Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default state licensing for home inspectors

hey all

i am the president of the rocky mountain NAHI chapter. i just recieved a memo to attend a meeting from a re/max realtor trying to get inspectors here to be licensed. i would like to know the pros and cons of this. all of my inspectors have been in business for many years me included and all are certified with proper schooling and certified by that learning institution and have passed our associations advanced certification and or NEHI. we have monthly education meetings and a yearly all day session--as well as emails sent from all members when something of interest comes up. what do you think of this demand from realestate agents and what did it do to your inspection business and etc. seems it would only mean our prices would go up because what we have to pay--someone gets handed the cost--just looking for any help--meeting on 11/13--does a license make me a better inspector--does it weed out the unqualified

please give me your thoughts

thanks

cvf

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: state licensing for home inspectors

Charlie, I had mistakenly thought licensing would be good for our state. But the requirements were watered down and the CE requirements are pretty pathetic. As a result it has hurt us. The # of HIs shot up when licensing came along and the quality of inspectors dropped. A friend of mine just attended a class for state credit and he said it was pretty much a joke.

If the agents want their clients to have good inspectors then they need to learn how to scope them out and forget about licensing.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

thanks eric

notes for my meeting--can you or anyone tell me how do you get a license in your state to be a HI-requirements

cvf

Licensing does not keep people out of the profession. It defines a very specific path so that they can become licensed. Continuing education requirements is the way to keep the standards high. If licensed inspectors have to take 40+ hours of training a year, a lot of potential inspectors will balk at giving up a weeks worth of billing AND pay to take a class.

The second method to weed out wanna be's is require E&O insurance. That is a $2-3000 penalty tax to every home inspector. Part timers don't make enough to pay the insurance so they quit. But that also raises the cost of all existing home inspectors.

Make sure that the licensing board has legal responsibility to go after people who practice without a license. The NC licensing board only has domain over licensed home inspectors. Inspecting without a license is a crime but the state DA said he doesn't care and doesn't have the time, money, or manpower to go after such trivial things. So someone other than the law has to find out about unlicensed home inspectors, collect evidence they are inspecting and then hand carry the case to the DA. If it is an open and shut case and there is nothing else do to, he might. Just ain't going to happen.

Make sure that licensing board make bars Agents and Builders from becoming members. They tend to direct the board to be more stringent on inspectors for no particular reason. The Home Builders Association had the NC law changed requiring additional CE for home inspectors while there is no CE required at all for General contractors. The agents hopped on that bus and backed the law change. Inspectors already take twice what agents have to have but they still wanted inspectors to take more training.

The fallacy in their thinking was that if they could make inspectors take more training, the reports would all be the same and they would no longer have to argue about defects.

North Carolina link
    NCDOI OSFM | Engineering and Codes - Home Inspector - Licensing Application-Home_Inspector_Licensure_Tools

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

GREAT GUYS KEEP IT COMING--I HAVE SO MANY NOTES

THANKS

When TN started licensing in 2005 there were aboiut 400 inspectors in the State. Within a year or so, there was close to 900.
    With the downturn in the economy, the number is back down to around 400 again.
    The interesting thing I learned about licensing was you could be a licensed home inspector without ever having inspected a house. I was hiring an additional inspector when licensing started, and got several applications. The guy I ended up hiring had never done a home inspection. He had taken the training, passed the exam, and got E&O insurance.

Licensing did nothing to protect consumers in the State (the intended purpose).

Ted Menelly Guest

True, sadly you never have to have inspected a home to become a home inspector..

Licensing at the least adds one more threshold for a wanna be inspector to cross to start inspecting homes. He at the least has to take courses and pass tests on each section of the course and they are proctored and then a final exam whether it be thru the state in our case or the NHIE.

The next step states have to do is an apprenticeship. A full year should do it. At the least they have a guide, mentor if you wish to at the least handle themselves properly and the reports reviewed to see if at the least they are wording things in the real sense and not a Realtor friendly sense.

Next get rid of any association as in our state with the Texas Real Estate Commission being the overseer of home inspectors. Get rid of having to obtain a SUPRA thru a Real Estate Association.

Next take the absolute bonding of all inspectors and Realtors away once and for all. There should be no one to market to that has thousands in the balance depending in many cases on how nicely a report is written.

Show yourselves as real independent professionals and not skirt monkeys begging for a biscuit.

You have to approach the state legislature as a true group within your state and not just some arm of a National Association/marketing company. True concerned professionals putting yourself forth as such. Apprenticeship, journeyman if you wish, to Professional. When folks realize that they absolutely have to work for someone else and not be able to charge half price to win over many Realtors and no association at all with realtors then I truly think the State licensing will be affective.

Seriously. What does it take to be a plumber, electrician, HVAC trades person. They all have steps that must be taken to finally get out there on their own.

Oh, I think I will retire and become a Home Inspector. I can great some great money for easy work and just butter up to some Real Estate Agents and I will be floating in retirement cash and at the least 5 to 8 inspections a week brown nosing. Darn I can do all that buttering and turn down work when I don't want to be that busy.

How many times have you actually heard that and or new for a fact that an individual was thinking it. It is the greatest retirement job one can have and do no real work to get the work besides buttering Realtors and writing some nice stuff in the report even though the home is falling down.

Now, before anyone attacks meet about the Realtor crap again, think real hard about what I wrote. You all know it is true. You all know how often you have heard similar crap about the retirement thing. You all know that something truly has to change so we can be true professionals.

199.00 for all home inspections with no expiration date on that 199.00 Yes there is one in my area doing that crap. Does it steal away work from true professionals? Does it diminish the "Professional" status in "Professional Home Inspectors". Absolutely dam tutin it does. It will always.

How much do Plumbers around here get for a minimum of a half day for one plumber??? Many hundreds of dollars. On a Saturday "After Hours"???About 800 for a half day.

How much does an average 1600 square foot home cost to be inspected in the area? You are lucky to get mid 200s up to 300 max. How long will you take between getting the inspection, traveling to and from the inspection, doing the inspection and then a walk around with the client, doing the report, possible follow up after the report goes out....minimum half a day. A plumber 500 and up. A home inspector 250 and up. He knows plumbing. We know every single trade there is, or should.

Go figure.

State licensing??? Absolutely, but it has to be done right and complete.!!!!!!!!!! No short cuts. If you start out weak it will always be weak.If you start out complete as possible and absolutely independent as possible it will only get even more independent, professional and higher fees.

And the standing President is still standing. Deeper and deeper and deeper we go. Where it stops only one can guess.

Texas has had licensing longer than any state (I think) and it has done absolutely nothing to raise the bar. In fact, it has provided an artificially low threshold for newbies and inspector schools. The schools crank them out as fast as they can get students to put down their money but hen 90% don't renew their license after it expires the first time.
    The bottom line is the only reason the realtor wants to see licensing is because they think it is a way to limit THEIR liability since they only provide the names of LICENSED inspectors to their clients.

I liked the licensing when I started since it lent an air of credibility that I knew what I was doing... Now I realize that and that the public relies on that fallacy when looking at a state issued license for assurance of competency.

If you must get on the licensing band wagon, insist on some sort of apprenticeship program with a seasoned professional inspector and a limit of how many inspectors that seasoned inspector can sponsor. This would help to limit the "churn 'em out" schools from flooding the market with incompetent or ill equipped inspectors fleecing the public.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Next get rid of any association as in our state with the Texas Real Estate Commission being the overseer of home inspectors.
    Not sure how to interpret that - get rid of associations or state agencies governing H.I.s. Our state agency isn't much more than an income producer.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I have held a home inspectors license since 2001 and currently I'm licensed in two states as a home inspector. I was appointed by our Governor to be one of the first five commissioners to serve on the HI board in MS. We basically designed the rules, etc for the license law. We were all home inspectors serving on the board so we all pretty much had the same ideas when it came to what we felt was needed in the law. We took many parts of the law from NC simply because at that time we only had about 5 states that were licensing then.

A good license law needs an education requirement(including CE for renewal); A testing requirement(NHIE); A financial accountability requirement (insurance, not necessarily E&O); and most of all it needs teeth when folks do not follow the law. I don't feel an experience requirement is paramount to a good license law.

At first as Jack noted you will have a flood of folks wanting to get a license, they will and then in a couple of years it will go back down to more realistic numbers. It has happened in every single licensed state.

Licensing home inspectors is more of a feel good action than a save the public action. Sure the a license law will help to deter those with bad intentions or those that are looking for a quick buck, but that is really a side benefit of a good license law. The real benefit as I see it is the home inspector now has written rule and guidelines that they must follow. A good law will also spell out the liability of the inspector and the law can also help to protect a home inspector against frivolous lawsuits. But again, it all depends on how the law/rules are written.

All in all a license law puts the home inspector on the same playing field as other licensed professionals in a state. You are no longer an unlicensed or unregulated business/trade in the eyes of other professionals and sometimes the consumer. I would say that being licensed has actually helped my business by limiting folks from deciding they want to be a home inspector on a whim. It requires some effort and an investment on the part of that individual to get a license in most states now.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Garry Blankenship Guest

Washington St. recently licensed Home Inspectors. It was a problem for me in that I had just completed my training, but that training did not meet the newly established requirements. Hence; the time and expense had to be repeated. Ulitmately; I believe licensing is the way to go. Too many with minimal mechanical inclination, ( or none at all ), and perhaps a home deck install under their belt feel more than qualified to do Home Inspections. The licensing standards require all, ( firemen, retired military and teachers included ), to make a substantial effort beyond saying "I R an Inspector" and hanging out a shingle. The job / task / charge / responsibility / profession is far too important to not have some answerable standards in play.

garry

what else do you have to have besides the license--is there a minimum education hours--insurance--# of inspection completed --yearly ce hours--etc--how much for license and did inspection fees go up???

cvf

TED TED TED

is there a helpful answer in that ramble--please

again all states

have a meeting with this real estate agent 11/13- trying to get HI LICENSED--can you tell me

1] is it a good idea
    2] what does it cost inspectors
    3] did you raise your inspection fee
    4] what requirements did it have--education hours yearly--# of inspections before license approved-insurance- prior training hours,such as approved training class and their certification
    5] state enforcement when caught without
    6] did you see an influx of new inspectors when required

just some thoughts
    i have ILLINOIS-TENN-SO FAR-AND TEXAS

thanks

cvf

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    again all states

have a meeting with this real estate agent 11/13- trying to get HI LICENSED--can you tell me

1] is it a good idea
    4] what requirements did it have--education hours yearly--# of inspections before license approved-insurance- prior training hours,such as approved training class and their certification

just some thoughts

thanks

cvf
    1- depends
    2 - 3000+ per year between insurance and education, fees
    3- yes
    4- initial training, apprenticeship for 25 inspections with sponsor and another 175 of indirect supervision, test, 16 hours per year CE. Apprenticeship requirement has been removed or substantially changed a couple of times since 1995 when I was first licensed.
    5- don't know
    6- don't know

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

thanks jim

is that 3000 for insurance and education a requirement for license

cvf

Nolan Kienitz Guest

CVF,

You and I both had prior lives with AT&T (I was with Labs for 15+ years) ... a whole different lifetime away.

Jim L. and Ted M. have provided some good observations for the Texas stuff we have to deal with.

The TREC Inspectors Advisory Committee just got TREC Commissioners approved for an update SOP and report template. It will be presented at the Texas Register for 60-days and then (depending upon public comments) will be adjusted (if necessary) and then will become the new "law" of how we are required to inspect.

This will be the third or fourth version of SOP and report template that we have had to deal with since TREC got control of the inspectors in Texas.

My caution is who is going to control the licensing of the inspectors and to what set of guidelines (SOP) will be the baseline?

If the state organization also controls the agents/brokers then (in my view) there is one helluva conflict of interest. I would keep as far away from that as possible.

In Texas we have TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission) they license/control: Agents/Brokers, Inspectors, Appraisers and the companies that offer the 'home warranty insurance' packages that most all agents have their clients buy.

