Neil Solloway Guest

Default Ridge Vent Placement

My roofer chose to place the ridge vents separate and equally spaced across the ridge line. The amount of ventilation is correct, it actually comes in at 1/150. instead of a continuous line of four(4) vent together he separated them. Is this code? I cannot find anything that state they must be continuous, only the amount of ventilation

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Ridge Vent Placement

There's no one size fits all ventilation design-- I'm just impressed your roofer put in enough ventilation to comply with min. building codes........

So why doesn't the roofer want to run the full length of the ridge? Could it possibly be so that he could be more competitive? You can never have too much ventilation. Also, I don't like ridge vents - they block up too quickly with airborne particles. I looked at a 6 year old attic yesterday and the ridge vent's filter media was 90% blocked. For what ever reason, roofers think that these things are the cat's pajamas.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Lots of different kinds of ridge vents. Good point on some of them needing regular maintenance.

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

I'm with you, Eric. I've never been lucky eough to meet a ridge vent that I liked (meaning it was functional). They all tend to plug up after a year or two of service. Maybe I've just been looking at the cheapo versions(?).

Neil Solloway Guest

Eric,

So why doesn't the roofer want to run the full length of the ridge? Could it possibly be so that he could be more competitive? You can never have too much ventilation. Also, I don't like ridge vents - they block up too quickly with airborne particles. I looked at a 6 year old attic yesterday and the ridge vent's filter media was 90% blocked. For what ever reason, roofers think that these things are the cat's pajamas.
    Has nothing to do with cost, they are only ~$10 a piece, it was simply a look, and as I said we met code for 1/150. We were replacing a roof that had ridge vents, so easiest route.

Does anyone have an answer to my question ? Is there anything in the code about needing the ridge vents together or can they be separated. We used GAF SnowCountry vents

THANK YOU

Does anyone have an answer to my question ? Is there anything in the code about needing the ridge vents together or can they be separated. We used GAF SnowCountry vents
    Code says use X amount of ventilation, which you say you did, and follow manufacturer's installation instructions. As long as you followed the instructions, you're OK.

http://www.gaf.com/Residential_Roofi...structions.pdf

You're welcome........

For a uniform appearance, install Cobra ®4" rigid vent over the entire length of the ridge, making sure that the vent extends past the slot opening

Last edited by Brandon Whitmore; 11-05-2012 at 08:31 PM.