Mike K Guest

Post Hi from Central FL, Wind Mit question

Hello, just started in home inspection here in central florida but have been reading these posts alot.

Did a wind mitigation form the other day and was wondering if there is an easier way to get photos into the wind mit form i scanned into pdf? I got it to work but it took a while. Just want to be able to send one file to client, ins. etc. thru email. Don't want to print photos and rescan them.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Hi from Central FL, Wind Mit question

Welcome.
    I'm not familiar with the particular forms but if you can scan it and get it into the document, you should be able to save the photos to your computer and insert them the same way you did the scanned image.
    I usually open my photos on MS photo editor on one half of my screen and my document on the other, which makes it easy to either copy and paste or drag and drop the photo exactly where I want it instead of using the import feature in MS Word.
    Good Luck.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Mike, while there are DIY pdf options available, you can purchase one of several pdf wind mit report generators that simplify the process. Some are actually free, others cost just a few bucks.

Check out: Wind Mitigation. Florida Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection Form

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Hello, just started in home inspection here in central florida ...
    Congratulations on getting your Florida Home Inspector license ... you are licensed, right?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hello, just started in home inspection here in central florida but have been reading these posts alot.

Did a wind mitigation form the other day and was wondering if there is an easier way to get photos into the wind mit form i scanned into pdf? I got it to work but it took a while. Just want to be able to send one file to client, ins. etc. thru email. Don't want to print photos and rescan them.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Hey Mike,
    3D Inspections is an excellant inspection software provider, their software includes updated insurance inspection reports including wind mitigation, Citizens 4 point and roof certifications.
    Also, FABI Florida Association of Building Inspectors, which is a great trade organization, also provides these reports for members.
    Welcome to the torture chamber!

Mike, at first I was putting the form and the pics in a folder and sending them. My wind mits usually have 12 or more pics. The pics would be a full size sheet of paper, and if someone had to print them it was way too much. Now, I put them in a Word doc. You can make the pics smaller (size wise) and fit 4 pics on a page. Save each page of pics as a PDF and send the scanned form and the pics as one folder. I have a fill in form I got for free, but the forms that have the pic attachment feature is $129 last I saw. I think that includes the Citizens 4 point and roof condition report as well.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Also make sure you have the Wind MIT training. More and more agents are calling months later and wanting a copy of my Home Inspector License and proof of wind MIT training. FABI just had one and I did mine from 1802 Inspectors.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Mike K Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Congratulations on getting your Florida Home Inspector license ... you are licensed, right?

yep, fully licensed and insured

The free way i've tried involved scanning signed form along with some blank pages. Using free pdf editor to add photos to blank pages (pita). then sending one pdf file.

I'll try maybe pdf to word converter, then add photos, then convert back to pdf.

I still need some inspection software but just don't have the business yet to pay for it but it may be the solution.

Thanks again,

Mike

yep, fully licensed and insured
    Mike,

THIS is why I asked. To bad you thought you had to 'roll eyes' at the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    Also make sure you have the Wind MIT training. More and more agents are calling months later and wanting a copy of my Home Inspector License and proof of wind MIT training.
    I've heard of people who did those without being licensed and then were asked to refund the money they received because their reports were useless - didn't want you to fall into there, but maybe it does not matter if you do?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes Jerry. I spend a lot of time sending copies of my license. Just had a lightbulb go on. Maybe send a copy of my license and wind MIT training with the report. Thoughts?

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Yes Jerry. I spend a lot of time sending copies of my license. Just had a lightbulb go on. Maybe send a copy of my license and wind MIT training with the report. Thoughts?
    Not a bad idea. If they don't want those items they can dispose of them or ask you to stop sending them.

For all Florida inspectors - have any of you tried that and what was the outcome, good or bad?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

For all Florida inspectors - have any of you tried that and what was the outcome, good or bad?
    I used to include them as photos in the photo page. Adds to the report size, and really isn't necessary. The can look up the License, as you have to include your HI # on the form.
    Now I don't attach it anymore, if they want it they can call. Rarely happens lately.

Sometimes they call to get a copy of your Wind Mit training certificate.

The whole thing is a waste of time anyway.

Mike K Guest

Mike,

THIS is why I asked. To bad you thought you had to 'roll eyes' at the question.

I've heard of people who did those without being licensed and then were asked to refund the money they received because their reports were useless - didn't want you to fall into there, but maybe it does not matter if you do?
    lol, i meant just to have a smiley face, not the roll eyes, my screen is so small i can't always see what those faces are showing

good point on the wind mit training and people coming back down the road to ask you about it, but i did take the citizense course and have my cert. to show if needed.

Thanks,

Mike K.

lol, i meant just to have a smiley face, not the roll eyes, my screen is so small i can't always see what those faces are showing

good point on the wind mit training and people coming back down the road to ask you about it, but i did take the citizense course and have my cert. to show if needed.

Thanks,

Mike K.
    I thought home inspectors could not do Citizens wind inspections. Last I heard it was GC, architect etc.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Mike K Guest

I thought home inspectors could not do Citizens wind inspections. Last I heard it was GC, architect etc.
    From the form:

Qualified Inspector – I hold an active license as a: (check one) Home inspector licensed under Section 468.8314, Florida Statutes who has completed the statutory number of hours of hurricane mitigation training approved by the Construction Industry Licensing Board and completion of a proficiency exam.

Building code inspector certified under Section 468.607, Florida Statutes.

General, building or residential contractor licensed under Section 489.111,
    Florida Statutes. Professional engineer licensed under Section 471.015, Florida Statutes. Professional architect licensed under Section 481.213, Florida Statutes. Any other individual or entity recognized by the insurer as possessing the necessary qualifications to properly complete a uniform mitigation verification form pursuant to Section 627.711(2), Florida Statutes.

I meant the Citizens re-inspection on already completed wind mits. For some reason home inspectors can not do re-inspects for Citizens.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.