Randy Funk Guest

Default Boise Idaho Checking In

Hey guys, I have read this forum on and off for months now. I'm excited to join up and share stories and info. *My first question is this...Is there a marked difference with inspectors that are ASHI, NAHI, etc certified and those who choose to not join these groups? I have heard some nightmare stories from clients who use ASHI inspectors as well as with inspectors who are not affiliated at all. Just curious if these groups make a difference or if it's simply a group to belong to and use their logo for promotional reasons. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Boise Idaho Checking In

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Funk View Post
    Hey guys, I have read this forum on and off for months now. I'm excited to join up and share stories and info. *My first question is this...Is there a marked difference with inspectors that are ASHI, NAHI, etc certified and those who choose to not join these groups? I have heard some nightmare stories from clients who use ASHI inspectors as well as with inspectors who are not affiliated at all. Just curious if these groups make a difference or if it's simply a group to belong to and use their logo for promotional reasons. Thanks!
    Welcome Randy...
    Just do a search on the organization. The association does not make the individual inspector good or bad. You need to find a group/chapter near you that you like.

More experienced inspectors tend to belong to ASHI and ASHI is the only home inspector association that has a third party certification for their certified inspector program. If you are looking for an instant certification so you can call yourself a "Certified Inspector", ASHI is not the group for you. On the average it will take a person about 2 years to become an ASHI ACI (Certified Inspector).

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Randy Funk Guest

Thanks Scott! Actually no, I am not looking to join any of these groups. I was just curious what people thought about them. I obtained my 203K certification which was difficult enough after all of the submittals years ago to get that done. Our ASHI guys here in Boise have fair reputation overall so the ASHI certification in this area is kinda tarnished so to speak. Many good inspectors but some have ruined the name over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Funk View Post
    Our ASHI guys here in Boise have fair reputation overall so the ASHI certification in this area is kinda tarnished so to speak. Many good inspectors but some have ruined the name over the years.
    OK I have to ask ..I constantly see posts on this and other chat boards stating ASHI guys have a tendicy to screw things up. How does one detemine if an inspector is bad from one association or another?

Over the years iv'e heard realtors state this inspector was bad or screwed up. I've never heard what association he/she belonged too, not to mention I never knew or asked who the inspector was.

Looking at valid complaints that were filed by home buyers at the state AZ Lic. site, it's looks like it's split evenly between members of the different associations, and most of the inspectors didn't belong to any association.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Randy Funk Guest

Dan, good question. I was simply using ASHI as an example. Being relatively small here in Boise, all the inspectors pretty much know each other and when you hear a name you know if they are with a group or not. My feeling is that regardless of what association you belong to if any at all...if that inspector is not on his/her game during any given inspection mistakes can happen. The association doesn't save you from these mistakes and unfortunately realtor are always quick to spread the word about what their inspector missed. Thank God I haven't had any real issues / complaints in many years.