G Montgomery Guest

Default Help, please! Dangerous wood stove/HVAC DIY!!

I'm a very worried grandmother with a family member who did a DIY wood stove install and he won't listen to me about how dangerous it is. I need to get an inspector out there but am clueless about who to call. The house is in Cobb County, Georgia.

The house is 3 stories, vaulted ceilings and full basement. The wood stove is in the basement, the chimney pipe runs out a boarded up window opening and up the side of the house. The chimney pipe is shorter than the peak of the roof.

But the absolute worst thing is the air returns to the two downstairs HVAC systems. They are inches away from the firebox! There are CO monitors but they are mounted on or near the ceilings and the house is very open so it is likely the air is diffused around them.

Help, please.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Help, please! Dangerous wood stove/HVAC DIY!!

You have reason for concern. Go to Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) | Plainfield, IN and find a certified chimney sweep in the area. Sweeps are a dime a dozen and you want someone who has proven his ability.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by G Montgomery View Post
    I'm a very worried grandmother with a family member who did a DIY wood stove install and he won't listen to me about how dangerous it is. I need to get an inspector out there but am clueless about who to call. The house is in Cobb County, Georgia.

The house is 3 stories, vaulted ceilings and full basement. The wood stove is in the basement, the chimney pipe runs out a boarded up window opening and up the side of the house. The chimney pipe is shorter than the peak of the roof.

But the absolute worst thing is the air returns to the two downstairs HVAC systems. They are inches away from the firebox! There are CO monitors but they are mounted on or near the ceilings and the house is very open so it is likely the air is diffused around them.

Help, please.
    This is the BEST help we can give you, anything else would come AFTER you did this:

FIRST THING MONDAY MORNING:
    - GO HERE: Cobb County Government
    - CONTACT THIS PERSON:
    - - Lee McClead, CBO
    - - Development & Inspections Manager
    - - lmcclead@cobbcounty.org
    - - P.O. Box 649
    - - Marietta, GA 30061

Explain to them what you did to us, they will discuss the virtues of having a permit and inspections and what to do now that it was installed without a permit.

Hopefully your family members will recognize the benefits of you having made that call over the family member who is PI$$ED OFF because you did and the family will still invite you to Thanksgiving Dinner.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bravo to this Grandmother! She puts the safety of her grandkids ahead of the need to spoil them rotten.

I think I saw an example of this same type of Stove and Chimney install on the "Red Green Show"...Or was it "Home Improvement"?
    Must admit this guy is handy...The anchorage of the swingset to the side of the house is also interesting (outside pic).

That is some creative work........but Jerry Peck's advice is the best. Even a qualified contractor might not get through to a hard headed relative, but a county inspector can force the guy to do the right thing.

Michael Gregory Guest

This can't be real. This has to be photo shop kind of thing. I've seen a lot of hookey stuff (even done some), but can't imagine anything even remotely close to this.

Quote Originally Posted by .
    ..The anchorage of the swingset to the side of the house is also interesting (outside pic).
    Agree, seems to me code would require tempered glass in the window adjoining the swings

Is that a clock on the exterior wall? How does he change the time? I'm guessing he hangs out from the window above?

G Montgomery Guest

Mr Peck thank you so much!! That was exactly the specific kind of information I needed.

I'm contacting a chimney professional anyway because of the creosote dripping down the stones of the chimney from his other stove install in a fireplace. (Creosote flakes on porch at least 6 times- 6 chimney fires?!?!) I'll make sure Lee McLead checks that one out, too.

I wish with all my heart it was photo-shopped.

Hadn't thought about the tempered glass. I have a friend who is one of Atlanta's top window tinters and he has spoken about a type of window film that can be added that provides the safety of tempered glass. The 2 swings close to the window are little kid strap-in swings so there has always been an adult there pushing. But later that will be an issue. Thanks.

I've finally made enough noise that I have gotten other relatives behind me, too.

Y'all are awesome!!