Now ... tell me ... where the heck is the clear separation of church/state in that scenario?

We inspectors cannot do squat without approval from the TREC Commissioners and is there even "one" technical person on the Commissioners committee? Absolutely NOT. It is all controlled by Agents/Brokers. They OWN inspectors and inspections in Texas.

BTW - In my 10-years of inspecting in Texas (and being licensed for that entire timeframe) ... I've never had a client ask me if I was "licensed". It does absolutely nothing for your clients.

As noted by Jim & Ted it provides an out for the agent/broker to defer liability, but even they don't spend the time to ask if the inspector's license is current.

I'll get off my soapbox now !!!

nolan

thanks the patrolling of this is also an issue in other states--

who does that agents the DA--that is the main problem i have and the lack of education and insurance

thanks

cvf

thanks jim

is that 3000 for insurance and education a requirement for license

cvf
    I pay $3000 just for insurance but I carry substantially more than the state mandated minimum along with a general liability rider. The CE classes are in addition to that for me. I have no idea what the current costs are for beginners.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Charlie and I belong to the same NAHI chapter here. Many years ago, I had some minor input in an effort to create licensing. At the time the Colorado legislature turned it down, but this attempt may have a better chance.

So, like Charlie, your experiences with licensing is very helpful. And I have a couple of questions for those of you in states with licensing.

1) Did your state "grandfather" in experienced inspectors or did everyone have to take educational courses and/or pass a test?
    2) Does your state require O&E insurance and did requiring O&E insurance lower your rates?
    3) Does your state have a very specific SoP or a standardized inspection and/or report requirement?
    4) What effect has licensing had on the number of claims in your state?
    5) It seems to me that an apprenticeship requirement would help with the quality of new inspectors. How many states require apprenticeship?

Thanks guys.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

nolan

thanks the patrolling of this is also an issue in other states--

who does that agents the DA--that is the main problem i have and the lack of education and insurance

thanks

cvf
    CVF,

In Texas TREC has their own investigative people. Also the Rules are written such that we inspectors are to also be honest and police ourselves ... IE: Turn your fellow inspector in. That's tough to enforce.

As I noted ... TREC has everything other their own roof/span of control AND the TREC Commission is all chaired by agents/brokers.

To get a TREC inspector's license one is required to also provide proof of E&O in a document that has to be sent by the carrier to TREC. Without that document/proof of E&O they will not issue a license.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Charlie and I belong to the same NAHI chapter here. Many years ago, I had some minor input in an effort to create licensing. At the time the Colorado legislature turned it down, but this attempt may have a better chance.

So, like Charlie, your experiences with licensing is very helpful. And I have a couple of questions for those of you in states with licensing.

1) Did your state "grandfather" in experienced inspectors or did everyone have to take educational courses and/or pass a test?
    2) Does your state require O&E insurance and did requiring O&E insurance lower your rates?
    3) Does your state have a very specific SoP or a standardized inspection and/or report requirement?
    4) What effect has licensing had on the number of claims in your state?
    5) It seems to me that an apprenticeship requirement would help with the quality of new inspectors. How many states require apprenticeship?

Thanks guys.
    Lon,

Jim L., Ted M. and other TX inspectors will likely also provide some input to your list. Below is my observation.

1) I was not part of the inspector community when it initially started the licensing program.
    2) E&O (not O&E) is required by the Texas Legislature and one has to have a certain form sent to TREC from their carrier proving they have paid for and have active E&O coverage. No ... mandated E&O does not get any breaks in fees.
    3) See my post elsewhere in this thread RE: SOP. The Texas TREC SOP is the absolute worst and most detailed SOP. The most current (IE: proposed) version is better/cleaner and appears it will be approved and put into Rule by Feb or Mar/2013. Yes, we have a required template that we must follow.
    4) As for claims I can't address that. Such information is held very close to the vest by the carriers. TREC also has a recovery fund that can provide a 'double-dip' in a legal suit along with the inspector's E&O. The recovery fund may go away with the 2013 TX Legislative session, but we don't know for sure.
    5) I've never looked into the TX TREC rules regarding such, but there is a path to licensing that does involve such.

again all states

1] is it a good idea

just some thoughts

thanks

cvf
    1] Some think so and some don't
    2] $300 Lic fee for TN $300 for MS every 2 years.
    3]No most do not raise their fees
    4] Pre lic education 85 hrs in TN by approved school. GL& E&O insurance $300K
    5]State enforcement by lic division. Fines, revoke license, more education, etc.
    6]Yes, the numbers increased and then went down next renewal period.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

thanks scott

good info

again all states

1] is it a good idea
    1) Maybe
    2) Annual fee renewal $165, CE ~$350 for the class plus travel,hotel, etc.
    3) Happened before I got in the biz
    4)1 year apprenticeship, pass state test OR be a General Contractor, Architect, or PE.
    To get your GC license you pass a test and pay $75. No previous experience, no CE, nothing. Guess how most inspectors met the requirement to become an HI?
    5)State enforcement is through the courts but licensing board has no authority over non-licensed offenders.
    6)Yes, there was an influx

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Garry Blankenship Guest

garry

what else do you have to have besides the license--is there a minimum education hours--insurance--# of inspection completed --yearly ce hours--etc--how much for license and did inspection fees go up???

cvf
    120 hours minimum certified classroom training ~ $ 4 K prox
    40 hours minimum field training ~ $ 500 prox
    Take a test w/ a minimum 70% correct - - - $ 300.00 exam fee
    Payment for license - - - $ 680.00
    Insurance = none required
    Previous experience = proof of 200 inspections and and two years minimum experience ~ fees the same for licensing and exam required, ( again $ 300.00 )

I like the licensing. The Real Estate division does a pretty good job of keeping people from doing them with out the license. I think out prices here are reasonable and from what I have heard that only 25% of people that take the required classes go into business. I get calls from California buyer to inspect because they want someone with a license and insurance. It seems I'm lower than the CA inspectors but the cost of living is lower and hour or so away where I am. You can see the NV requirements here. Nevada Real Estate Division

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Lon,

Jim L., Ted M. and other TX inspectors will likely also provide some input to your list. Below is my observation.
    5) I've never looked into the TX TREC rules regarding such, but there is a path to licensing that does involve such.
    I see that Texas has two paths to becoming licensed. Do most new licensees take the education path?

