Default phase 1 enviromental inspections

I was contacted to day by ESA about getting training to do phase 1 enviromental inspections.

Anybody doing them? Any warnings or suggestions?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: phase 1 enviromental inspections

I've had them done as part of the development process that had gov't money involved. It was more of a records check to determine what may have been located on the site (gas stations, industrial activity) that might have involved fuel storage or chemical use. Plus a field visit to look for what is, and might have been there. Any steel drums stacked or dumped, that sort of thing. It was done by an engineering firm.

As an inspector, I'd have no problem doing the field side of a Phase I, but the rest would be out of my comfort zone. Can't imagine the liability involved.

I do remember,now that I think about it, having someone ask me about doing a Phase I on a SF home purchase. I think someone was being very confused.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

Only experience I had was selling a commercial property and the buyer wanted a phase 1, we split the cost. I was amazed at how easy it must have been to put that (computer generated) report together for $1400. I think it would be a very lucrative business.

END GLOBAL WHINING

ASTM wrote the Standards. I would recommend training through them:
    ASTM International - Training Courses - ASTM Phase I & Phase II Environmental Site Assessment Processes

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Penn View Post
    I was contacted to day by ESA about getting training to do phase 1 enviromental inspections.

Anybody doing them? Any warnings or suggestions?

Thanks.
    And ESA makes its money selling education classes!

Unless you are doing a good amount of commercial work and or site analysis work for lenders I would not do it. How many calls a month do you get for Phase I inspections?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Good morning, Bill –

While I would necessarily agree that a Phase I is simply a records check, historical records are certainly a big part of the process. We no longer do Phase Is on a routine basis because there are companies out there that do nothing but Phase Is (and do them quite well). As such, they have streamlined the process and can do the work for less money than we can. Having said that, we will do the unusual ones (sites with radiological, biological, agent, or drugs).

Linas is correct we do have several ASTM Standards applicable to Phase I assessments, and ASTM provides training on those standard practices. However, the ASTM Standards are not to be considered all inclusive, and site assessments should be considered to be dynamic and the needs dictated by the client and the site itself.

Cheers

CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc. - Home

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Yes, there are a lot of companies that do only Phase I ESA. There is a lot more liability with a commercial Phase I than a home inspection. You would need to have good insurance.

Stephen Masek Guest

Phase I reports need to be reviewed and signed by someone who is an Environmental professional, as defined in the ASTM standard, and in EPA AAI regulation: Such a person must:

(i) hold a current Professional Engineer’s or Professional Geologist’s license or registration from a state, tribe, or U.S. territory (or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico) and have the equivalent of three (3) years of full-time relevant experience;

or

(ii) be licensed or certified by the federal government, a state, tribe, or U.S. territory (or the commonwealth of Puerto Rico) to perform environmental inquiries as defined in §312.21 and have the equivalent of three (3) years of full-time relevant experience;

or

(iii) have a Baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a discipline of engineering or science and the equivalent of five (5) years of full-time relevant experience; or (iv) have the equivalent of ten (10) years of full-time relevant experience.