Default is this a zinsco -sylvania breaker-panel

hey guys

came across this today and first time i have seen the red and blue breakers that were not the sylvania brand--these breakers said MURRAY--is that still a product of the bad guys--also found difFerent brand breakers in paneL--is this allowed

DOING REPORT NOW

THANKS

CVF

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Gerry Bennett Guest

Default Re: is this a zinsco -sylvania breaker-panel

I don't think I ever saw a zinsco slyvania, but I have seen plenty of Murray panels. You can still get Murray breakers, even in Depot. They are not color coded any more. Blue was 15amp, red 20, green 30, and I think grey was 40. Don't know after that. As to the other brands in there they are probably not listed for that panel.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    hey guys

came across this today and first time i have seen the red and blue breakers that were not the sylvania brand--these breakers said MURRAY--is that still a product of the bad guys--also found difFerent brand breakers in paneL--is this allowed

DOING REPORT NOW

THANKS

CVF
    No, they are not the same.. Sylvania-Zinsco throw handles are in the opposite direction so it makes it almost impossible to remove the dead font without turning te breakers off.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jeffrey Maul Guest

There's nothing wrong with Murray breakers but I's be concerned with the total number of half-size/double breakers in this particular panel and whether this panel is designed to accept double breakers. The bus in some panels will not accept double breakers which need a notch in the buss. Some not-so reputable installers will break the slot in breaker to opened it up (with pliers). I'd remove one and see if anyone tampered with it.
    If not there still may be a limit to the number of double breakers specified by the manufacturer.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No to the title question, and Yes other brands are allowed.

Label, marking, or information & diagram in pocket:

For example (FYI "W" in circle stands for Westinghouse, and Murray is now Siemens IIRC, successor companies also for some other brands mentioned in following) Main issue to verify ratings for svc. equip panel are met by replacement breakers installed within, and that the EPs are only installed where the panel diagram indicates they are permitted; and the old 10 amp rule per pole on bus stab by vintage of ol' listing standard rules regardless of load calcs).:

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.