(Clock on wall is for pool and yeah he reaches it from window.)

Looking the the picture of the outside of the home, overall workmanship looks pretty nice, just need to deal with those pesky building & safety code requirements.

I like the clock.

The downstairs looks interesting too. It it set up as MIL suite? I see what looks to be panel molding on the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by G Montgomery View Post
    Hadn't thought about the tempered glass. I have a friend who is one of Atlanta's top window tinters and he has spoken about a type of window film that can be added that provides the safety of tempered glass.
    Don't fall for that sales pitch - there are window films installed on the glass which can provide the safety of tempered glass.

There are window films which can address that and even make the window 'blast-resistant', but there is a key difference in the way the window films are installed.

The window films in your house or business are installed with "daylight cuts" around the film. I.e., the film is applied to the glass and then the film is "trimmed off" around the edges of the film at the window frames, this leaves a very narrow (very narrow if cut properly) sliver of "daylight" visible around the film. Now when the window breaks ... the film hold the pieces of glass together so that the entire glass window area breaks around the edges and falls inward or outward.

The "blast-resistant" films are not only thicker, but the film is carried out around the window frame and is secured to the structure with special strips and anchor bolts. Now when the window breaks ... the film remains in place in the window opening and the broken pieces of glass are kept out of the room.

There were companies selling that window tint as 'making windows hurricane proof', then the next hurricane came along and all the windows blew out, the difference was that the film held the pieces together, that was all - but the windows still blew out.

This is the way I describe things like that:
    - a) You have a second story window which is not tempered and not laminated, you fall through the window, you land on a pile of large pieces of glass when you hit the ground.
    - b) You have a second story window which is tempered but not laminated, you fall through the window, you land on a pile of small pieces of glass instead of large pieces - that is the only difference, but you still hit the ground.
    - c) You have a second story window which is not tempered and not laminated but is tinted, you fall through the window, you land on a carpet of glass held together by the window tinting film, but you still hit the ground.
    - d) You have a second story window which is tempered and laminated, you fall through the window ... no you don't, the laminated glass keeps you from falling through the window, you fell against the window and the window shattered but the laminated film held it all together and held it in the window frame ... you look down to the ground and thank your lucky stars you paid for a window with laminated glass. (Yes, of course the laminated glass needs to be in a window designed for it in order for the window to retain the laminated glass when the window was broken.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Edward Olsoe Guest

I would find out who provides their homowner's insurance and notify their agent.
    It's a guarantee that if there is any kind of a house fire, whether or not the wood stove is responsible, the DIY wood stove install will void the entire fire coverage.

And the 'fence/guard rail' around the (basement window well?) is strong enough to prevent someone from falling in? And is it vinyl in direct contact with the chimney?

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The "blast-resistant" films are not only thicker, but the film is carried out around the window frame and is secured to the structure with special strips and anchor bolts. Now when the window breaks ... the film remains in place in the window opening and the broken pieces of glass are kept out of the room.
    I say if you are looking at "Blast-resistant" films, you should consider relocating to somewhere more boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    I say if you are looking at "Blast-resistant" films, you should consider relocating to somewhere more boring.
    LOL

I was jus' 'splainin' the dif' 'tween them and the 'why' window tint films do not work for that purpose.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry
    From the emails you get, maybe you should consider getting Blast resistant film. Sounds like you may need it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    maybe you should consider getting Blast resistant film.
    I Like The Netting.
    .Franklin company's net armor saving lives in Afghanistan - Milford, MA - The Milford Daily News

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Jerry
    From the emails you get, maybe you should consider getting Blast resistant film. Sounds like you may need it.

Maybe this one-way bullet proof glass.

OneWay Bullet Resistant Glass - YouTube

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That changes everything about people who live in glass houses.

G Montgomery Guest

Thanks for info on window. I'll tackle that one after I'm sure the house isn't going to burn down and my granddaughters will be able to breathe without risk.