Charles Cole Guest

Question Code Certification

Just for my own benefit, I was researching what options are out there for code certifications. I have gone out to ICC for books and FAQ's, but I was wondering from yall what other options maybe available that I may have missed? I was looking for some class room options specifically designed for code certs, but have not found any. I am in San antonio, Texas.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Code Certification

ICC offers an online course that many folks take.

To pass the code exams, you don't have to know the codes in so much as how to look them up in the book. They are open book exams and they do have a high pass ratio. Keep in mind that ICC wants you to pass so that you can join them and keep paying their annual dues.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I agree with Scott in that the ICC exams are far easier than either the NHIE or CREIA entry level exams are. If you know where the codes are located (in the code book) and have a good general basic understanding of the IRC it should be a piece of cake IMHO.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Dumb question, but does the ICC certify you in the IRC, or are they separate organizations. We mainly use 2003 IRC here, which would be the one I wouldn't mind getting certified in, although I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference if I had to take the 2006 IRC.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Dumb question, but does the ICC certify you in the IRC, or are they separate organizations. We mainly use 2003 IRC here, which would be the one I wouldn't mind getting certified in, although I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference if I had to take the 2006 IRC.
    I believe that it is considered a certificate program. You receive a certificate that you passed the xxxxx exam, this certifies that you are ICC certified in that domain.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    ICC offers an online course that many folks take.

To pass the code exams, you don't have to know the codes in so much as how to look them up in the book. They are open book exams and they do have a high pass ratio. Keep in mind that ICC wants you to pass so that you can join them and keep paying their annual dues.

Sounds like my kind of test, easy to pass with an open book. I have the Code Check books for Electrical, Building and Plumbing and they are pretty easy to interpret. But for the record, how do you find out what is used in your area as the standard.?

Richard Rushing Guest

Don,

Code Check will not help you with the ICC tests... you need to have the latest version of the IRC (my latest is the IRC 2003) with turbo tabs and be familiar with the layout as to where to find the different building, structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing components.

Cool Re: Code Certification

Jim
    I believe their testing to the 2006 IRC currently and if you take the IRC exam, and there's 4 exams, and if you pass all of them you become certified as an ICC Combination Residential Dwelling Inspector. If you only take the building exam you would get the ICC Residential Dwelling Building Inspector ticket and so on, but you must take and pass all 4 exams to get the Combination ticket. Go to the ICC web site, check certifications as they can explain it all a lot better than I can.

Jerry McCarthy

Richard Rushing Guest

I believe Jerry is right-- it is the 2006 IRC. Here is a link for you to go to and get more information regarding the Combination Inspector.

ICC Online | Certification & Testing

rr

Got it. Thanks for the help. I'll check on their stuff this fall and winter when I get slow.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Phil Harvey Guest

Looking for advice on taking the ICC residential electrical, plumbing, mechanical and building certification tests. I just joined as a student member and received the IRC 1 & 2 family Dwellings book and plan on ordering the turbo-tabs, flashcards and the study companion.

Any advice on studying for or taking the tests?
    Are there any in-residence courses available?
    I can’t take an in-residence class course at this time as I am working on a construction management degree and some other courses to take.

Phil Harvey

Phil
    Check your local community college offerings, look under building inspection technology and/or construction technology, etc. Many offer bldg. code classes, which are a great aid in preparing for the ICC exams as most of the instructors are either active or retired jurisdictional inspectors.
    Get the IRC Study Companions Vols 1 & 2 and IRC Fundamentals book. The flash cards are also excellent for study and even though the test is an open book you will not have enough time to look up all the questions so you need to go in with some basic code knowledge. Learn to read the span tables and remember, the index will become your best friend when in a hurry trying to locate a code section.

Jerry McCarthy

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Cole View Post
    Just for my own benefit, I was researching what options are out there for code certifications. I have gone out to ICC for books and FAQ's, but I was wondering from yall what other options maybe available that I may have missed? I was looking for some class room options specifically designed for code certs, but have not found any. I am in San antonio, Texas.

Check this out.

Richard Rushing Guest

Free advertising is verbotten!!!

You knew that...