Default Metal Roof and rubber roof on residential house.

I have never seen this before, it looks like the fabric white batten strips are all coming off the ridge seam on the metal roof. Not sure the batten strips are sealing anything as the roof does not leak, unless is does, but whatever is under the metal is keeping the water from getting in. I think there is a gasket seal on the ridge joint of each metal section but don't know for sure. Anyone ever see a roof like this one? They also used a rubber roof to seal around the fire place and around the cricket in front of the fire place. Roof is about a 2/12 pitch maybe 3. I think it is disfunctional and needs the advice of a professional commercial metal roof installer if it can be repaired or replaced.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Default Re: Metal Roof and rubber roof on residential house.

This looks like either something went wrong in the installation - either they did not secure the seams properly and they leaked, or they were missing a component. There are several styles of standing seam, and none need the extra strips your pictures show. This is a bit of a mess...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Never seen anything like it.

I would forgo the professional roofer to assess and call for complete replacement asap. Leakage probability high. Implications - water entry to attic and living spaces, wood rot, mould, content damage.

It is pretty though. I like the contrasting colours.

Definitely unorthodox. 2 in 12 is too low for standing seam. I suspect the unorthodox repair has been effective at stopping leaks, short term. Replace the roof with a permanent solution.

Looks like standing seam and whoever installed it did not have a seam roller to crimp on the metal caps, so they used the rubber instead.

Standing seam can be used down to a fairly low slope whereas other metal panel configuration (5-V crimp, corrugated, and similar panels require at least a 4:12 slope). Flat soldered seam roofs can, as I recall, be used on flat roofs.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks everyone for your reply, I appreciate it.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa