Default Kick out flashings

From this afternoon's inspection. No kick out flashing where needed, but instead installed in unnecessary locations. Can anyone think of any reason the roofers did this besides not having a clue what they were doing?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Default Re: Kick out flashings

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    From this afternoon's inspection. No kick out flashing where needed, but instead installed in unnecessary locations. Can anyone think of any reason the roofers did this besides not having a clue what they were doing?
    So the installer could answer "yes" when the boss asked if he installed some kick-out flashings

Just last week found HUGE water intrusion and rot problem all because of a missing kickout. It was exaggerated by a downspout directly upstream. This is one of those that often gets an "eyeroll" from agents and sellers but can really lead to a big problem under just the right (or wrong) circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    So the installer could answer "yes" when the boss asked if he installed some kick-out flashings
    I think you're probably right. In fact, that's nearly exactly what I told my clients.

With the wood board and batt siding visible and the (apparent) vinyl siding added (is it original or over the existing) the flashing may be covered by the siding. Can the siding be moved or lifted for a better look?

Greg Filian
    http://www.MobileHomeInspectors.com
    714 612-3564

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    This is one of those that often gets an "eyeroll" from agents and sellers but can really lead to a big problem under just the right (or wrong) circumstances.
    Yes. Here's one of those from last year. The client was a builder, so he had it under control within days of moving in. Sales people don't get to see past the paint, just won't get it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Watch the pics, I do not think this roof needs kick-out installed. The rake/eave corner could be added, also the installed is a better practice but not really necessary. Sorry, did not see the last pic, yes it is better to install it at that roof/wall intersection.

I am always wondering how to install the kick out on a concrete tile roof especially Spanish style.

Last edited by Peter Louis; 11-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.

By the way, Ken did you go up on that roof. It looks like over 10 in 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Watch the pics, I do not think this roof needs kick-out installed. The rake/eave corner could be added, also the installed is a better practice but not really necessary. Sorry, did not see the last pic, yes it is better to install it at that roof/wall intersection.
    Not only is that kick-out flashing "better to install it", it is 'required to install it': (underlining and bold are mine)
    From the IRC, this is from the 2012, but it has been in there since the beginning of the IRC as I recall)
    - R903.2 Flashing.
    - - Flashings shall be installed in a manner that prevents moisture from entering the wall and roof through joints in copings, through moisture permeable materials and at intersections with parapet walls and other penetrations through the roof plane.

No kick-out flashing at the bottom of where the wall and roof meets means that water will - at least water can, and likely will over time - leak in, and that is not allowed.

I am always wondering how to install the kick out on a concrete tile roof especially Spanish style.
    The same way you would with other roof covering systems - the kick-out flashing goes up behind the end of wall flashing and the end diverter projects outward with the tile behind that diverter, leaving enough room for water to drain between the end of the tile and the diverter.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you Jerry, do you have a pic of kickout on barrel tile roof? or anybody does? I have not seen one on tile roof.

By the way, Ken did you go up on that roof. It looks like over 10 in 12.
    Picture #2 is taken from on the roof.

Thank you Jerry, do you have a pic of kickout on barrel tile roof? or anybody does? I have not seen one on tile roof.
    I do, but I'm out of town and don't have one on this computer, I'll see if I can find one.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Actually ... I found a couple of nice ones on this computer.

Not true barrel tile, but Spanish S tile, shows a similar installation to true barrel tile - actually, I just realized that is not Spanish S tile, that is Villa Roll tile, same effect though.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

this is really nice. Again Thank you Jerry.

Peter,

Did you notice how the gutter installers hacked up the drip edge so they could get there gutter end installed .. without regard to the roofer's work and his drip edge.

Gutter installers do that *all the time* - I think the gutter installers should start paying to replace the entire drip edge around the house when they do that ... pay for it *once* and they will either: a) be out of business, or b) *never, ever, do that again*.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hi, Jerry: Do you mean the cut corner of the drip edge which to avoid catching with gutter? Anything wrong with that?
    Actually the drip edge is seldom added in my area.

Forget the Kick-out flashing, how about installing the downspouts !!! I did this place this past Saturday - 11.17.12 - it was built in 2002. There were a total of 5 downspouts needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hintz View Post
    Forget the Kick-out flashing, how about installing the downspouts !!! I did this place this past Saturday - 11.17.12 - it was built in 2002. There were a total of 5 downspouts needed.

Interesting, over 10 yrs, why I did not see the water overflow mark & stain on siding?

Interesting, over 10 yrs, why I did not see the water overflow mark & stain on siding?
    Fresh Paint and raining during inspection - everything is not always as it appears.