dan orourke Guest

Default Re: Crack in foundation?

Neither of those cracks by themselves would alarm me. The crack in the parge coat is small and parging very often cracks. If the foundation behind it had a large crack I would expect the crack in the parge coat to also be large.

The "hairline" stairstep crack in the brick veneer emanating from a corner of a window is very common and not unexpected. Corners of openings (windows and doors) are high stress points and that is where cracks typically begin in brick veneer, stucco, concrete, drywall, plaster, etc.

BUT you said the builder had repaired the foundation at this location AND the crack in the brick veneer is directly above this spot. That would make me want to look at things a little closer. So I don't think it is unreasonable to ask to the builder to expose the foundation by removing the parge coat at this spot. That's actually a pretty good idea. If the builder refuses or if it turns out the parge coat was hiding a crack in the foundation I would report accordingly and recommend further investigation by a qualified, licensed foundation repair contractor or a SE.

I would also recommend the buyer ask the builder for documentation on how the foundation was repaired earlier, if the repair was designed by a SE and if the work was permitted, inspected and approved.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    Do you think this crack in the cosmetic parge coat transmit into the foundation? Directly above in the brick siding, is a stair step crack (about 8 feet long and about "hairline" in width) from the top of the foundation to a bathroom window. There has been a previous repair at this location by the builder. I told my client to have the builder remove the parge coat and ensure there is not a crack in the foundation and if there is, to have a SE design repairs.

Now, my question is, and let's assume there is no crack in the foundation at this location, would you recommend an SE to determine what caused the stair step crack?

The only other evidence of movement was at the center of the house , a couple of floor tiles on the slab where cracked.
    I think that the crack in your picture is just in the parge coat. Most likely the cracked floor tiles are just that, cracked floor tiles could be from an unlevel slab, poor installation, etc. When foundation problems cause floor tiles to break they usually break in a line that runs across many tiles. If I did not see any separations at the windows, doors, frieze boards, crown molding, casement trim, etc., I would most likely just note that I found a crack at X location. Without seeing the crack or the house is it difficult to tell you what I would do.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dan,

I use a small crowbar and tap on parge coats. This tells me how much is loose. Now the question becomes what's the condition behind the parging.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Thyat almost looks like someone sealed up a crawl vent location?