Thread: Ok or or not

Default Ok or or not

Saw a furnace in a crawl space that is vented directly thru the wall. The furnace was not A 90+ unit, the vent was the tipical 6 inch vent. The vent extended 12 inches outside the house. Seemed to be a danger to children when hot if nothing else.

The furnace appeared to be installed correctly in a horizontal position hanging from the rafters. Sorry no photo. Any opinions.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Ok or or not

Gotta write it up as defective,
    - burn hazard
    - poison hazard
    - clearance to windows and property line
    - backdraft hazard
    - pipe rust out hazard
    - how far off ground, does it have a proper hood or can rodents get in
    - since its in a crawlspace, how damp, vented, insulated is the crawlspace; 2 things kill a furnace, dirt and high moisture
    - does the unit have AC, where does the drain go, on the floor
    - is the crawl conditioned or unconditioned, are ducts insulated or joints properly sealed
    - any fire separation installed to the joists above the unit, i.e. 5/8" drywall, durock, something

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Default Re: Ok or or not

Wrote it up as a burn hazard and back draft problem. Pipe was not near a window and was 20 inches out from the home.

Furnace hangs from rafters not on the ground and the crawl space is dry, its covered with plastic and pea gravel. I see lots of furnaces in crawl spaces. The condensate line was broken but did run to the sump pit. I noted the broken line.