought he could profit from it.
    He is a master at using people for his own advantage and profit.

But then again you have not been around long enough to know the sordid details.

I speak from first hand knowledge, I regrettably assisted in getting Nick a foot hold in Canada.

Mike Rosato Guest

Raymond, articles/substantiations are very old--2004 to 2007 and more than likely biased. Nick is still around and doing it right. Also weren't you expelled from NACHI for not following ethics and SOP? I think your opinion is very biased and a scorned one. Time to move on.

Last edited by Mike Rosato; 09-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Raymond, articles/substantiations are very old--2004 to 2007 and more than likely biased. Nick is still around and doing it right. Also weren't you expelled from NACHI for not following ethics and SOP? I think your opinion is very biased and a scorned one. Time to move on.
    Well the info is still relevant now as it was then, all verifiable by others.

Yes I was expelled by Nachi, for posting a profanity laced letter sent by Joe Farsetta to me from his private yahoo account. Of which Joe and party conspired on line in an open forum to throw me out.

Considering you claim to have two degrees I would think you would know about ethics and standards when it comes to a professional body and how such matters are heard in camera, with witnesses, documentation, heard by a unbias committee. None of which I was afforded. It was all done on an open public forum.

Having been the chair of a professional practices committee that had policies and procedures back up by bylaws (which Nachi doesn't) I know very well how a the discipline process works.

As you read through the links there was mention of someone else who also was booted without benefit of a proper hearing.

This is how Nachi operates, its condoned by Farsetta and Nick and the goons on the ESOP who are also clueless.

And for the record, Mr. Cohen a good buddy of Nick and Nachi attorney also agreed with me that the posting of Farsettas private email had nothing whatsoever to do with Nachi.

It is also errant of you to ignore the continual abuse of the forum rules by so called members who get away with breach after breach. In Nachi there is assurance of two rules, those that are Nicks buddies do as they wish, and get what they want. Its all about the money.

I suggest you stop deluding yourself into being brainwashed and move on yourself, after all, ignorance is bliss.

Mike Rosato Guest

Holding on to anger is not healthy or productive. Also, it is not my place to speak of what has happened between you, Joe, Nick and NACHI so please don't try to discuss it with me. If I insulted you and reopened a wound, I am truly sorry Raymond it was not my intention. I wish you the best.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike Rosato Guest

My apologies to this happening on your thread Nathan.

Mike,

No problem, yes its a sore point for me.

My apologies for reacting.

Cheers,

If folks would just post the truth and not half- truths or exagurations much of the issues that everyone is posting about would be a moot point. For some reason when individuals who consider themselves marketing experts talk or write about ways to market or advertise the lies and half baked truths start flying. This is a concept I have never understood or been able tolerate with anyone.

I'm glad that we have individuals that feel that little lies and exagurations are okay and use them in their promotions, it only helps those of us who do not use dishonest tactics to sway folks who just do not know any better.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

If folks would just post the truth and not half- truths or exagurations much of the issues that everyone is posting about would be a moot point. For some reason when individuals who consider themselves marketing experts talk or write about ways to market or advertise the lies and half baked truths start flying. This is a concept I have never understood or been able tolerate with anyone.

I'm glad that we have individuals that feel that little lies and exagurations are okay and use them in their promotions, it only helps those of us who do not use dishonest tactics to sway folks who just do not know any better.
    And then there are people like you, who take my bio and experience, and question it without any knowledge at all. Not only is it in poor taste, you're off base- and you should know that my experience in marketing to real estate agents is pretty good. I say that because I've had a booth at four of the last six Middle Tennessee Realtor Conventions hosted by GNAR, you'll find one or two of my marketing reps in your area at that booth, talking to hundreds of agents that use my home warranty exclusively in the greater Nashville area. I don't know if you had a booth there, but I'd highly suggest it. 500+ agents in one room...and you missed it? And you question my marketing abilities?

If you had done any substantial marketing in the offices in your own home town, you would find that almost all of them have warranty brochures from Residential Warranty Services, Inc., brochures for our SIMPLE warranty and the Advantage Plan, as well as inspectors in almost every office there being promoted with RecallChek and our 90-Day Warranties.

You'd also find that we have a relationship with the largest region of EXIT Realty, EXIT Mid-South, and I've personally flown down on several occasions, landed at the Murfreesboro Municipal Airport, and had full hour sessions training real estate agents on using social media and promoting their business with unique offerings and been back to my office in Indy before lunch.

In August ALONE my reps hit 134 offices a total of 157 times-

Here's a map for you I just pulled.

View image: BAM Dashboard Mozilla Firefox 2012 09 09 22 49

You of all people should be asking me, considering I did over 1500 transactions within 50 miles of your home in the last twelve months alone, "How do I get more agent referrals?"