I am anti-licensing. Are they going to market your business for you and pay your employees? I may include whatever I want in my report. I can cite code or include things that others in licensed states cannot include in their reports and summaries. I can make my report template different than my competition. I do not want to give the Realtor association or government control over my business. I don't need to pay extra fees and increase my business operating expenses. I am anti-licensing.

Last edited by Hank Spinnler; 11-11-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: because i felt like it

Lon,
    Yes, they did grandfather inspectors that had been in business for (I think) 3 years and had done at least 250 inspections. They other requirement was that you had to have passed the National Home Inspector Exam. You had to also have insurance.

Hank,
    While you may be against licensing, you may not have any choice at some point. BY the way, not all States dictate how reports are written with the exception that they must meet the minimum SOP. In TN case, its almost a direct copy of the ASHI SOP. But, there is not restriction on what all you can put in the report.

If I not mistaken, Texas is the only State that has a State approved inspection report format. Inspectors from Texas can address how they deal with that.

My additional costs due to licensing is $300 every two years. I had insurance anyway, and I get my continuing education anyway for ASHI. So the increase cost of being licensed is $12.50/month. Not exactly a justification for raising prices.

All is good in AZ, for the public and inspectors.
    I'm more than glad to compete with an inspector that met the states min. requirements of 80 hrs training, 30 ride along inspections, back gound investigation, report review/verification, and passed the NHIE, opposed to competing with someone that took an on-line quiz then call/market themselves a "certified " inspector to the public.

Additional cost.. Lic. and business lic renewal. $90. a year.
    $100,000 E@O or $25,000 bond

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Update: We had our big meeting with the Realtor and state senator who are advancing this effort to create licensing. They were under the impression that we could have something ready to go by Dec 1. It didn't take long to convince them that this was a far more complicated issue than they realized and Dec 1 was unreasonable to expect any kind of quality legislation. Both were reasonable but made it clear that licensing was coming with or without our input. This effort was coming from "above" even though neither had any thing more than anecdotal evidence of a problem with our industry.

So, the nine of us there, representing the "big three" inspector associations, are going to meet in the next few weeks to start the ball rolling. The good news for us is that you guys in other states have already invented this wheel and we can create our wheel based on the work already done.

The fact that legislators et al claiming that there are problems with inspectors, their standards, methods, liabilities et ceteras never are able to produce any documentation to back up that inspectors require licencing.

This effort was coming from "above" even though neither had any thing more than anecdotal evidence of a problem with our industry.
    Okay ... well here is some ammo/facts and not anecdotal for ya ( ), so why don't the legislators get the 'facts' straight before they shoot their mouths off and provide no proof?

2010 Complaint and Inquiry Statistics - Canadian BBB

Up here our government is studying licensing and have used Mike Holmes as a consultant to promote licensing! The guy is not even an inspector nor does he hold any qualifications, nor understand the standards or ethics of the profession.

It was our impression that they had decided that licensing was required and discussion on whether it was necessary was not of interest to them.

It appears that findings of the Belmont Tech College study and reports from other license states (and Canada) are not of interest to them.

Real estate agents, lenders, appraisers, and tradespeople are licensed and so should HIs be licensed. Either we drive the train or get run over by it was the message, even if diplomatically communicated.

The Canadian province of BC has licensing, and this is our 3rd year. We were lucky in that the govt agency took pointers from the 2 strong HI associations. But allowed members from weaker associations as well, and diluted the requirements to boost the numbers, maybe.

We pay the highest licensing fees in the world, over $450/year. This is to finance the administration of the licensing, which is basically a government agency which collects license fees.

The HI associations take care of CE and training, as they were doing before.
    Mandatory E+O has reduced the numbers of part-timers, I think. You now have to be a member of one of the 4 associations.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

HEY ALL

have been reading and reading,trying to read the requirements for all state licensing to take to our meeting. i,ve read states that just gegister HI,{ penn} and licenses them. can you guys tell me how this is really enforced. do you fine unlicensed inspectors and also the real estate agents that hire them. can you ever stop them from inspecting. how is it done in your state.successful or not.

thanks

cvf

Charlie,

I was around Colorado when Loveland was pushing to have registered HI's. When I moved to Washington State I got thrown into the Licensing Advisory Group. It took almost 3 years to get a language we could accept. I would be happy to share that information with you. Just give me a call.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Charlie,

You may have seen this info, but for your enlightenment in case you didn't ...

State Regulation Directory
    How To Become A Home Inspector | Home Inspectors | Home Inspection | NAHI

HEY ALL

have been reading and reading,trying to read the requirements for all state licensing to take to our meeting. i,ve read states that just gegister HI,{ penn} and licenses them. can you guys tell me how this is really enforced. do you fine unlicensed inspectors and also the real estate agents that hire them. can you ever stop them from inspecting. how is it done in your state.successful or not.

thanks

cvf
    The agency that will be over the law needs to be the enforcement arm. The law and rules will define the punishments for violations.

As for unlicensed inspectors being used? This can be done a couple of ways but the most effective is for the real estate agents to be the police. In every single state that I have seen and reviewed their license laws it is against the agents fiduciary duty as defined in their license law for them to use an unlicensed professional in the transaction. It might not be worded that way but generally it is covered and it just needs to be publicized and the word gotten out that the agent will be in violation of their own license law if they use or their client uses an unlicensed inspector.

In MS & TN it is written into the home inspector rules that the agents were responsible for insuring that all home inspectors used by their clients were licensed by the state. This is actually in the HI law and not the real estate agents license law.

