Ken Larson Guest

Unhappy Tramex Moisture Meter Died!

Anyone know what the warranty for the Tramex Moisture Encounter Plus is? I tried the website, they don't seem to list what warranties their products have. Mine is about 3 yrs old, it lights up, but the meter won't budge even when placed on a metal or wet surface.

Tried all 3 Scales.....nada! New batteries installed and the Lights all work but nothing else. Drats!

Tried to email Tramex several days ago, no response.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Tramex Moisture Meter Died!

Ken,

Mine crashed a few months ago too. Since I use it on a regular basis I couldn't wait dealing with the company over it so I ran out to Graingers and pick up one there. Only cost 300. and works better than the other one. Smaller in size also makes it easier to carry around.

rick

Rick - Did you get another Tramex at Grainger, or what?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Not a Tramex, I bought another one they carry. Its only about the size of a small digital camera.

rick

Ken Larson Guest

I've checked professional equipment.com and may switch to the Surveymaster by Protimeter. Anyone have experience with this model?

Last time I needed repairs for a Tramex I sent it to a guy in Littleton, CO. Black Hawk....guys name was Dennis. Repairs were very affordable, he does or did all of their warranty work in the states.

TRAMEX
    SALES & SERVICE
    c/o Black Hawk Sales Inc.,
    28 Pin Oak Drive,
    Littleton, CO 80127

Tel: 303 972 7926

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 09-25-2007 at 06:00 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ken Larson Guest

Thanks for that info Scott. I will do that, and keep the Tramex as a backup once repaired. But, will need another moisture meter ASAP. Can't hurt having an extra.

Anyone familiar with the Surveymaster?

I've got a surveymaster. To tell you the truth I'm not that impressed. It works okay on the relative moisture, but when I try to use it on pin mode, a lot of times it won't give me a reading at all. It always seems to be when the wood is dry, so maybe there is some minimum moisture content that is needed, but nothing in their directions indicates that. Don't spend any money on the DVD. It's pretty worthless. If you want mine I can send it to you.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Not a Tramex, I bought another one they carry. .... rick
    Rick,

What is the make/model of the meter you got at Graingers?

Nolan,

Try this link.

Grainger Industrial Supply: Digital Moisture Meter, 0-60 Pct 1VXT2

So far I've had no false tests. Everyone that has opened up a wall that this tester showed moisture as being present, the moisture problem was evident.

rick

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Rick,

Tnx much.

Nolan K.

FWIW, I own a Tramex Moisture Encounter and the dual mode Surveymaster, and often use use both during the same inspection.

I've not had problems with the pin mode on the Survermaster, and find the supplied pin extension cable *very* handy for getting into tight spots like beam pockets and when I have to take readings at arms length (for example, out on rafter tails) and need to probe around while observing the readings. In the sub-surface mode it's the better choice in situations where the Tramex readings may be affected by surface moisture (for example a ceramic tile floor around a toilet).

Where the Tramex really shines is for rapidly scanning large areas of gypsum board or surface-dry ceramic tile for sub-surface moisture, I find the analog scale far superior to a digital readout when attempting to establishing moisture *gradients* to help trace a problem back to its source.