My apologies to this happening on your thread Nathan.
    No worries, it's incredibly entertaining! I don't take anything personally.

No worries, it's incredibly entertaining! I don't take anything personally.
    So is Someone gonna Send Me The Money or Not?
    *doesn't matter who.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

In case you're just tuning in or have forgotten what we were talking about...

Nathan,
    It appears that you might have a great book there, based on the people that contributed to it. I would be happy to read it, and write a review. However, I am not interested in buying the book, or even paying postage. If you want to send me a copy, I would be happy to write a review.

I have three inspection related books on my bookshelf that the authors sent to me, for free. In fact most authors (and agents) flood the market with freebies to try to get their books into stores, etc to sell.

On a side note, I am curious about the very large number of inspections that you claim to have been part off. It just doesn't seem humanly possible.

I'm still waiting to hear what makes you an authority on growing a home inspection business.

Marketing home warranties and having brochures in an office is nothing like growing a home inspection business. We can't give kickbacks to agents for using our services.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Nathan,
    It appears that you might have a great book there, based on the people that contributed to it. I would be happy to read it, and write a review. However, I am not interested in buying the book, or even paying postage. If you want to send me a copy, I would be happy to write a review.

I have three inspection related books on my bookshelf that the authors sent to me, for free. In fact most authors (and agents) flood the market with freebies to try to get their books into stores, etc to sell.

On a side note, I am curious about the very large number of inspections that you claim to have been part off. It just doesn't seem humanly possible.
    It's actually an outdated number- it's more like double that now. This number represents the total number of RecallChek reports, 90-Day Warranties, our Home Inspector Call Center orders, Termite Protection Plans, and Radon Protection Plans we've provided through home inspectors in the U.S. and Canada, mostly in the last 3 years. We're on track to do 40,000-50,000 transactions per month this year, so that number will change even more drastically over the next year or two in all likelihood.

This number excludes the inspections performed by my parents' company during the time I was marketing manager there of course, and it doesn't include our One Year Home Warranty sales either, which we sell in several states and will expand to many more states over the next twelve months.

And none of that would be humanly possible, you're correct, except I have a staff of around 35 amazing people including, most notably to the inspectors who might read this, Bill Gustafson, Mike Doerr, Tim Clark, Cory Spears, Aaron Hall, Dan Sockrider, Adam Fitch, Danelle Smart, and a slew of other people you may never speak to directly but are all here to support home inspectors.

Just an FYI, the book has been purchased/sponsored by my company and others as giveaways at a number of home inspection conventions this season. Are there any you are attending so I can make sure you know where to get a copy?

Nathan,
    Doing a little web browsing I found some interesting, if not conflicting information. Your background info between Linkedin, Facebook and the web page at Anker Consulting seem to conflict with each other. One says you started RWS in 1988, and another says May 2000. RWS Inspect started in 2002. You were in prep school until 2000.

I think Scott was spot on when he said your bio was a tad overinflated. I also think he was being kind, because he didn't say what a lot of us are thinking.

I will be at Inspection World in January. I just thought you were wanting to get reviews sooner than that. I promise that if you send me the book, you will have a review posted within 48 hours.

Don't get me wrong...while I think your bio is overinflated, that would have no bearing on what I think about the book. I read Wally Conway's book and thought it was great. Send me a private e-mail and I will give you my address.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear what makes you an authority on growing a home inspection business.

Marketing home warranties and having brochures in an office is nothing like growing a home inspection business. We can't give kickbacks to agents for using our services.
    No matter what I put down as my experience level, you will undoubtedly treat it just as fairly as you've treated everything else I've said, and no one reading your posts thinks you are reasonable in your approach. After I post at least one website with my bio on it, the only response was from you and one other dude saying it was overblown or untrue- even though it was posted on a major Inspection Organization's website, and yes one that background checks their speakers before they offer them compensation to speak to their membership. In fact I'd wanted to speak at InspectionWorld for YEARS before I got the call from Bill Lewis and I can't tell you what an honor it is. I'm stoked.

Marketing home warranties is incredibly similar to marketing home inspections, and I know sir because before I ever sold a home warranty I sold inspections. In fact, I sold a LOT of inspections thank you very much- and if you want to tell everyone reading this thread precisely how many inspections you did in 2002 I will be happy to post my number as well and then let you discredit me once again (why not?)... I even typed inspections before inspection software was readily available, I took inspection orders, I handled complaints...but I'm not going to go through my entire bio here for you to criticize Ken. After all, I'm the one who has personally sold inspection services and home warranties, successfully, and the marketing is very similar- but you say it's "nothing like growing a home inspection business." The difference is that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about but you keep saying things...is it that you have it out for me or do you always talk about things you know nothing about?

For anyone interested, more reviews have come in today...an update for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Nathan,
    Doing a little web browsing I found some interesting, if not conflicting information. Your background info between Linkedin, Facebook and the web page at Anker Consulting seem to conflict with each other. One says you started RWS in 1988, and another says May 2000. RWS Inspect started in 2002. You were in prep school until 2000.

I think Scott was spot on when he said your bio was a tad overinflated. I also think he was being kind, because he didn't say what a lot of us are thinking.

I will be at Inspection World in January. I just thought you were wanting to get reviews sooner than that. I promise that if you send me the book, you will have a review posted within 48 hours.

Don't get me wrong...while I think your bio is overinflated, that would have no bearing on what I think about the book. I read Wally Conway's book and thought it was great. Send me a private e-mail and I will give you my address.
    I can't control all the posts out there- but nothing there is a conflict really except for the 1988 number. Residential Warranty Services, Inc. was founded in 1988, I took it over in 2000 within a month of graduating from Brebeuf. The Anker Consulting Group was an advisory position only, and did not detract from anything else I was doing.

I'll make sure you get a copy, it of course has more information than you need on this topic!

No matter what I put down as my experience level, you will undoubtedly treat it just as fairly as you've treated everything else I've said, and no one reading your posts thinks you are reasonable in your approach. After I post at least one website with my bio on it, the only response was from you and one other dude saying it was overblown or untrue-
    I think you must have me confused with some other "dude". I haven't said your background was overblown or untrue. I asked what your background was growing your own inspection company. And, you still haven't answered that question.

Marketing home warranties is incredibly similar to marketing home inspections, and I know sir because before I ever sold a home warranty I sold inspections. In fact, I sold a LOT of inspections thank you very much-
    Now, we're getting somewhere. What company did you market inspections for? How long did you do it? What were their yearly numbers prior to your marketing and after...this is the information needed to validate your expertise.

and if you want to tell everyone reading this thread precisely how many inspections you did in 2002
    Sure, 2002 was my first year as an inspector. I did 406 inspections that year, but that was only a partial year. How many inspections did you personally perform that year?

I will be happy to post my number as well and then let you discredit me once again (why not?)... I even typed inspections before inspection software was readily available, I took inspection orders, I handled complaints...but I'm not going to go through my entire bio here for you to criticize Ken.
    Again, you have the wrong "dude". I haven't criticized your bio. Only wanted to know your experience in growing an inspection business.

After all, I'm the one who has personally sold inspection services and home warranties, successfully, and the marketing is very similar- but you say it's "nothing like growing a home inspection business." The difference is that you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about but you keep saying things...is it that you have it out for me or do you always talk about things you know nothing about?
    It's interesting that you chastise me for criticizing your bio, (which I haven't done) then tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to marketing inspections and home warranties. Yet you have no clue what my bio is. You have no clue that I worked several years for those companies doing 40,000 inspections a year. You have no clue that I was responsible for not only hiring the inspectors and training them, but also hiring the warranty reps, training them, introducing them to the local brokers and pretty much all the bs you're doing.

Marketing warranties is nothing like marketing inspections. Not with RESPA and inspection association ethics. With the latest Respa ruling we could kick back a payment to the agents who ordered the warranty for a "minimum" service performed. It's much easier to have an agent order a home warranty for their client when they're pocketing $100 for writing down some serial numbers. Try giving them $100 for ordering a home inspection and ASHI would kick the inspector out due to the ethics violation. I can't say what Nachi would do because I'm not associated with them. So, please don't say that marketing warranties and inspections are the same because they're not. The rules are different for each.

Ken- you must be confusing yourself with the owner of BPG. If you were the owner of BPG, then maybe you could take credit for all of that, which I was perfectly aware of by the way. How's your career with BPG going, Ken?

I knew your response would be ridiculous, and I've actually had an inspector email me an apology for this thread...and yes, you can try to separate yourself from your responses and reactions to others post but you're really just playing games.

2002 was your first year? Wow, that was my 3rd year full time as a marketing manager for a firm that I took from 5,000 appointments per year all the way to 7,000 in that year- 2002- before I determined that I couldnt promote both the Inspections and the warranties and get where I wanted to be. Of course that doesn't include all the child labor my parents got out of me starting when I was thirteen years old typing reports and taking orders and eventually creating much of the system they used in Filemaker 3.0 to run their business.

It was an incredible experience working with true business people- and what laid the foundation for the rest of my career- which is longer than yours in real estate and involves exponentially more transactions. But I'm sure you'll have more ridiculous comments on this topic I can ignore...

P.S. Nobody else need apologize for Mr. Rowe. Every time he posts something about me I get more visitors to my site! Thanks Ken!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast