Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Exterior Disconnects for Heat Pumps at Ground Level

I looked at a house with three 15 year old heat pump condenser units and every one had the exterior disconnect box installed in this manner. Buried in snow and immersed is puddled water are my thoughts. Are there any code references that state this installation is incorrect?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Exterior Disconnects for Heat Pumps at Ground Level

Nick,

I don't know about the disconnect, but I do know the pad for a heat pump has to be elevated at least 3 inches above the ground to allow for drainage of the defrost cycle.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Code or not, it's still a problem. Let common sense rule on this one.

That does not meet the requirements of the code for attachment of the disconnect, mainly because how they may have attached (lack of proper attachment) the disconnect to that grille, and secondarily because that grille would need to be removed to clean, service or replace the condenser coil.

Unfortunately, there is no minimum height above ground or above snow depth.

Going with 'A very short technician must have installed that disconnect so they could reach it.' would make most people chuckle and get the idea, but those who are 'height challenged' may not like it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Garry Blankenship Guest

Codes aside, that location would never fly in my rain dominant hood. Jerry's observations are more than enough to call it defective, but the down side of locating an electrical disconnect in the proximity of water run-off is not rocket science.