Default Receptacle behind the stove

A licensed professional approved this woodstove installation.
    It looks like a flammable object too close to the stove to me.

Would a metal receptacle, such as the brass units that can be mounted in a floor, make this acceptable?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Receptacle behind the stove

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    A licensed professional approved this woodstove installation.
    It looks like a flammable object too close to the stove to me.

Would a metal receptacle, such as the brass units that can be mounted in a floor, make this acceptable?
    The Manufactures Installation Guide ( for listed and labeled solid fuel appliances ) dictates the clearances for each model.
    *brass cover would just transfer heat to the plastic junction box, framing, drywall, wiring or other combustibles inside the wall cavity.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Stephen G Guest

There should be an air gap between that pebble wall And the wall. I see no gap between unit and the pebble wall? Zero clearance?, if so that outlet may be okay. manufacturers installation or B365...can you get an establishing shot of that install pls...

Last edited by Stephen G; 10-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.

No woodstove should ever be installed less than 12" from a combustible wall regardless of shielding. This appears to be a masonry wall with an outlet mounted in it. The plastic and wiring in the outlet are not rated for these temps. so it should not be allowed.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Thanks, all. Like I said, a licensed inspector ok'ed it. It is in a mobile*home, BTW.

*pre-1974

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    www.allsafehome.ca

Hard to tell, but you do need to look at the installation manual. Looks like this unit might have a heat shield on the back which may allow it to be as close as 8 - 10 inches to combustible materials. If that is the case it's probably a safe installation and the outlet is fine and the stone is there just for looks. I've seen wood stoves get as close as 6 inches to combustibles per manufactures instructions.

Thanks, all. Like I said, a licensed inspector ok'ed it. It is in a mobile*home, BTW.
    *pre-1974
    John,

Looks like that big ole 2 x 6 ( mantle) also has to go.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 10-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Stephen G Guest

John, much has been said from that pic. And it's all correct....the thing about a WETT SITE inspection is that the appliance isn't grandfathered, ever, regardless of how old it is, for today's insurance and WETT standards it is failing just on the visual. If that stove is not not listed (certified) then it falls under CSA B365....and then that stove will end up in the middle of the room....

A current insp for insurance purposes is needed, then some modification will no doubt happen, or a removal .

For Christmas get yourself a copy of CSA B365....

John,
    Did you put a call into the "licensed professional" that approved the installation of the unit to ask them what standards were used, if not why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    John, much has been said from that pic. And it's all correct....the thing about a WETT SITE inspection is that the appliance isn't grandfathered, ever, regardless of how old it is, for today's insurance and WETT standards it is failing just on the visual. If that stove is not not listed (certified) then it falls under CSA B365....and then that stove will end up in the middle of the room....

A current insp for insurance purposes is needed, then some modification will no doubt happen, or a removal .

For Christmas get yourself a copy of CSA B365....
    Stephen, you don't know me and you don't know what I have in my library, so I won't take offense.
    I gave the date of the mobile home because after 74, we start calling them manufactured homes, and I was expecting thread drift in that direction.
    I don't know or care when the stove was built, only whether it has a WH# number and a CSA approval sticker, which it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    John,
    Did you put a call into the "licensed professional" that approved the installation of the unit to ask them what standards were used, if not why not?
    I was not privy to those documents, only given a verbal that this was an approved install. My client will need an inspection for insurance purposes. I pointed out the receptacle and the mantle and recommended that they ask the WETT inspector about them.
    If anyone wants to read the manual, it is here. Clearances at the rear - Seven or Eight inches. See page 7.
    http://www.pacificenergy.net/pacific...structions.pdf

www.allsafehome.ca

..............I gave the date of the mobile home because after 74, we start calling them manufactured homes, and I was expecting thread drift in that direction................
    ............sometimes ya just got to let it go .........Greg

Fwiw
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...qkfJsy25Vf_drg

In our last newsletter, we mentioned the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) had released a new version of B365 – the Installation Code for Solid-Fuel Burning Appliances and Equipment. While the old version (B365-01) is still in effect for now, the new version (B365-10) is expected to come into force very soon once it is referenced within building codes in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    No woodstove should ever be installed less than 12" from a combustible wall regardless of shielding. This appears to be a masonry wall with an outlet mounted in it. The plastic and wiring in the outlet are not rated for these temps. so it should not be allowed.
    There are several that are listed for less than 12" clearance from combustibles...

Bart Ogden
    Wichita, KS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    No woodstove should ever be installed less than 12" from a combustible wall regardless of shielding.
    There are plenty of solid fuel stoves with a listed distance of less than 12", some as close as 5".

That said the pic does not show enough......

Red face Re: Receptacle behind the stove

My error: I should have specified no UNLISTED woodstove may be closer than 12" regardless of shielding.

As for the electrical equipment, find out what the maximum duty rating is for it. The stove listing allows for a maximum surface temp. rise of 90F above ambient. Can that outlet and wiring withstand 160-170F for extended periods of time.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.