Default Heat Seal II damper on water heater vent

This is on a water heater vent. I've never seen one before, but it appears to be similar to the Ameri-Therm that I have seen on boilers.
    I'm going to recommend removal, but anyone have specific experience with these things?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Heat Seal II damper on water heater vent

Bimetalic stack damper. Old large (60-75 gal-ish) gas WH?
    What else is venting up the stack?
    Basement install? multi-level home? multi-dwelling multi-floor building?
    Upon what basis are you "recommending removal"?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Bimetalic stack damper. Old large (60-75 gal-ish) gas WH?
    What else is venting up the stack?
    Basement install? multi-level home? multi-dwelling multi-floor building?
    Upon what basis are you "recommending removal"?
    It is on a 40 gallon gas WH. There is a gas-fired boiler also venting into the unlined brick chimney. Two story row house single family basement.
    I am "recommending removal" because there is no interlock or spill switch. If the damper fails to open, the water heater continues to run.
    Similar to the Ameri-Therm discussion: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...nt-damper.html

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    It is on a 40 gallon gas WH. There is a gas-fired boiler also venting into the unlined brick chimney. Two story row house single family basement.
    I am "recommending removal" because there is no interlock or spill switch. If the damper fails to open, the water heater continues to run.
    Similar to the Ameri-Therm discussion: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...nt-damper.html
    Right on .

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 10-24-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Right on .
    OK.
    Out of sight. Power to the people.

The set up you describe has more concerns that are not addressed simply by removing a bi-metalic STACK damper. Its not a 4-flap/fin Ameri-Therm. Could make things worse JUST doing that (removing a stack damper).

You don't indicate, guess we are to assume a Cat I WH with a draft hood, spillage nightmare. You didn't indicate if the basement was tight (infiltration, enclosed space) with living space/conditioned either.

The set up you describe has more concerns that are not addressed simply by removing a bi-metalic STACK damper. Its not a 4-flap/fin Ameri-Therm. Could make things worse JUST doing that (removing a stack damper).

You don't indicate, guess we are to assume a Cat I WH with a draft hood, spillage nightmare. You didn't indicate if the basement was tight (infiltration, enclosed space) with living space/conditioned either.
    Yes, Cat I WH with a draft hood. Basement not tight, not living space, not conditioned. 97 year old row house.
    Obviously, chimney needs a liner.