The most difficult part of enforcement of any license law is the proof. You have to have that written report, with the date, and other identifying information on it in order to enforce any action against the unlicensed inspector or against a licensed inspector who is screwing up. This is more difficult to obtain than you think.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Update: We had our big meeting with the Realtor and state senator who are advancing this effort to create licensing. They were under the impression that we could have something ready to go by Dec 1. It didn't take long to convince them that this was a far more complicated issue than they realized and Dec 1 was unreasonable to expect any kind of quality legislation. Both were reasonable but made it clear that licensing was coming with or without our input. This effort was coming from "above" even though neither had any thing more than anecdotal evidence of a problem with our industry.

So, the nine of us there, representing the "big three" inspector associations, are going to meet in the next few weeks to start the ball rolling. The good news for us is that you guys in other states have already invented this wheel and we can create our wheel based on the work already done.

OK

So you had a meeting with "Realtor" and a State Senator.

First off the biggest mistake you folks are making is having any Realtor or Realtor association involved in anything to do with the licensing of Home Inspectors.

They should have absolutely nothing to do or influence of the home inspection process or licensing.

One of the biggest mistakes in Texas is that the licensing for Home Inspectors is under The Texas Real Estate Commission which as mentioned earlier has Realtors sitting on that board.

Why everyone wants to go this route with Realtors being involved in anything to do with Home Inspections or Home Inspector licensing is beyond my comprehension.

They are to totally different worlds. Realtors represent the buyer in a home purchase or sale and a Home Inspector Is looking for and reporting concerns in the home that the buyer or selling should be made aware off for their financial best interest.

A Realtor is not a Home Inspector. A Realtor takes absolutely no courses in Home Inspection. A Realtor for the most part do not Know the building industry other than association with the building industry.The only involvement they should have is to add the concerns that a buyer wants fixed or an allowance for and or renegotiate the price based on the "Home Inspectors Findings"

To be able to dictate to or comment on any action from a Home Inspector on what he includes or does not include in his report is absolutely ludicrous.

That is what a completely separate board should be for. Realtors stand to make many many many thousands of dollars off of the sale of the home. They are compilers of information for the client and attorneys and Lenders in some cases.

I inspected a 5300 sq ft home yesterday. The selling agent alone is making a small fortune on that home. My clients contacted me so there could be a complete separation from the Realtor and Home Inspector. That is the case with 80% or more of my clients. If not a whole lot higher percentage than that.

In an hour or so I will be inspecting a 7300 sq ft home. These folks contacted me directly to have a complete separation from Realtor and inspector. A fortune will be made on this sale and the Realtor should have no input in the slightest which inspector should be inspecting the home.

The Realtor for the buyer asked me how the folks found me and I told him previous clients. I also told him that I do not market Realtors for my work. His question to me was "Then how do you get all the work that you do" I told him once again. Past clients and word of mouth thru others that know of me thru someone that had their home inspected. Add a bit of internet and a very slight pinch of Realtors and I manage pretty well. Still shocked and actually annoyed look o his face. The Realtors that refer me I have not talked to directly in so long I almost forget what they look like. A few of them I have not seen or talked to in years.

Forget about all of this Realtor interaction with Home Inspection Licensing. Decision of Home Inspector Licensing. Board sitting on a home inspectors licensing. What a report should look like or what it should include or not include.

Unassociated public folks that have no ties to Home Inspectors or Realtors. A couple of Lawyers thrown into the mixed to keep things legal.

A one year apprenticeship at the least along with courses taken before and during the one year process. Marketing classes taken to not include marketing Realtors. Continuing education for all home inspectors. The full ability for a home inspector to add his knowledgeable opinions on all findings in the home. If he thinks it is a concern for the home buyer then it should be included in the report. That is what he is getting paid for. Yesterday I helped out with a slight redesign for a media room and added whole heartedly my opinions about such.

Home inspectors differentiating whether it is a major concern or minor concern other than explaining to a client about possible simple fixes that are not costly to big expensive fixes. Other than that it should be all inclusive and forget the summary. The report should be the summary. It should be the clients decision as to what goes into a summary that is getting sent off to the seller or listing agent. Not the Realtors decision.

A broken receptacle cover ma be a big concern. Filthy carpet or even light stains should be mentioned as you have no clue as to whether or not they can be cleaned or if it will be acceptable to the buyer....Their choice. Not yours or the Realtors.

Anyways

If you gents are serious about this do not talk to Realtors about this. It is you Home Inspection world and you are there for your client, not a Realtor.

I am not understanding, and the only reason I keep writing, is because I am trying to find the magic reason as to why you want or think a Realtor should be involved in any of this. A meeting with a Realtor and Senator???? How about the Governors office or state licensing board. Have meetings with those folks to put the whole package together to present to the officials in charge of making these new laws that you may want enacted.

Directly to a Senator with a Realtor sitting between you and him???????

Please no bashing of my thoughts about Realtors and such. I know, a lot of you hate my rhetoric about this.

Think about it. Seriously. Stop hugging the Realtors. Unless you think they are hot :-) They have absolutely no place in the matter of Home Inspector licensing and reporting.

Play nice. I named no names and I want to keep it that way. I responded to Lon but it was meant for all to read and think about.

Currently, the Colorado contract allows the buyer to choose his/her inspector whether they choose a professional inspector or uncle bob the contractor.

You bring up an interesting factor that we will have to address.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The agency that will be over the law needs to be the enforcement arm. The law and rules will define the punishments for violations.

As for unlicensed inspectors being used? This can be done a couple of ways but the most effective is for the real estate agents to be the police. In every single state that I have seen and reviewed their license laws it is against the agents fiduciary duty as defined in their license law for them to use an unlicensed professional in the transaction. It might not be worded that way but generally it is covered and it just needs to be publicized and the word gotten out that the agent will be in violation of their own license law if they use or their client uses an unlicensed inspector.

In MS & TN it is written into the home inspector rules that the agents were responsible for insuring that all home inspectors used by their clients were licensed by the state. This is actually in the HI law and not the real estate agents license law.

The most difficult part of enforcement of any license law is the proof. You have to have that written report, with the date, and other identifying information on it in order to enforce any action against the unlicensed inspector or against a licensed inspector who is screwing up. This is more difficult to obtain than you think.
    Scott

Great words as usual.

