Default Direct/indirect venting question

Regarding an up-flow high E furnace; Does the installer have the option of direct or indirect venting or does the manufacture typically dictate the manner in which the furnace is vented?
    The Furnace I inspected is indirect, however the combustion air is taken from the garage which sparked my interest, leading to this post.
    Thanks
    Marc

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Marc M; 10-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Direct/indirect venting question

The furnace also appears to be IN the garage.

As pictured it could not be considered direct vent. Sealed combustion chamber also required to be considered to be same.

The manufacturer's instructions and recommendations which are part of the listing investigation, and the limitations of both the code(s) and the other equally important conditions of the space.

I note in the same space (garage?) there appears to be a Cat I water heater (to the right). Thus the furnace would encourage backdrafting of the WH hood. And would be in conflict with provisions for alternative installation to DV.

I also suspect (although not pictured) the likelyhood additonal appliances may be present - i.e. laundry (?).

Default Re: Direct/indirect venting question

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    The furnace also appears to be IN the garage.

As pictured it could not be considered direct vent. Sealed combustion chamber also required to be considered to be same.

The manufacturer's instructions and recommendations which are part of the listing investigation, and the limitations of both the code(s) and the other equally important conditions of the space.

I note in the same space (garage?) there appears to be a Cat I water heater (to the right). Thus the furnace would encourage backdrafting of the WH hood. And would be in conflict with provisions for alternative installation to DV.

Excellent points, thanks HG.

I also suspect (although not pictured) the likelyhood additonal appliances may be present - i.e. laundry (?).
    Excellent points, thanks HG.