Thread: PEX Gas line?

Default PEX Gas line?

First time I have seen this. PEX being used for gas line, pipe is exposed at exterior and is routed below ground. It's serving a gas furance in a detached garage.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Trent Tarter; 10-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: PEX Gas line?

From the 2006 IRC
    G2414.6 (403.6) Plastic pipe, tubing and fittings. Plastic
    pipe, tubing and fittings used to supply fuel gas shall be used
    outdoors, underground, only, and shall conform to ASTM D
    2513. Pipe shall be marked “Gas” and “ASTM D 2513.”

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The primary concern I see is the pipe breaking down from sunlight or getting damaged from gardening in area, weed-wacker,shovel, etc.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Doesn't look like PEX to me (but I didn't see it with my naked eye, or check its markings as surely you did).Looks more like PE. PE for Gas is yellow and appropriately marked. Looks to be outdoors to me as well. Where emerging from grade it must be protected, even the Gas Co. will do so.

Does appear to be white PEX which is inappropriate for gas and is not properly install for water. The PEX is not allowed to be exposed for the UV deterioration issue. The proper PE for gas would be yellow in color, have a yellow trace wire wrapped around it, terminated above ground at each end(normally just means available for attatchment to tracing equipment). The PE is not allowed to surface at terminations. It is supposed to have a metal protected riser on each end to go from trench depth to above ground termination. These are usually a manufacturers riser.

terminated above ground at each end(normally just means available for attatchment to tracing equipment). The PE is not allowed to surface at terminations.
    William, Not picking on you but could you clarify, Thanks!!

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Yes Tom, it just means to secure the trace wire in such a way as to allow for connection to a tone generator used to trace underground metallic items, I.e. the trace wire. We will usually leave about 18" of wire exposed, fold it and wire tie it to the riser.

That does not appear to meet code on at least 2 counts. No yellow identifier and no trace wire. Codes vary, but I seriously doubt that's ok. At a minimum I'd call the local gas company and ask them.

Home Inspection Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral Florida Home Inspector.

Thanks William.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Al Roden Guest

This one (1) inch flex pipe that spans across the attic space, but not into any walls, was installed by a licensed plumber in 2009 - I spoke to the plumber and he says it's permissible. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Roden View Post
    I spoke to the plumber and he says it's permissible. Is it?
    Al,

Why do you think it my not be permissible?

Given that all was done correctly, of course.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi Al;
    You should start another thread since this is different than what this thread was discussing.
    Anyway, this is a permissible installation if, the CSST gas line is not subject to damage (crushing or puncture) and it should have been secured with the appropriate straps. If this is near the eave where clearance would prevent stepping on it is probably OK. Though the local jurisdiction may have their own opinion.
    It appears to be TracPipe or similar which is aproved in wall spaces also, (with appropriate protection).

Al Roden Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Al,

Why do you think it my not be permissible? Given that all was done correctly, of course.
    It's mainly because I'm both igorant and paranoid - the flex is attached to the solid piping on both ends of the attic. It was a reroute that was made necessary when the ceilings were raised during a permitless remodel - the solid gas line that had been laid flat across the joists had to be cut on both ends of the house to make room for the raised ceilings. So, it's just not something that I see very often. .

It's mainly because I'm both igorant and paranoid - the flex is attached to the solid piping on both ends of the attic. It was a reroute that was made necessary when the ceilings were raised during a permitless remodel - the solid gas line that had been laid flat across the joists had to be cut on both ends of the house to make room for the raised ceilings. So, it's just not something that I see very often. .
    Given that there is no permit for the remodel, then no it is not legal.

It was a reroute that was made necessary when the ceilings were raised during a permitless remodel - the solid gas line that had been laid flat across the joists had to be cut on both ends of the house to make room for the raised ceilings. So, it's just not something that I see very often. .
    Ahh ... I see now ... says the blind man ... I was wondering it it was just something you have not seen, or if it was something you had seen (it was something you had seen - the alterations with no permit which raised your suspicions about the gas line).

*IF* ... that 'big if' we hear about so often ... *IF* it was done correctly then there would not be a problem with it, however, with no permit and no inspections there is no way to know if it was done properly (not that it is done properly 'just because' there is a permit, but at least a permit indicates that 'someone looked at it'. which is a good start).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kent Perry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Thanks William.
    This installation although may be legal, has a amateurish look to it. First, the yellow jacket has been cut back too far leaving exposed metal (should be wrapped with tape) and secondly, the use of galvanized pipe for gas is a no no!

Al Roden Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KentPerry View Post
    ...the use of galvanized pipe for gas is a no no!

Galvanized gas pipe is a yes yes in these here parts. However, I don't know how to look at that connection, between the flex and the rigid pipes, and tell if it's acceptable or sufficient - I wonder whether those fittings reduce or restrict the gas flow in any significant way.
    I wonder simply because the gas meter has been upsized to a ginormous one to accommodatea gas furnace, a gas water heater, a gas oven and range, and a gas pool heater;some of which were added during the remodel; however, everything seems to function okay when operated simultaneously, so I suppose the line and connections are sufficient.

The fittings are not counted as restrictive for any of the CSST that we have been certified to install. As long as the pipe size is adequate for the demand and run, everything should work fine. Galvanized is not an issue in California, though may be a local issue.

Almost forgot. For Wardflex and TracPipe the taping of the cut back yellow jacket is only required for exterior installations.

One thing I did not see was a bonding wire which is required for CSST. So that is an issue.

http://www.csstsafety.com/Images/CSS...h-Bulletin.pdf

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Hi Don,
    Read your post, thank you for the PDF. For most of our jurisdictions this bonding is just after the meter at the side of the house. This single bond is down stream of the meter and upstream of the first CSST fitting. Are you inferring that a second bonding needs to occur at the pictured connection?