I do differ a bit (go figure). The absolute only involvement a Realtor should have is to hand the client a legal form stating that it is in the best interest of the client to get a Home Inspector. Also on that piece of paper it should state that the Realtor cannot refer any inspector or inspector association. As far as the licensed part, on that piece of legal paper it should list the website that the Inspectors license can be seen on to see if they even have one.. On that sight immediately after the search for that inspectors license should have a pop up to enter the name of the person and contact info of the person claiming they are in fact licensed.. And then a list of inspectors should pop up on that website of licensed inspectors.

Now the only problem with that as in someone very close to me experienced. That person sent all their CEUs in. They filled out the application for renewal. They paid for their renewal. They sent in their insurance documentation even though the insurance company sends it as well. All of this was done on the exact same day at the exact same time. A receipt was sent back confirming all was received and paid for. All of this the person has all receipts for all this information in hand and this was sent one month to the day before the expiration was to be.

Then this person just received a letter 15 days after the noted date that his license would have expired) stating that there licensed has expired due to non renewal (a month and a half after all was sent in and all receipts were in hand). All inspections must stop. A hundred dollar late filing fee must be sent in with the application along with all CEUs and Insurance info. Your Insurance info cannot be obtained more than 30 days prior to the expiration of you yearly insurance.

Just saying

So much for state licensing.

The Realtor is the one spearheading this effort. Twice before, and years ago, home inspectors tried to initiate licensing legislation in Colorado. Both times, the effort died in the Colorado legislature. As far as we were concerned, this was a dead issue until this Realtor who is a former Realtor Assoc. Prez, notified a few HI association presidents last month, that he had a Senator, lobbyist and backing to create licensing for us.

Ted, you make great points and I actually made similar ones to him and the Senator at our meeting. Home inspectors are the only persons involved in the home buying process, that have only the buyer's interest and no other conflict. Some might and do argue, that keeping agents happy to get their referrals is a conflict of interest, but no agent refers any of us enough business to be worth one law suit.

I disagree with not allowing Realtors to refer or recommend a home inspector. (and yep, most of my business is from agent referrals). Clients hire a real estate agent to help them buy or sell a home and part of that help should be aid with finding a good lender to do the mortgage, a good title company, and yes, a good inspector. Agents, particularly the ones that have been in business for awhile, know who to trust to provide quality service for their clients. They should be able to offer those referrals, imo.

I have never kissed any agent's royal behind and I am happy to say that the agents that I work with, appreciate that about me.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Another nuance that many of us in Texas have experienced is where some realtors have also become licensed inspectors.

Many of these 'inspectors' are embedded with a realty brokerage and such brokerage provides "one stop shopping" for their home buying clients.

Some of these folks are more honest than others about making such affiliations open/clear/transparent and there are just as many who are not so honest.

Goes without saying that most such inspections/reports in such circumstances are fluff to the point that the agent's commission does not get jeopardized.

Trying to police such is difficult when the licensing agency is owned/operated by the 'real estate' side of the industry.

Just another layer of "stuff" to deal with.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Assuming the folks get the information assembled and posted today I'll be posting on another thread the new/proposed Texas TREC SOP and TREC 7-3 Report Template and Rules associated for same.

This has been a two-year process by the SOP Sub-Committee of the IAC (Inspector's Advisory Committee) at TREC.

The TREC Commission provided the "go-ahead" a week ago and the proposed documents will be posted in the Texas Register for 60-days for public comment.

There may be some changes following such a time frame (usually there are none) and then the new SOP, Rules and 7-3 Template will become the new law/rules that we inspectors have to follow.

None of this would have gotten this far without approval from the agents/brokers that chair the TREC Commission. They and TREC staff had input as to how the template looks, what basic text has to be in the template and so on.

I watched a video of one meeting from last summer where the TREC Commission was grilling the sub-committee chair about why did we (inspectors) have to be so technical? Why couldn't we concern ourselves with more cosmetic things rather than all the technical stuff? She said her clients (she was from West Texas) didn't care about the technical stuff as it was confusing.

Just keep such in mind when dealing with such an atmosphere of having your industry controlled by agents/brokers and such. It is not 'clean'.

Garry Blankenship Guest

The reality of license enforcement is that it is weak at best. There may be a designated entity with enforcement responsibility, but budgets dictate that you will never see any pro-active effort. When a home buyer victimized by an unqualified inspector complains they might get some action, but otherwise that inspector is good to go. I like Scott's suggestion that Realtors should share in the responsibility for appropriately licensed inspectors. Not only because they are dominate referral sources, but they can educate buyers with their own inspectors to the requirement for and value in licensed inspectors. There should be some verbiage to that end in the Realtor / Buyer contracts.

Things are different in Texas. When my brother and I sold, our parent's home in Lubbock, I was astonished when our agent (who was double ending the sale) told me that she had advised the buyers that they didn't need an inspection.

Still, we have airhead agents here too and more than once, I have had to explain to an agent why something is important. (They weren't all blonds)

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    The reality of license enforcement is that it is weak at best. There may be a designated entity with enforcement responsibility, but budgets dictate that you will never see any pro-active effort. When a home buyer victimized by an unqualified inspector complains they might get some action, but otherwise that inspector is good to go. I like Scott's suggestion that Realtors should share in the responsibility for appropriately licensed inspectors. Not only because they are dominate referral sources, but they can educate buyers with their own inspectors to the requirement for and value in licensed inspectors. There should be some verbiage to that end in the Realtor / Buyer contracts.

That is exactly why they should be left out of it all together. As in the letter I commented on them giving clients. State they need a home inspection. State that by law they can not refer in anyway at all. State the website they can check an inspectors license status.

I watched the same video of the Realtor asking about why we need to get into the technical stuff. Sitting on the board. Deciding what we write and how we write it and how our Report should look.

Come on now. Seriously ?????????????? And they should be an integral part of the home inspection and referral business.

And they are over us and we are their subs?????????.

Forget the Realtors involved in your decision making. It will not, does not and will never work.

Up here we had one half ass HI association hold a licencing symposium wherein the executive of CREA (Cdn Real Estate Assoc) who was the MC get up and said that she would use her members clout to have home inspectors licenced because this association thought it was a good idea. The association wanted nothing more than to have its entry requirements used as the measuring rod for licencing and wanting its foot in the door above all others.

Needless to say that attempt went over like a lead balloon because a number of us who attended made a big stink and wrote letters to CREA telling them what we thought.

It's hard, if not impossible, for politics to stay out of the process.

Eddie Patin Guest

Increasing regulation is NEVER a good thing.

Some inspectors have already made the point that the sudden requirement of licensing means that more bad inspectors will market more effectively behind such licensing. Just like with certifications. Only now it will be the state trying to get a piece of the pie, and the industry will favor more the inspectors willing to fork over the cash instead of focusing on business ethics and the responsibility to investigate an inspector/company before doing business.

This is bad news.

Has licencing driven up E&O premiums vs. those with E&O in non licenced states to anyones knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Has licencing driven up E&O premiums vs. those with E&O in non licenced states to anyones knowledge?
    From what I have seen E&O has gone down over the past few years, I don't think it matters if it is a licensed state or not.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

If you get the basics 100,000 dollar requirement and you get some general liability insurance you looking at about 1000 dollars to 1200.

"the state trying to get a piece of the pie,"

With all the lack of tax revenue, this appears to be a tax on home inspectors.
    If a "HI" starts a business with no experience, his reputation soon gets around and he doesn't get much business or goes out of business. However if they have the experience, training, certifications, and let's not forget people skills and marketing ability to build a successful business then they may make a success of it.
    I get the question all the time of "are handy men good to use"? I respond with "not all handy men are bad, and not all licensed contractors are good". Same with HI "not all licensed home inspectors are good and not all unlicensed HI are bad".
    I truly believe that I have an unending source of work as a HI because of all the bad repair work be it licensed or unlicensed.

That's my experience.

Greg Filian
    http://www.MobileHomeInspectors.com
    714 612-3564

Garry Blankenship Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    That is exactly why they should be left out of it all together. As in the letter I commented on them giving clients. State they need a home inspection. State that by law they can not refer in anyway at all. State the website they can check an inspectors license status.

I watched the same video of the Realtor asking about why we need to get into the technical stuff. Sitting on the board. Deciding what we write and how we write it and how our Report should look.

Come on now. Seriously ?????????????? And they should be an integral part of the home inspection and referral business.

And they are over us and we are their subs?????????.

Forget the Realtors involved in your decision making. It will not, does not and will never work.
    It would not be my choice that Realtors should be a part of the referral process and we neither are nor should be their subs. If a client of yours asks for a contractor referral and you provide one, does that mean the contractor licks your boots ? However; convince anyone, including me, that Realtors are not dominate referral sources. Realtors setting standards for inspectors is not my/the intent. Making them aware of and accountable to liscensing requirements is. They are heavily involved in the process. Better to educate them and strive for some quality control than to complain about the bad ones.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    It would not be my choice that Realtors should be a part of the referral process and we neither are nor should be their subs. If a client of yours asks for a contractor referral and you provide one, does that mean the contractor licks your boots ? However; convince anyone, including me, that Realtors are not dominate referral sources. Realtors setting standards for inspectors is not my/the intent. Making them aware of and accountable to licensing requirements is. They are heavily involved in the process. Better to educate them and strive for some quality control than to complain about the bad ones.
    I respect your ideas Gary but no matter how much you or anyone for that matter tries to play it down this still leaves the Realtors overseers of Home Inspectors. We are on a very slow road here in Texas to be released from the Realtors grip and control. We still have to get a SUPRA key through a Real Estate association but we no longer have to rely on them to be available to get a code from them. We now have our own. If you could have heard some of the retoric that came from them, much like yours (no insult intended), about giving up control to just anybody. Yes , the inspectors, just anybody. If in fact you really new what the realtors talk about when it comes to home inspectors and the home inspection process and how most go about picking "their" inspectors you would be shocked. I have a few Realtor folks or should I say ex Realtor folks that I know. I have heard a hundred stories. Their little puppy dog inspector and so on. Like begging for a bone.

I am not questioning the fact at all, that for the mass majority of inspectors, there would be temporary starvation and mass hysteria if they lost 90% of their work due to Realtors not being able to refer them. But in a short time all the work would come back in the way of the normal marketing sources out there. You were taught as most inspectors were taught that they must market Realtors because they hold the purse strings. It is a known fact that they do. I just rely on a mass of past clients for referrals. Realtors percentage has almost but disappeared as the way the work comes to me. The percentage is so small it is not worth mentioning. More like a complete reverse of what most inspectors have.

You wan the Realtor to be in charge of looking up the license number of an inspector that a client chooses???? Seriously. That keeps them forever in charge. The ability to add other comments about particular inspectors they do not agree with and a report stile that serves a client extremely well and an inspector that 99.9 % of all clients are extremely happy with.

Gotta Go Gary. I carried this on way to far. No matter what you suggest it is still leaving the Realtors in charge. After all. Who better than to police the Home inspection business than Realtors since that is where 90% of most home inspectors work comes from, Ay.

This is why the Realtor connection will still take decades to remove from the home inspection business. Too many individuals count on their livelihood from them.

Oh, wait, that is what the problem is already and has been since home inspection started. Realtors in the business of not just home inspection but control and overseeing of inspectors. Lets just add policing of home inspectors!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously?????

Just some more food for thought. They need to be completely removed from the Home Inspection business. Not add more duties to it for them which will do nothing but give deeper control. Over something they no nothing about.

The first inspection I did I was 20. I am 58 closing in on 59. I think I might know just a bit more what may be best for the home inspection industry than a Realtor....yeah think????

Anyway. I have to finish both yesterdays report and today's report. Damn, I just came back to reality. The Realtor today has not used me for years. Guess what I just inspected for her. Literally for her. She is buying a home that her son is eventually going to buy from her.

