Thread: crawl built

Default crawl built

1990 house built with crawl. I know there is moisture issue. But this is the first I see one side of the joists supported by ledger other than foundation. the opposite is normally seen. Any reasons? Sunken family room?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Peter Louis; 11-03-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: crawl built

So is the ledger board sitting on top of the foundation at all?

Is the ledger board lag bolted into the foundation?

Can't tell from photo but there does appear to be a nail in the ledger into the concrete?

Looks like a pretty weak load bearing issue in my opinion.

The ledger is supported only by those water-soaked posts.

One reason for doing that is where the foundation wall is a retaining wall for a higher grade on that side of the house. I see that here too sometimes, so it may be in the design plans.

If it is in the plans, the designer is a goof. Call for pressure treated wood posts.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The ledger is secured on the foundation & also supported by the post which got moisture but still strong. The grade is ok but for sure there was water intrusion into crawl especially from the left foundation/footing mould board (most new homes foundation built in this way to save time & $). I found the perimeter drain outside but it looks like not as deep as footing possibly the old building code. They have contractor evaluation which will cost $15,000 to set up to sump pump & fix the moisture barrier.

The ledger is only under the family room. I still think the sunken family room is the reason.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I see from your last pic the downspout is dumping water right there. No wonder the crawlspace is wet.

A storm drain system can be installed to carry the runoff from the roof away from the house. This should be solid PVC pipe and because it is not tied to the foundation perimeter drains, it can be installed just below the surface.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca