Default Squeak Preventer?

The attached photo is of a device that I've not seen before, and I'd like to know what it is (in case my client asks me). At first I thought it might be some sort of joist support, but the anchored end doesn't appear to have nearly enough beef to hold up a joist, and you normally wouldn't support one from overhead anyway. Besides, there was no need to support this joist. Reasoning it out, I'm now thinking that this may instead be a device to eliminate or reduce floor squeaks by pulling the sub-floor down tight against the joist. Am I correct? Has anybody else seen these?

And yes, I already am commenting on the electrical wiring being routed under the joist.

Just for your viewing pleasure, I'm also including an electrician's nightmare photo from another area of the basement. Needless to say, this was a Harry Homeowner enhanced residence. Lots of fun for the home inspector!

Thanks a lot for your wisdom and experience!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Garry Blankenship Guest

Default Re: Squeak Preventer?

What was above ? Intriguing hardware I've never seen. Definitely has some hold down purpose, but unlikely it's for the sub-floor when a screw / lag of some variety could have been used for that 3/4" away. No clue, but I guess either some custom device mounting or flooring hold down.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    What was above ? Intriguing hardware I've never seen. Definitely has some hold down purpose, but unlikely it's for the sub-floor when a screw / lag of some variety could have been used for that 3/4" away. No clue, but I guess either some custom device mounting or flooring hold down.
    Above this was a portion of the living room floor, and now thinking about it, the living room was the only area of the house with squeaky flooring. Very squeaky as a matter of fact. Hmmmm!

Yes, that is what it is sold for, but they do not work (that I have seen).
    A little liquid nail and some cedar shims work much better.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McIntyre View Post
    Yes, that is what it is sold for, but they do not work (that I have seen).
    A little liquid nail and some cedar shims work much better.
    Yes, but just don't drive them in too deep!