Go figure huh!!!! Lets see. The first thought for her and her son was me. Not the first thought for her regular clients. What the heck might that be all about????? I think it has something to do with the easiest route to go and the less road blocks.

I respect your thoughts Gary. I really do. But in these decades doing this thing I do you will never convince me that Realtors have any place what so ever in the home inspection business.

My advice is to hire a lobbyist who has connections in your State. Whatever the cost is it will keep you from being steamrolled by the realtors. Most state licensing attempts fall flat because inspectors have so many diverse ideas about what they would like to see in a licensing program that the effort usually falls flat and others who are more organized take over the program. Inspectors begin to do the pro and con fight about licensing. Realtors are connected both in their states and nationally.

Speaking of Realtor influence(s) of inspectors, I was taken aback by the number of inspectors who openly advertise on their websites that they are members of the local real estate associations/bodies.

I guess we know who is licking whose boots, eh?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Speaking of Realtor influence(s) of inspectors, I was taken aback by the number of inspectors who openly advertise on their websites that they are members of the local real estate associations/bodies.

I guess we know who is licking whose boots, eh?
    Having to be in association as in for your association dues to get your SUPRA (what a scam that is) SUPRA is one thing and mentioning something to the fact so you can ward off offenses is one thing. Licking bbbbbbababbaaaabbabaackaakkakakkakakkassssiides is another. That is a lot of Realtors for some folks as in explaining that stutter.

Back to the scam of having to pay dues to a Realtor association so you can get a SUPRA????? I am quite sure 200 a year is way way way over what admin cost there may be. We pay about 200 a year for the privilege of going to the Realtors Association to pay another 200 to get our Supra for the year.

As far as what John Ghent said. Very unfortunately most inspectors get almost all their work thru their favorite Realtors as in the Realtors favorite inspectors to ever even dream of anytime in my life time to see a complete separation.

Same thing in voting John. Lets see. Bail my company out and then bail my retirement fund that went south out, and I will vote for you. Be in favor or federal workers pay and raises and benefits as in fantastic plans but in the same breath say that we cannot afford to pay everyone's insurance and retirement and all those other benefit.

Gov work use to be lower pay in lieu of great benefits and retiring. Now it has become greaterrrrrrr pay and fantastic benefits.

Lets see. You feed me and my family and give me a great retirement and I can also afford great benefits and all I have to do is work for you....I mean my family.....oh I mean the client. I am not sure why there is not a hoard of Inspectors lobbying to work "under" the Realtors and get a flat fee depending on the size of the home and extras. Then they have to do nothing but get up and go do an inspection or two every single day and no advertising or marketing of any kind.

The realtors could even limit who works under them in their office ( Gee, they do that already) Limit the total amount of inspectors (gee they do that already by feeding those they want to) Control what goes into a report (hm, do hat already) Sit on a board over the Inspectors ( damn I am running out of things here. They do that already too).

Oh well. I guess things must just stay the way they are.

ted

wtf- are you on something . can you please stop intercepting every thread on how you hate real estate agents and how you don,t take agents referrals and then you do but not many. so bull ****

can you please add something constructive to this thread, or stay off it. you seem to think you are the greatest inspector in the world and do not need agent help. remember we do not get work without real estate agents selling homes. i have asked for information on being licensed and what we here in colorado should be doing --NOT YOUR EVER CRAP ON HATING AGENTS AND YOU DON,T NEED THEM. PLEASE --seems you have so much time time to write endless ramble words. during those times you claim to be doing 7300 sq foot homes

help out or find another thread to bore us with

cvf

Ted Menelly Guest

ted

wtf- are you on something . can you please stop intercepting every thread on how you hate real estate agents and how you don,t take agents referrals and then you do but not many. so bull ****

can you please add something constructive to this thread, or stay off it. you seem to think you are the greatest inspector in the world and do not need agent help. remember we do not get work without real estate agents selling homes. i have asked for information on being licensed and what we here in colorado should be doing --NOT YOUR EVER CRAP ON HATING AGENTS AND YOU DON,T NEED THEM. PLEASE --seems you have so much time time to write endless ramble words. during those times you claim to be doing 7300 sq foot homes

help out or find another thread to bore us with

cvf
    Hey Charlie

Hows it going

I am glad you pay attention. You just don't follow things that well but hey, who cares. Oh well, I hope all is Good. You have a good night now hear!

Oh yeah. Don't hate the Realtors or much of anybody Charlie. That would not be the good man that I am. I just believe that there needs to be a separation. Hm. Its seems many others do. What do you think that is all about.

Hey, by the way. Did you get off all those thank you letters to all those Realtors for feeding you this year. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings Charlie.

Just sayin! Have a good night now. I think I'll go look at the big screen a for a while.

ted

what are you watching . realtor hate channel or your own -I AM THE GREATEST INSPECTOR IN THE COUNTRY

CVF, The other Ramsey inspector is right about NC licensing. I have been an inspector since before we were licensed. I'll add is that there was a influx of HI to the industry when we became licensed. Prices did go down and are still down. This year the state upped the CE from 12-16 hrs and requires GL insurance. GL is not that expensive and you can take CE online so expect for the cost I don't think it has kept many out. I feel the loss of inspectors has been due to the economy. We lost about 25%+ NC and my area , near Charlotte, has been hit hard. 75%+ of my inspections are on short sales and foreclosures. One thing to strive for is trying to make it part of your law to make it illegal for HI to solicit Realtors and for Realtors to even mention an inspector or give out a list, like the did the appraisers for the mortgage brokers. Realtors should not be part of the inspection process, referrals or planning regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by ren ramsey View Post
    One thing to strive for is trying to make it part of your law to make it illegal for HI to solicit Realtors and for Realtors to even mention an inspector or give out a list, like the did the appraisers for the mortgage brokers. Realtors should not be part of the inspection process, referrals or planning regulation.
    I would pass on that idea Mr. Ramsey. I would oppose licensing as well.

My business is running along smoothly without more government regulation and without Realtor involvement regarding proposed licensing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast