Chuck Hill Guest

Default Want to Bid on a Foreclosure but the Roof slopes. major Issue?

Hello,
    I'm thinking of making an offer on a Homepath home,the property is sold "As is" and on a "Bid Now" option. Now, there is something wrong with the roof, it slopes in the center on both side front and back and exactly in the same area. Looking from the street one side of the roof "sits" lower than the other. I like the location and the inside of the house needs only updates but, I am not a roofer and not sure whether is a"minor problem or something as serious as replacing the entire roof. If I pay for an inspection, and don't win the bid, I will be out a few hundred of dollars, if I do win it would be too late to inspect...winning bidders will have to buy or forfeit earnest money and possibly get sued. Can any one give me an idea as to what may be wrong with this property? I hope I have attached photo of the home correctly, where you see the snow is where it slopes

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Chuck Hill; 10-02-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Want to Bid on a Foreclosure but the Roof slopes. major Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hill View Post
    Can any one give me an idea as to what may be wrong with this property? I hope I have attached photo of the home correctly, where you see the snow is where it slopes
    Chuck
    Sorry, I can't help
    With all the snow making that call would be difficult for an inspector that is on site.
    I think your gonna have to go it on your own, on this one.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Sometimes it's cheaper to go first class the first time, especially if you're bidding to win. The few bucks you save could end up costing alot more later.

Be careful.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hill View Post
    If I pay for an inspection, and don't win the bid, I will be out a few hundred of dollars, if I do win it would be too late to inspect...winning bidders will have to buy or forfeit earnest money and possibly get sued. Can any one give me an idea as to what may be wrong with this property?
    "Can any one give me an idea as to what may be wrong with this property? "

Yes ... it has not been inspected.

I would change one thing in what Steven said ... I would leave off the first word: " it's cheaper to go first class the first time, especially if you're bidding to win. The few bucks you save could end up costing alot more later."

You are comparing losing a "few hundred of dollars" to (as the saying goes) "losing your shirt" ... it's your choice on which you want to risk.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I don't see a problem. The roof is supposed to slope.
    As a home inspector, most foreclosures are foreclosuers for a reason. The owner walked away because the house had problems. I haven't inspected one yet where I thought to myself "what a great deal!".

END GLOBAL WHINING

If I had to guess, someone took out a bearing wall between the kitchen and living room.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Chuck Hill Guest

Thank you everybody for all the advise. At this point I have a pretty good idea as to how to go about it and most important the amount I should bid. This would be a retirement home and not an investment, will get the inspection and whatever happens happens!

Chuck,
    Make sure that you get an inspection from someone that has construction and framing experience. One that will quote costs in the report.

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine. The house is older and has had a few additions. I can't tell from the pics if there is sag in the roof or simply changing planes from additions not matching up.
    We don't know the age or condition of the shingles.

There may be cracked rafters which will need to be repaired. Difficult but not too expensive to do for a skilled carpenter.
    If the house was built crooked, it may be simply a cosmetic problem, expensive to change.
    If a wall was removed, it should be easy to tell from the interior floor plan. This would be a major expense to repair, not worth it. A home inspection will answer these questions for you.

The HI should tell you what the house needs, but I don't ever quote prices for repairs in my report. That is a job for a contractor.

A foreclosure is usually due to an inability to pay the mortgage. It doesn't mean per se the house is a wreck, but it does mean there was no extra cash for maintenance and repairs, probably for several years before the owner had to move out.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Really John? You don't see people in your area walking away from homes with major structural issues? Good for you!

END GLOBAL WHINING

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Really John? You don't see people in your area walking away from homes with major structural issues? Good for you!

Not around here either...most foreclosures in Florida are due to mortgages, employment, and cost of living, not structural issues.

Chuck Hill Guest

John,
    You are correct, the small room and garage was added later, the home was built in 1958.The property is a lake front , 2 acres of land listed at $80,000 where other homes are between 120K 150K. When I went to look at the house (see new pic) I spoke with the next door neighbor he said " the roof has been like that for 20 years" Inside, there are two large water stain on living room carpet, directly below "the slope".The ceiling however was dry but could have been replaced as it is a "drop ceiling" I saw no cracks on walls or ceiling, the basement clean and dry, does not appear to ever had any walls removed. My thought is, if I can get it for an even lower price and I find that the issue is only with the roof it will be worth it.Now the search for a Pro begins, I live in Oh the House is in Michigan...

Thank you!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Chuck Hill; 10-03-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added photo