Default Name this roof (please)

What is a good description or name for the end of a shed roof that extends beyond the house wall? The pic is of a shed roof porch cover that has a boxed eave at the rake end. Flying shed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Name this roof (please)

I would just call it the boxing of the shed roof?
    In my opinion it is a shed roof with a false gable.

The overhanging portion of the right side of the front porch roof needs repair.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I was kinda hoping for something you would see in a glossary of terms. (e.g. clipped gable, girkin head, winged gable, dutch hip....)

For now it looks like i'll use " the top right corner of the shed roof...."

If you don't like shed you can call it a pent roof, AFAIK they are the same just a different name. Good luck finding anybody that knows what a pent roof is in this neck of the woods.

Front porch roof? Does it matter the technical or construction style?

Anyway, on another matter concerning the roof - those shingles sure look like certain type or run of shingles (about 20 years old) that had manufacturing defects which used a particularly strong glue strip which would tear the shingles in a diagonal fashion up the roof. I see these defective type shingles fairly often here in California. Just wondering if you have the similar type of problem with defective shingles in your area and whether this may be that type. How old was the house or roof if you were to guess...or if its on a transfer disclosure statement?

Chris,
    It is a 2001 house and the roof looked very good other than the damaged shingles and lack of flashing in the picture. The reason I was searching for a name for that part of a shed roof is because I see them often and was sure there must be a name. Common or free standing shed as opposed to attached or abutted???? Some trade has been calling it something descriptive for donkeys years I'm sure. Kinda sounds like Chris McIntires "pent roof" might be a free standing description, as in "pent house".

I don't think I have seen the faulty shingles you describe, do you have any pic's?

Vern, sorry for the delay getting back about the defective shingle pictures. I don't see them too much anymore because they get replaced pretty quickly when the damage is found, and I believe the manufacturers have corrected the problem - the glue strip wont let go during expansion/contraction. I have had to search some old inspection photos.
    The shingles tend to tear diagonally up the roof. The glue strip on the shingles apparently is stronger than the shingle fabric and the shingles tear when subjected to hot and cold during the season changes, causing the shingles to split or tear - the glue strip does not let loose of the underlying shingle and it rips. The pictures don't come out well because of the difficulty of seeing the tear -normally at the stices, but I found some pictures of the field that was torn here. Sometimes, as in the one picture you can see where someone has tried to mastic the torn shingles.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

The rafter that extends past a gable roof or a shed roof end wall is called a barge rafter probably because it "floats out there". The part of the roof that extends past a gabe or shed roof end wall is simply called the overhang. If a gable roof has a another tiny roof at the bottom cornice that runs perpendicular to the main roof for a foot or two along the gable wall it is called a return.