K.Cordrey Guest

Default Clearance from electrical mast to chimney

I'm installing a wood stove chimney, got everything topside done when a neighbor asked if it was too close to the electrical mast. The 3' electrical mast is about 18" from the edge of the overhang. The 7' metal chimney is about 48" from the edge of the overhang, but offset to the left of the mast by about 4'. I didn't find anything in code other than clearances for the masthead and height above roof for the chimney. Does anyone have insight on this?

I didn't get down quickly enough when it started raining, slid off the roof and twisted my back, so I will have to hire someone to finish the installation. I need to know if he be finishing the install or relocating it.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Re: Clearance from electrical mast to chimney

Ouch; very sorry about your fall. I did a quick scan of the NEC and found no reference to horizontal clearences. There is a generic-like reference to 3' around building openings. Local codes may apply, but I think you have no problem; electrically speaking. Likely a common sense application. If there is any way the wind could cause your strike to reach that chimney, it should be changed.

K.Cordrey Guest

Default Re: Clearance from electrical mast to chimney

Thank you very much, Gary. I feel better having a second opinion. Mine cannot always be relied upon!