Default I'm cheating stealing all I can learn

I joined to learn codes and how to make my property even better with that information.
    I have been chastised for not posting. Here It tis!
    In a short time I have been overwhelmed with helpful information posts that pointed out problems I had not noticed.
    I have three houses. 2 -1963 and one 1968 model. None are V8's or super charged.

The 68 had the worst problems with with a poorly constructed Gabriele porch roof.
    No way it was inspected with 2-3 inch gaps in valley. I had to rebuild that plus 3 foot valley roll and total I replacement of roofing. Also, 8 sheets of ceiling drywall in three rooms and 4 sheets of flooring because of water damage in 1/2 week rain deluge.
    I love it! I'm learning the hard way. Your web site is helping me do it the right way.
    I thank all you posters that gave up this information.
    At 74 I doubt I'l be an inspector but I can be an inspector for those things that I have learned here. Thank you all. And Merry Christmas!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: I'm cheating stealing all I can learn

Wow! I'm kind of a lurker, too, and think it's OK to be the first to respond. The full text is not what I expected from the preview.

I too feel nicely encouraged to pipe in, regardless of what it is, exactly, that I do. I am not a professional inspector, but find respect for my posts. I am an educated person, doing weatherization with only a zeal to be eyes-open honest, and constantly improve. That quickly moves me past the competence of most competitors. I have things to share on topics of weatherization, and believe they are very important.

I work hard to share on my web sites and blogs, giving all, for free. Other comparable sharing I find are Build-It-Solar, and Copper-By-Design.

Thank you, InspectionNews, for contributing to my knowledge and competence, in true public discussion.

The more the merrier. I would encourage everyone to participate.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Me too!
    I am a professional inspector, but am an avid visitor to inspectionnews because of the quality of the posts.
    This site has been an invaluable source of knowledge and perspective.
    Thanks to all who freely share their knowledge and opinions.

"the relentless pursuit of perfection"

As one wise person said, "You don't know what you don't know".

We all learn here young and old.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hester View Post
    As one wise person said, "You don't know what you don't know".
    As one not so wise person said: There are known knowns, known unknowns, unknown knowns, and unknown unknowns (the latter being 'You don't know what you don't know').

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yes Yes Yes!!!

But alas there is one that knows it all.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Stephen G Guest

Alex Trebec....

Smile Re: I'm cheating stealing all I can learn

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Yes Yes Yes!!!

But alas there is one that knows it all.
    Some of the realtors I've had to work with also think they know it all, there are also many that don't.

Patrick Shaw Guest

I'm also a "lurker", reading articles and retaining knowledge, thanks for giving us a voice, James!!

I also get constant reminders to post. I am more or less retired from active home inspecting but I still check in to see what others are doing and "keep my hand in". Who knows, if the economy improves I may get back in. I don't miss crawling around attics in a Louisiana summer though.

I learn something new every time I read these posts and that is the best thing about HI, always something new.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Jeepers, peepers. I had no idea there were so many voyers lurking in the substrate. I participate and lurk which I guess makes me a contender and pretender Regardless; a great information source.

James,

In a past life, I worked in Semiconductors. One time I was part of a group that was evaluating a yield enhancement software that Motorola was trying to sell to other companies. We flew from San Jose, CA to Phoenix and then to Austin, TX to check out their software programs.

When we were leaving the Phoenix factory, I grabbed a copy of the company newsletter from the lobby. On the inside cover there was a letter from the Motorola president (Bob McGalvin, i think). In his letter, the president said "Steal shamelessly non-propritary information."

At that point all that came to my mind was "Gosh, I just did !!" Since that day that quote from the Motorola president has been one of my mantras.

I see it as hunting and gathering.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I too lurk... and I don't post much for Jerry and Scott usually address the subject matters or questions thoroughly, and I gather a lot of info myself. There is always room for improvement, trying to find the equanimity between concise information and report language.