Default Hilarious way to book an inspection

Honestly this just happened today. I wish I could draw because this would make a great cartoon. Below is an email exchange between me and a regularly referring agent and another inspection company.
    AGENT to ME:

I have a client buyer a short-sale. We were required to agree to do inspection up front. The listing agent has offered that she has an inspector who will “do the next one free” if the short-sale is not approved.

My clients like this, but I don’t want to use some random inspector that the listing agent recommends.

Would you consider extending this same offer to my clients?

Let me know if you have any questions about the specifics.
    ME to AGENT:

Unfortunately the American Society of Home Inspectors has deemed that practice as unethical. We can’t determine price or payment on whether the home closes or not, or offer free inspections if the sale doesn’t close.

Between you and I, the other inspector is probably not an ASHI Certified Inspector and isn’t held to the higher ethical standards which ASHI has.
    AGENT to ME:

Thanks for this info!

AGENT to OTHER INSPECTION COMPANY

Hi,

I’ve never used you before, but you’ve been recommended in the case of a short-sale. I just want to know about your qualifications before I recommend you to my clients. What are your accreditations?
    OTHER INSPECTION COMPANY TO AGENT:

I appreciate the email, but my inspector just quit, so I cannot take any orders for now.

AGENT TO ME, COPYING EMAIL:

Well there you go…

ME TO AGENT:

Taking a look at their website I see no certifications or association memberships at all. These people are the reason why we need inspector licensing in MN.

On another note, I'm not quitting any time soon

Give us a call if you need to set something up. We're open except for Tuesday morning.
    AGENT TO ME:

I just sent an email to Heather . We’re looking at Tuesday at 3pm. In S. Minneapolis.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Default Re: Hilarious way to book an inspection

me to agent, my price just went up

So, your bottom line here is.... your ethics change (price increase) with circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Honestly this just happened today. I wish I could draw because this would make a great cartoon. Below is an email exchange between me and a regularly referring agent and another inspection company.
    Did you get what you replied from one of the chapters in Nathans book ??

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Did you get what you replied from one of the chapters in Nathans book ??
    I think that's where the other inspection company got their marketing ideas.

Speaking of Nathan (and his cheering section)--been pretty quiet lately. Maybe he/they have been too busy mailing out thousands of copies of his book for "free" reviews? I'll keep watching the mailbox.

I hope he isn't taking anything from here too seriously. After all, he is just a guy trying to make an honest living, right?

Between you and I
    Really?

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

It is funny..... but just because an inspector is an ASHI inspector doesn't mean he is always taking the ethical high road. The other inspector could very well be an ASHI inspector too who just chooses to make up his own rules and guidelines.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

The other inspector could very well be an ASHI inspector too who just chooses to make up his own rules and guidelines.
    That, of course, would make him an ASHI national officer.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Question
    Is giving out free home inspections against ASHI Code of Ethics?
    Response
    The Code of Ethics does not directly address fees, or their absence, and does not limit discounting, even 100% discounting. However, a free home inspection and report must comply with the ASHI Standards of Practice, without diminished thoroughness or quality, and must not involve arrangements that otherwise violate the ASHI Code of Ethics.

See interpretation e010814 regarding discounts.

Raymond,

The interpretation you references doesn't really fit. This one is much more pertinent:

ID : #18, e060426

Date : 09/13/2006

R. F. I. Question :

Can I bill the inspection fee to be paid upon closing of the inspected property for sale, if I have a contract stating that I will be paid in any case should the closing be cancelled for any reason?

Interpretation by ASHI Standards Committee :

The Code of Ethics states that "Inspectors shall not inspect properties under contingent arrangements whereby any compensation or future referrals are dependent on reported findings or on the sale of a property." Since your contract states, as we understand it, that you will be paid whether the house closes or not, your inspection is not contingent on the sale and we see no violation of the Code.
    Since the second inspection and fee is based on whether or not the home closes after the first inspection this interpretation should apply. Granted this is a gray area and the interpretation does not address this situation specifically, I don't operate in gray areas when it comes to ethics.

Anyhow, people seem to be missing the point:
    I appreciate the email, but my inspector just quit, so I cannot take any orders for now.
    Probably due to the company requiring the inspector to work for free when doing those second inspections.

Thanks Ken, didn't see that one.

Also could not find - See interpretation e010814 regarding discounts - in my original posting.

Cheers,

Another way to look at the free offer.

A poor inspection on the first property (not pointing out items to buyer) and thus having the buyer be more aggressive in purchasing the first property, leading to a sale would mean that the HI would not loose time and money on performing an inspection on a second property.

The inspector would be biased in how he reported on the first property.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Or he would do a real crappy job on the second one because he's not getting paid for it.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Darrel Hood Guest

Or, he's an honest and thorough person who does his best at every inspection no matter what the circumstances. If a person is depending on an organization or government entity to define ethics, that person is weak and has no values.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Or, he's an honest and thorough person who does his best at every inspection no matter what the circumstances. If a person is depending on an organization or government entity to define ethics, that person is weak and has no values.
    So you have a 1 in 3 chance of being better off. or a 2 to 1 chance to loose. All things being equal.

Smile Re: Hilarious way to book an inspection

Ask the Realtor if their next sale is free....

Keep the fire in the fireplace.