Default DIYers in Salem--water line regulator, exploding flexible line, WHAT to do?

Hello, Folks, we're new to manufactured home maintenance, and can't find a plumber whom we can afford who will work on our plumbing in our home. For the 4th time in 4 years, water lines (yes, multiple simultaneously) are bursting under our home and in our garage. We very recently purchased this house after renting for 4 years; Landlord sent "plumber" each time we called. Now that we are taking over the property, we need to know where to find a list of what manufactured homes should have and how to implement such. Is there a home inspector whom we could call; are home inspectors expert in mobile and manufactured homes? We'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks, all, for your time and effort on our behalf.

I never knew such a website existed! Thanks InspectionNews, you
    re the bees' knees!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: DIYers in Salem--water line regulator, exploding flexible line, WHAT to do?

If the plumbing is grey plastic, it is polybutylene and probably all needs to be replaced. Have you determined what the water pressure is? If over 80PSI you should install a regulator on the main line.

END GLOBAL WHINING

Default Re: DIYers in Salem--water line regulator, exploding flexible line, WHAT to do?

Manufactured homes usually have similar systems but with cheaper components. If you have pipes bursting it could be PB pipe like Benjamin noted or the water pressure is too high.

Most experienced home inspectors could give you some direction.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Private water supply (pump/well)?
    Pressure tank?
    Storage type water heater? Conditon? TPRV? Expansion Tank?

What water lines or systems are in Garage(detached?) for the manufactured home?

............more info. required. As mentioned above, is it gray flexible pipe? Is the pipe itself bursting, or is it the fittings/connectors?...........Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    ............more info. required.
    What is the pressure? Benjamin mentioned 80 psi, however, 80 psi is the *maximum* pressure allowed. You may want to keep the pressure well below 80 psi, maybe down around 60 psi.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: DIYers in Salem--water line regulator, exploding flexible line, WHAT to do?

Thank you all for your replies and comments. We picked up a Watts H2O pressure regulator this morning; have a guy coming out to install and make sure it's set at pkg. spec. (50) and move it up to @ 60, as suggested, to get H2O moving for tasks; I will call the city water co. and ask for static pressure, just in case. I suspect it's through the roof.

We have city water; the tubing under the house IS that gray stuff (replaced in spots with white); galvanized pipes into the (later attached) garage, which is farthest from where our H2O comes in.

My husband & I can't get up under the house any more like several years ago, and are depending on our son to "watch" what goes on under the house when the handyman is installing the pressure regulator and replacing pipeling. He sure could use some signs to watch for. He'll be taking his SmartPhone under the house with him and get some clicks of the pipeline's makeup & attachments for us to look at.

If it were't for helpful people such as yourselves, we'd be cooked! Thank you for lending your knowledge!!!!!

Smile Re: DIYers in Salem--water line regulator, exploding flexible line, WHAT to do?

Sorry, Good Helpers, I forgot to address all the requests for info!
    **PB all under house
    **galvanized pipe into garage (added to manuf. home @ later date, abuts home)----------
    **connectors slipped off in the past & pipes burst, starting with a pinhole
    **storage type water heater (yellow valve on it, too) 4 yrs. old
    **city water
    **don't know what these are: TPRV? Expansion Tank?; TPRV?;

Thanks to all you folks who took/are taking your time to share your expertise on our family's behalf!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Lafferty View Post
    I will call the city water co. and ask for static pressure, just in case. I suspect it's through the roof.
    Go to a Big Box store, or even any hardware store, and you should be able to buy a small pressure gage:
    (in alphabetical order of where they are sold)
    - Campbell PG1T Pressure Gauge 1/4" Fp - 0-100 Psi 2"
    - 100 psi Pressure Gauge-TC2104 at The Home Depot
    - Shop WaterMaster 200-lb. Pressure Gauge at Lowes.com

Here is a better one as it is liquid filled - all of the above probably have this type too (not that you would need this one for your use, and not that it is that expensive anyway): Water Pressure Gauge 0-160psi Liquid Filled w/ Garden Hose Adapter - FreshWaterSystems.com

Simply attach to any exterior hose bibb, turn the hose bibb on, and read the pressure, it is that easy.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com