Michael Sloane Guest

Default Helpers/Secondary Inspector

I've got a question for you guys that use helpers or bring in a second inspector in for a big jobs or what not. How do you break down the fee between the two?

I'm guessing a helper (non-licensed) would just be paid an hourly wage, but what if the other person is a licensed inspector also? Flat fee? Percentage?

I mean, the primary inspector's marketing got the initial contact and signed the job, and ultimately they will be responsible for the report findings and so on, but the secondary is just as qualified.

Any thought or ideas?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Helpers/Secondary Inspector

I've have a licensed inspector that I usually split the fee with on a 60/40 basis.

Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

In our state we can only use a licensed H.I. as an assistant. An inspection company in the area got nailed a couple of years ago for using an unlicensed helper on their jobs.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Michael Sloane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    In our state we can only use a licensed H.I. as an assistant. An inspection company in the area got nailed a couple of years ago for using an unlicensed helper on their jobs.
    We are both licensed. My best friend and I help each other out when needed, and were trying to come up with the split ratio, so I was curious if there was a "norm" for it.

Bill Parrish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    How'd they get caught? And, since they did get caught, it's public knowledge, so what company?

Last edited by Bill Parrish; 09-28-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: a

Our company has historically been on something around a 50/50 split. Meaning the guy(s) in the field get 50% and 50% goes to company for overhead and administration.

As an owner I pay myself the same wage while in the field as the other guys. So, if we do a 20 unit apartment and both put in equal hours and the fee is $2000 we each get $500.

I'd say the main thing is to separate out your overhead costs so you know what each job is really costing you. If you give a guy helping in the field more than about 30% of the total fee (assuming you're working the same amount of time alongside him) I think you're giving away the farm.

There's A LOT of overhead that goes into this that a lot of people never calculate.

There's a guy you might have heard of named Brian Hannigan giving a talk on this in Las Vegas in a couple weeks

Or, you can get the info here on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parrish View Post
    How'd they get caught? And, since they did get caught, it's public knowledge, so what company?
    Bill, I am hesitant to name names especially since you don't accept emails from others on this site and I don't find you listed as a licensed inspector and I really don't know who you are. (Sorry, I'm just a cautious kinda guy)

You are right though, it's public information and can be found on the IDFPR website if you'd like to scope it out.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Over the years I have helped other inspectors, sometimes they were injured and could not do everything or they just needed help on a big project. If it involves a friend who might be injured or recovering from an illness I do not go into it to it thinking about how much I will get paid or compensated. I do it to help another inspector or friend in need.

With large projects that I have been asked to help with, I do not bring up any fees or compensation. I just leave the compensation part to the person that I'm helping. I would say that 98% of the time they will ask me what I want in compensation. My normal reply is whatever they think is fair. Honestly with some of the projects I have helped on, it is me that should be paying them for the opportunity to see and work in the places/projects I have assisted on.

I try to pay a fair fee based on the work. If they are just moving the ladder, and simple jobs then they will get less. I would say something in the $25 an hour range. The more work they do, the more they get. If I have them inspecting on their own, writing down their findings and taking photos then I will come real close to a 50/50 split on the fee. I treat them like I would want to be treated.

I cannot see hiring a second person for all of my inspections. I'm a solo inspection company and I want it to remain like that. I will not do more than two inspections a day, and I'm happy with only one a day. If I'm booked I refer the callers to inspectors in our chapter who I know might not be booked up.

If you do not want to refer the calls and you want more business then you should consider hiring a second licensed inspector. Their pay would be based on what you provide them; if your provide their insurance, tools, and you write the reports then I would say a split of around 60/40 (they get the 40%) If they are providing everything and all you are doing is giving them the address and telling them to show up I would say a 25/75 split. If they are also writing the reports I would do a 20/80 split with the inspector getting the 80%.

In my state any helper must also be a licensed home inspector.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 09-29-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com