Stephen G Guest

Default Repeat home inspection...

We all have our first milestone and special times.. the first inspection, double digits and a death house crime scene...

Well I just booked an inspection on a home I inspected back in July....

So I have decided that I won't read the report I wrote...I will write it up and just before I click send I will read the the July report....see what was missed, what did I over talk abut etc....fun and scary at the same time...

Any other approaches you guys use for this situation????

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Repeat home inspection...

This is not a contest of find Waldo.
    Read the previous report now.

Do you think your Doctor should read your medical file before a diagnosis is made, of course you do.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Stephen G Guest

Interesting point Rick...

Darrel Hood Guest

Without a doubt, I would read the earlier report prior to the inspection. There's is nothing to lose and much to gain.

I agree that you need to read the report... Don't be surprised or embarrassed if you find something that you overlooked or has changed since your last visit, it happens. Nobody but you will know if you found something that you did not see on the first visit.

Going into the inspection with prior knowledge is golden!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

It is a learning opportunity. Take the first report with you. Do a full inspection then compare the first report to the findings of the second. You have no true way of determining your abilities short of having someone do an inspection at the same time and then compare notes.

Reading the first report will jade your second inspection. Find out if you have any shortcomings that need to be addressed.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Definitely read your first report. It's like being able to go back in time.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Nick,
    Before or after the second inspection and why ?

Find out as much as you can before you inspect, and that includes old reports and all the pics you took. Something may be changing, a stain that wasn't there last summer.

It's not about you, it is about service to your clients.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

This comes up for me regularly. As I do my forms in my mini lap top I pull up the old inspection and keep it in the back ground and continuously compare. Sometimes things have been repaired, sometimes there are more things because the house has been lived in again.

Agreed that the more info the better and it's about the clients needs.

Greg Filian
    http://www.MobileHomeInspectors.com
    714 612-3564

Stephen G Guest

Well that's kinda my thought process...i feel competent and confidant ( not cocky) with my skills to do it this way...now I am on the fence...

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    It is a learning opportunity. Take the first report with you. Do a full inspection then compare the first report to the findings of the second. You have no true way of determining your abilities short of having someone do an inspection at the same time and then compare notes.

Reading the first report will jade your second inspection. Find out if you have any shortcomings that need to be addressed.

Stephen,
    I think the crux of the question posed is that it is the first time back on a previous inspection. Which offers a learning opportunity.

Reading the first report will speed up the inspection but I do not think that is what you are after. As for others, I still would say to look at the first report after the inspection (while still on site). The concept being that not to repeat a bad inspection. But to develop a better inspection methodology.

Stephen G Guest

The results...

I took about ten more pics than normal..I picked up several items that were new, I caught everything I caught the first time, as they were not fixed or replaced. Compounding the HRV still not working the windows are now raining and the mold is building up at the bottoms of the windows. My glasses and camera fogged up for a few minutes till they warmed up

My exercise was a success. I do feel that my technique is working and that i am going in the correct direction.

Should this situation arise again, I will not hesitate to read the previous report.

thank you all for playing...I learned lots..

Stephen,
    I would still say to not read the original report till after you do the second inspection, at least for 2 or three more occurrences. Just to test yourself for consistency.

Fwiw

I always let my clients know if I have inspected the house on previous occasions.

Stephen G Guest

I am on the fence wondering if I would attempt this again, it is a bit stressfull. making darn sure you dont mis anything...

This insp had another first, I never saw or even talked to the client...The Realtor asked if I was avail, yes, gave me the gents email address, sent off contract, he scanned and returned it....inspection complete, paid, he gets the report...no questions at all...not to me, the realtor fielded them all....deal done...

I have an inspection this afternoon just down the street...its a good week

Stephen,
    That is the idea. Testing your self till you are not stressed and don't miss anything either the first time or the second. You will develop a deserved confidence. But from time to time you still should test yourself to make sure that your confidence is not ego.

I recently did an inspection wherein the listing agent sent me a copy of a complete Detail and Summary report that was done in September. The entire report was 13 pages with a total of 14 items listed in Summary (one of the worst reports I have ever seen in so far as quality, content, photos, etc.) I read over the report highlighting those few items prior to my inspection.

My report.....a 28 page Summary with 77 items to be addressed...including the HVAC which had an electrical fire during the inspection......you just never know.

I would read the report....even if it was you who did that previous inspection!

Ted Menelly Guest

I both agree and disagree a bit with everyone else.

I feel that if you know yourself very very well reading the report first before doing the inspection may or may not hinder the outcome of the inspection.

When you start looking at something you may blow right thru it because you are following the same steps as before whether you read the report first or not. Depending on your personality type you may just blow the rest of any possible findings off thinking nothing has changed and go on with the next item.

Do your inspection. Take your normal second look as you should. I always walk the entire home and property first and then go about my inspection. This gives me other locations to possibly look at other areas regarding say the plumbing or foundation or electric. After you are satisfied you are done then go over the report that you did previously. Do not let that inspection report lead you anywhere. Don't let that report sway you in any way.

I have folks wanting to hand me paper work first before I do my inspection. I wait until after I am done.

Yup...stain taken care of in the living room ceiling and I saw no evidence of concern when I was in the attic. etc etc etc

Yup.... cracked brick work on the left side of the home. They never did fix those mortar cracks.

You are wanting to see if your inspection process and methods have changed/improved. You read the report first and you will be going right to those items and who knows, maybe walking right past something else. I find it a challenge to do the inspection first and find out just how good or bad I did the first inspection.

After this has happened a few times you may want to go it a bit different.

Challenge yourself on this one and see exactly how you have improved/or not. It will be fun.

Just an observation about the absentee client. Get a phone number of the client if at all possible. Call them at a reasonable hour in the evening, their time. Review the inspection report with them. Try to cover the whole thing in about 15 minutes, and if they need any help to please call. It is important for them to picture you as a person that has tried to help them in their purchase.

I personally will always read old reports and look at pics before I head in. It doesn't stop me from finding new things, In fact, it gives me more time to dig deeper, knowing in advance what was there before.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I've been inspecting full time for 12 years now and am pretty sure if I went to the same house a few months apart the reports would look different. There are just too many variables - weather conditions, accessibility of the house, distractions and by far the most obvious.... me. I'm just a human and a house is a pretty complex thing. It's just a fact of life that we will see and digest things differently on different days.

My take on this has always been that you should always (or as close to it as possible) come up with the big ticket items - water intrusion, structural defects, roof stuff, siding stuff, big safety stuff, etc.

All the other stuff may cost you some money but won't bankrupt you.

I'll often get a job where either myself, my company or another inspector's report is put in front of me. I'll typically read it through quickly before the job and than do my inspection. I'll than look it over again after my inspection but before I've left the property and before I've sent a report just to be sure there isn't anything huge I need to look over while I'm still at the house. Unless there is a HUGE discrepency I don't change what I would normally report.

Overall, I'd say plugging your ears and putting blinders on as you go into a house is not a good thing. The bottom line is you owe your client the best information you're able to give them.... whatever tools you have to use to get it.