Thread: Vent Tee

Joe Nernberg Guest

Thumbs down Vent Tee

Okay sleuths. Here is a photo of a vent tee that combines furnace and water heater venting at the garage. It appears to have been (1) installed upside down, and (2) cut/modified/altered contrary to manufacturer specifications.

As I stare at the photo a little longer, I think it may be just a sleeve and there is no defect at all. The house was built in 1999 and probably looked this way when the builder got his C of O. What's your opinion?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Tim Moreira Guest

Default Re: Vent Tee

I agree on the sleeve part, but why would you need one?

Never saw that before.

It looks like someone has cut a "B" vent pipe to insert the "tee". Any modification of a "B" vent is a red flag. What is stopping the flue gas from rolling back down and out the bottom of that sleeve? Nothing from what I can see.

I would call it out as being an improper vent connection. It does not matter that it was that way when the builder got his CO on the home.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Angry I'm Tee'd off

Bingo Scott! This is a major hack job. Did a Vega-matic on the B-vent because they were too cheap/ stupid to get the proper B-vent tee and manifold them together. That section of B-vent along with this abortion of piping must be replaced.

I would take this photo to the building dept. and ask them what they thnk of it. If they state it is ok, hit them on the noggin with the photo. The only way someone with any clue whatsoever could pass this is if they were living in this home and were stoned from the CO fumes. A really dangerous situation.

After you discuss this with them, them pose this question: So, having seen this attempt at manslaughter, how many other similar jobs do you think this tech did in your jurisdiction?

This really ticks me off. Can you tell?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Bob,

You'll be more upset when you see these.

Someone had told the seller the WH flue needed to be strapped when they bought the home 12 years ago, so her husband repaired it himself.

And then there was the furnace flue terminating in the attic.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Dang, Rick! You kept that guy from qualifying for the Darwin Awards. Shame on you!

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Angry Re: Vent free

They should'a woke up dead. Unreal how much of this insanity there is out there.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Thumbs down Re: Vent Tee

Any vent,chimney or connector piping into which an exhauster discharges must be rated and approved for positive pressure and properly installed to prevent leakage of exhaust gases. For example, Type B vents cannot be used on the outlet side of an exhauster or powered vented appliance. as B vents cannot be sealed

ok what I am wondering is this. did they use the b vent pipe as a liner to go thru the ceiling there and not have it continue further on. what we don't see is the otherside. needs further investigation would be my suggestion.

Double wall, using the outer wall as a sleeve? I be just a sparky however.

Scott nailed it.