Elena Gerstmann Guest

Default strange looking insulation

Hello,
    I am about to buy a house. It is about 90 years old in New Jersey. I had it inspected but there was stuff in the attic at the time and the inspector couldn't see what I just saw when I stopped by. Part of the wall in the attic storage area is missing so I could see the floor (top of 2nd floor ceiling) and saw odd looking insulation. From my own search on line, I think it is Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation or UFFI Foam which would be okay because the dangerous fumes have all dissipated . My concern is maybe it is vermiculite with asbestos which is dangerous.
    I attached a picture. Any thoughts?

Help would be greatly appreciated. My daughter wants to convert storage room into a playroom.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: strange looking insulation

The pic is poor but it does not look like vermiculite to me.
    Yes it could be UFFI.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

If it is UFFI pieces will break off very easily and crumble into a powder when rubbed between your fingers.

Looks like matted or wadded up fiberglass.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Not vermiculite.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

Not UFFI (I have it in my own home) unless it has been removed from a wall cavity and bulk loaded to the attic.

Not Vermiculite....

Most likely Rock Wool which is a common type throughout PA & NJ for the age of the home.......

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    Not UFFI (I have it in my own home) unless it has been removed from a wall cavity and bulk loaded to the attic.

Not Vermiculite....

Most likely Rock Wool which is a common type throughout PA & NJ for the age of the home.......
    Doesn't look like any rockwool that I've come across (a lot). Looks like a big pile of foam over-spray from the pic. Either way, I think everyone agrees that it is not vermiculite.

Mark Fisher
    Allegany Inspection Service - Cumberland MD 21502 - 301-722-2224
    Home Inspections, Mold Testing, Thermal Imaging

Doesn't look like any vermiculite or rock wool I've encountered over the years. If you have time, why not take a small sample for lab analysis to a certified testing lab somewhere? Worst case scenario would involve sealing it all off with a heavy layer of visquine before installing a permanent flooring in the daughter's play area.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post

Not Vermiculite....

All we have to go on is one poorly exposed picture. I know you have seen UFFI and RockwooI. I don't see how you can make that statement with any certainty whatsoever.

Here is her picture and beside it a picture of UFFI in an attic. I don't need to post a pic of Rockwool, do I?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca