Question US Inspect Offer-relocation inspections

I recently received an email from US Inspect "offering" relocation inspections in my area wherein they will pay $150 for each relocation inspection. Is that fee in addition to what I would normally charge on that inspection or are they simply offering the laughable fee of $150 for my services?

I tried looking up similar posts on this subject but could either not find anything, or may not know how to do a search on this site, so I apologize if I overlooked something.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: US Inspect Offer-relocation inspections

Maybe a silly question.
    Why not ask them directly what they are offering and the terms/conditions???

You ever get on the phone with someone trying to selll you the next big thing...like advertising your business as an "exclusive"? Figured someone might have a quicker answer and would not be tied to them....silly response?

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Greg, that is the fee they will pay you. No more, no less. They might throw you a bone for mileage but you'd have to ask them. I did some relo work when I first started inspecting for another company (not US Inspect) and was paid the princely sum of $140.00 per house. The pay sucked but I was just starting out. It was good experience and it helped pay bills so my first year was a break even and not a loss. They sent me all over the place too. I once drove 70+ miles one way for a 10-15 minute stucco ID inspection and was paid $75.00 for it. Our son was wasn't even 1 year old at the time so the way I looked at it was that $75.00 would buy 3 big cans of baby formula.

If you are an established inspector, you probably won't want to do it. I did manage to start squeezing more money out of them per inspection but then they started sending me fewer jobs. Eventually I got busy enough with inspections I was booking myself for my business to stop the relo jobs altogether.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Thanks Nick! I realize, especially in these times that a dollar is a dollar, but certainly not worth it when you consider the fuel costs, travel time, etc. I appreciate your candid response to this.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Subick View Post
    I recently received an email from US Inspect "offering" relocation inspections in my area wherein they will pay $150 for each relocation inspection. Is that fee in addition to what I would normally charge on that inspection or are they simply offering the laughable fee of $150 for my services?

I tried looking up similar posts on this subject but could either not find anything, or may not know how to do a search on this site, so I apologize if I overlooked something.

Thanks!
    I got the same email. They are fishing for a hungry home inspector who wants to work for chump change. Anyone that would work for US Inspect for that fee is an idiot! You as the licensed inspector assume all of the liability and expenses for them and they make the profit.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I don't know about you guys, but I was contacted back in the Summer by US Inspect and was asked to do an Inspection in Oklahoma. The initial fee was really low, but I told them I would be happy to complete an inspection for them for my normal fee. I submitted it to them, then the next day, got a call that they agreed to my fee but said they would have to have my Tax ID number in order to pay me as an Independent Contractor. I completed the inspection using the forms they sent me and submitted the photographs they indicated they needed at a minimum in addition to those additional I felt was needed. After emailing the Inspection Forms and sending the Photos in a Zip File, the next day I received confirmation that payment had been sent. Check arrived 3 days later. First time I have dealt with them.... but haven't heard back from them since. Guess my rates were too high

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

I have had nothing but good experiences with U S Inspect. I usually ask for and get an extension on the need-by-date to work it in with something else in the area.

I would have to agree Duane, everyone that I dealt with was very pleasant and professional. Good experience overall, just haven't heard back from them,can't help but believe it was due to my rates.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Smith View Post
    I would have to agree Duane, everyone that I dealt with was very pleasant and professional. Good experience overall, just haven't heard back from them,can't help but believe it was due to my rates.
    I agree that US Inspect is a professional company and they have some great folks working for them. I have over the past 15+ years even done some inspections for them but they also paid my normal fees for those inspections. If they are in a bind and have nobody in their network they will pay higher fees as they have no choice.

What they are trying to do now is expand their network and you can't fault them for that. They are being upfront and tell you in advance what the fee is going to be. It's just too bad that those fees are so low. The old saying of you get what you pay for is very true!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    ..... It's just too bad that those fees are so low. The old saying of you get what you pay for is very true!
    Yep, been there. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...inspected.html

I took my time when I did relo inspections despite the crap pay and used them as opportunities to learn. Obviously not every inspector does.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

There is another company I have been receiving calls from. Spectrum. They want occupancy inspections done. Sounds easy enough (not including drive time less than an hour for the inspection and the data upload on their website) until they get to what they pay.... ready for this? $7.00. I asked their rep who would work for that? Ohhh, we have lots of people who are more than willing to work for $7.00. I politely suggested she call them.

I have found them very easy to deal with. When they first contacted me they offered me a set amount (the same $150.00). I told them that I would be glad to do the inspections at my regular fee, they agreed. I have had a great relationship with them day 1.

Hans Cramer
    Cramer Inspection Group
    Vermont Home Inspection | Vermont Home Inspectors | Cramer Home Inspection Group Inc. | Vermont Foreclosures

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Penn View Post
    There is another company I have been receiving calls from. Spectrum. They want occupancy inspections done. Sounds easy enough (not including drive time less than an hour for the inspection and the data upload on their website) until they get to what they pay.... ready for this? $7.00. I asked their rep who would work for that? Ohhh, we have lots of people who are more than willing to work for $7.00. I politely suggested she call them.
    I say good for the people that will do them, or anything else to support themselves , opposed to me paying for them to sit aound the TV , collect welfare , and eat twinkies all day while complaining about how the lifes not fair.
    A few years ago I almost took a AM paper route that took 3 hrs a day 7 days a week, and pd something like $400. a month BF gas and 15,000 mi a year wear and tear on the car.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Ted Menelly Guest

US inspect has some pretty high fees fir their inspections. If they do not have a franchise in the area then they need to refuse the work and it will pass to a local instead of the local getting a third of the inspection fee and again taking all liability.

How does your insurance company like the idea of you doing work for someone else. Are they going to cover you if you happen to be so unlucky as to actually screw up or are they not going to cover you at all. You can bet that working for s third fee US inspect or anyone else is going to dump the liability on you for sure.

Corporate has a contract with a relocation company which is probably owned by the same company just as CWB and US inspect are owned by the same company. Gees, don't get me started on those ethics issues. US gets massive referrals from CWB. Gees, I think even C21 is owned by the same company. Talk about a bunch of folks in bed with one another. Yeah yeah, I know. You can beet on me a bit now.

Just a couple questions you may want to ask your insurance company. And yourself!

I am new to the inspection business, 7 months. Maybe this would help me fill in the blanks between inspections, although the money is no where Near the amount that I charge, but it is better than sitting home. Comments? Recommendations?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Henry A Scheyer 3rd View Post
    I am new to the inspection business, 7 months. Maybe this would help me fill in the blanks between inspections, although the money is no where Near the amount that I charge, but it is better than sitting home. Comments? Recommendations?
    You have made it to the ranks or "Professional" Home Inspector.

Would any professional on the planet make 150 dollars for a half days work. Plus you take all the liability. Your time, your gas, your liability.

This is from a company that says to a relocation company that they will take all their work even though they cannot do it. They are getting probably double what you are or would be getting. And this is all from another "Professional" Home Inspector.

Its wonderful if it can help you out but personally I would go somewhere working part time before I did my profession for such a fee.They have absolutely no expense in your area for marketing of any sorts. NO gas, no office, nothing. If someone is not happy with the inspection and they holler about it you bet you take the fall. Even if you did a great inspection. the money being returned will come out of your pocket, not theirs. Then you work for free and the other company keep the cash.

As I said in my last post. Will your insurance cover you even though you are subcontracting, so to speak, from another company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    You have made it to the ranks or "Professional" Home Inspector.

Would any professional on the planet make 150 dollars for a half days work. Plus you take all the liability. Your time, your gas, your liability.
    I agree with this today. 12 years ago when I was getting started and the phone did not ring for days, I was more than glad to have the opportunity to work for another comany for $150. per inspection.
    Looking back I also think it helped make me a better inspector by having a mentor to call if I ran into something that I wasn't sure how to report it.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

I did jobs for US Inspect for many years but stopped several years ago because of other commitments.
    First, and foremost, while it is considered a HI, it is not as in depth as a buyers inspection. They want you to do major components only; forget about the small stuff. It's a checklist type report done on site.
    It usually took me about 1 hour, maybe 1 1/2 hours to do the inspections. For the longer inspections and travel time, I got paid extra.
    I did thousands of inspections and got maybe 5 calls that I had to go back and check something out because the buyers inspection 'found' something I 'missed' ( I got paid to go back). All of the times I got called back, the buyers inspector didn't know what he/she was talking about.

If your just starting out, do them, take your time, do a good inspection and learn from them.
    If you've been in the business awhile, it's not too bad money for a such a short time.

I ain't bitchin, and I'm one of the highest priced inspector in my area.

US Inspect is First class in my book.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Corporate has a contract with a relocation company which is probably owned by the same company just as CWB and US inspect are owned by the same company.
    Ted, unless USI was bought by someone in the last year, I don't believe they're owned by anyone else. I worked for them years ago before going on my own.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    Ted, unless USI was bought by someone in the last year, I don't believe they're owned by anyone else. I worked for them years ago before going on my own.
    The same company or mother company if you will owns both US Inspect and Coldwell Banker. I do believe C21 is also owned by the same company. Check it out. I am on my way out.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    Sorry had to pop out and came back for a sec. I new I had this somewhere. I will try to find the most recent later

http://www.nachi.org/documents/us-in...ss-release.pdf

Anywho. They have been sleeping together for years making profit for one another. Just one of those wonderful relationships that should not be allowed. Both companies making profits from the other and mass inspections worth millions over the years to US inspect.

You just cannot make this stuff up.. The relationship has blossomed but hidden in the back ground for years so buyers just don't hear this. Now are you folks upright and honest folks, sure. Mom just isn't

No home inspection company that is making profits and paying profits to and from the same company that owns the Real Estate Companies, and many of them, should be allowed to happen.

You will find that CB and US inspect have been involved with many a law suits over the years and the funny part is that they are not actually listed in the suits as being in business with one another.

Gotta go back to work. See Yeah. Have a wonderful day folks.

George Russell Guest

I got the call as well. When I reminded them that I was in Texas they stuttered and said...yes and we will be required to use the TREC form/sop for the inspections. I laughed and wished them well. There is NO way to make any money using the TREC form and SOP for $150.00
    In My Opinion

Ted Menelly Guest

Anyway

Mortgage company
    Multiple Real Estate companies
    Title company
    Home Inspection company

And a slew of other companies are all under one roof. Separate corporate names and entities and Realistically all the same company. A one stop shop they call it for all the home buying and selling needs and they all push the other companies of course and never disclose which companies are owned and or operated or are making profits on the sales of home from the other companies etc etc etc etc.

These are some of the Realty companies now under a different banner but it is still Cendant for all intent and purposes. They use to be one larger big company with everything from hotels to real Estate and a multitude of others. The split it into 4 entities to appeal to stock holders and grow each entity into there own megalith.

These companies are now under the Realogy banner. As 0f 2005

• Century 21 Real Estate
    • Coldwell Banker
    • Coldwell Banker Commercial
    • ERA Real Estate
    • Sotheby's International Realty
    • Corcoran Group
    • Citi-Habitats
    Just sayin!!!

I wont go on and on about all the other corporate scams from a multitude of other large companies and small companies all profiting and gaining from one thing

The home buyer. And it is never disclosed. Use this guy for this and that guy for that and oh by the way these folks over here will look out for you as well. And we will all make fortunes of the unsuspecting buyers of Real Estate.

Oh well

You wanted to know

And some wonder why I want the buyer to be completely separated from all this. All individual companies handling their needs and all found by the buyer themselves so no one is sticking money into anyone elses pockets and feeding each other.