Default Welded pipe residential framing

Does anyone know of a standard for welded pipe framing construction of residential buildings? Inspected a home built out in the country that was constructed like a typical south Texas pole barn; likely using reclaimed oil field tubing (already warned the client about the possibility of NORM if reclaimed tubing). Didn't get real good pics of the structure in the attic, but might be enough here to give you a sense of it.

Thanks,
    Marc

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Welded pipe residential framing

Here's my theory, anyway. It is an old workshop or truck garage that has been converted into a residence. That's the only logical reason for it to exist at all.
    It is similar to a converted barn, if that's the case.

I think you could use the standards as a guideline for what is safe and acceptable for a living space, such as electrical safety and stair construction.

The clients could check to see if permits were ever taken out for that property.

They are missing insulation and they got rodents in there. Grounding of the steel frame should be checked by an electrician .

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Welded pipe residential framing

That's really all I could do with it.
    Electrical, HVAC, exterior stucco, and plumbing all had their own host of issues.
    The building was actually built as a residence from the beginning. I'm sure no permitting was done as it is away from any municipality; engineering is doubtful as well. In this part of the country there is a lot of creative DIY.
    Thanks for your input.